Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test of Seibon Carbon 2nd gen. C6 vented WH-style hood

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 09:13 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Default Test of Seibon Carbon 2nd gen. C6 vented WH-style hood

I had been looking for about 3 years for a vented World Challenge style hood for my street, road course HPDE very modified C6Z. ACP, Black Dog Speed Shop & LG all sell well engineered wind tunnel and track proven versions in full carbon fiber with pricing $$$$ to match.

Seibon Carbon while new to the Corvette crowd is very well known in the drift, tuner, ricer type crowd for nicely done mid range to high end hoods & body parts as well as making some beautiful high end dry carbon parts for the GTR guys.

The WH style hood introduced last year had a few hardware & fitment issues with the 1st C6 version which have been remedied with version 2. Hinge mount point inserts now take factory hardware & the hood is now cutout for the crash hooks.
Attached Images    

Last edited by blkbrd69; 10-06-2015 at 06:21 PM. Reason: off-linking to a non-supporting vendor
Old 07-19-2015, 09:14 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Construction:
Black fiberglass/carbon fiber cloth (not chop) w the top surface having very nice appearing wet carbon overlay. Bonded to a black fiberglass/carbon support frame holding threaded inserts in the inner frame. Stock C6Z hood is a plastic & chop fiberglass matrix.

Version 2 {Release date July 2015} now accepts the factory hardware for mounting.

We can thank dbratten who in this thread https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...6-wh-hood.html helped Julio at Seibon revise and improve the original copy.

Attached to the lower surface is a silver thermal heat shield protecting the lower surface of the hood from the insane heat coming off headers.

Clearance on my Halltech intake is very good, lots of room for air to move.
Attached Images  

Last edited by blkbrd69; 10-06-2015 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Version 2 release date Jul 2015
Old 07-19-2015, 09:16 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Appearance:
The top carbon overlay is so pretty I just can’t bring myself to paint it. Carbon fiber orientation & weave is well done. Slight gold refraction of the black/gray carbon fiber looks great in the sun.

This is a VERY close version of the BD or ACP hood done in a manner that places it in between the weights of the super light full carbon race BD and the heavy fiberglass ACP at a $1,355.00 delivered price, $1,505 with heat barrier direct from Seibon. If buying from a retailer make sure its the version 2 that takes stock factory hardware and is cut for hooks.

Outer layer is a nice match to Katech splitter & spoiler as well as C7 Carbon side skirts. Does make my weathered graphite/epoxy coated marine plywood splitter under-tray look rough.

Airflow:
This models performance should be very similar to the one Katech has tested in a wind tunnel and multiple individuals & teams have been running on track for better cooling and less lift/downforce for years.

There are some minor changes in the layout & edge radius of the vents, but overall should have the same or better airflow characteristics as the World Challenge hood.

Car has DeWitts radiator, Improved Racing oil cooler setup, decent size WCCH cam, LG headers, Chuck COW tune with big HP & runs at Sebring in the summer IE makes alot of heat.
Attached Images    

Last edited by blkbrd69; 10-06-2015 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Price correction
Old 07-19-2015, 09:17 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Weight:
7 pounds lighter than stock at 20 lb w factory hardware installed. Stock is 27 lb w hardware and heat/sound shield.
Installed on car takes it 13 pounds of lift at aft center edge to raise unlatched hood, stock hood took 18 lb.

Flexibility:
The stock hood flexes 2.5” when lifting from an aft outside corner, this hood flexes 8”. Easy enough to lift and close holding closer to center as it is quite a bit lighter than stock.
If you try and lift or close from outside edges like stock the hood can miss the latches and not properly catch.
When latched it’s very stiff showing little flex even pulling up on vent corners. Have only had hood to 130 MPH and noticed no flex or vibration, Daytona near 180 will soon tell the story on that.
Attached Images    

Last edited by blkbrd69; 10-06-2015 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:19 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

When I ordered my hood direct from Seibon they were still waiting for “revision 2” to arrive from China. It took 26 days and they were nice enough not to even ask for payment till it was inspected and ready to ship.

Installation:

Took me about 15 minutes to attach the factory latches & bumper then install hood with a helper to hold.

You can see where I used a silver paint marker to mark hinges where stock hood goes. Installed hoods on this car probably 10 times and fitment was very easy.

Installed hood without latches, adjusted screw bumpers for fair. Then installed latch hooks, ended up with 2 washers under right latch hook so I didn't have to change latch adjustment on car as I will be swapping hoods for track days just like brake pads and seats.

Minor adjustments got fitment very close to factory w side edges matched up very well did note slight downward curves on hood corners.

I am not much of a waxer type as can be seen by my dirty wheels and dull checked wood splitter, but it is kinda sexy even for a track rat. Overall appearance impression, I really like it.

Track temperature data and handling impressions to follow.

Thinking the C7 track guys really need one of these to help with their overheating issues.
Attached Images      

Last edited by blkbrd69; 10-06-2015 at 06:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
F N new guy (07-10-2022)
Old 07-20-2015, 07:15 AM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by blkbrd69
We can thank dbratten who in this thread https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...6-wh-hood.html helped Julio at Seibon revise and improve the original copy.
Thank you, Matt. I am very pleased to see the changes turn out so well. Contacting Seibon has been an excellent experience as they really want a quality product and took my suggestions to heart. They are exchanging my 1st gen hood for the new one due to the small mounting issues I had.

I look forward to your findings. I haven't collected data but I am sure temps are down. I haven't been over 130 or so either but I am guessing the hood has no problems at higher speeds.

--Dan
Old 07-20-2015, 03:15 PM
phxcobra
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Should you

Take off the bee hive and let air run through party the filter out the hood? That's how I have mine now, bee hive off.no testing yet.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:00 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Originally Posted by phxcobra
Take off the bee hive and let air run through party the filter out the hood? That's how I have mine now, bee hive off.no testing yet.
Jim Hall can provide a much better answer than I ever could.

The shroud really is needed here in Florida with the torrential rains, tried running for a while without the shroud and got tons of sand filling the filter.

Data logs both with my first vented hood, no hood and original hood showed the shroud (Beehive) actually does whats advertised in the way of intake temperature and MAF signal smoothing.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:48 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Nice piece...
Old 07-21-2015, 06:39 PM
greatgonzer
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Love the look of this hood on your ride! Nice touch
Old 07-21-2015, 08:12 PM
A-A-Ron
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Very nice writeup. How were the gaps and edges? I dont do tracks or bad weather drives, but I was wondering about having fully opened vents. Is there anything for some rain/car washing instances? How would it look without the silver heat barrier?
Thanks.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:24 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Originally Posted by A-A-Ron
Very nice writeup. How were the gaps and edges? I dont do tracks or bad weather drives, but I was wondering about having fully opened vents. Is there anything for some rain/car washing instances? How would it look without the silver heat barrier?
Thanks.
The gaps are straight and just like factory. Edges of hood are well finished. The corners do exhibit a slight bit of curve down, only noticeable if looking for it. Have seen this on most aftermarket hoods, and many factory fiberglass ones also.

Really do not see the need for a vented hood on a car that does not see road course track use. Hood is augmenting a larger radiator, oil cooler, oil tank, splitter and extended undertray.

Sort of a viscous cycle. Install larger radiator, stick big oil cooler in front of radiator then need vented hood to allow better airflow.

I imagine bottom of hood is flat black under the heat barrier just like bottom frame {pictured}.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:40 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Rained every day since I installed hood.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:55 PM
A-A-Ron
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Im just really liking the style. I still have a warranty, so im not doing real HP gains. I have the Corsa carbon fiber CAI and thought something like this painted with the louvers left untouched would compliment my black GS. Just wasnt sure how it would be for those days when it does rain. But clearly you are testing out that functionality. I imagine itsI messy as hell under that hood.
Thanks again for all the great info. Do you have a contact at Seibon or a vendor that has the version 2?
Old 08-09-2015, 04:20 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Added some .063" thick aluminum washers between hood and rear latches to perfectly fair hood. .820" dia.x.278" hole. That way it uses the same latch position as my stock hood and no other adjustment is needed when swapping hoods.

Hood has been working out great for everyday driving, I do think it affects the rain more than waxing does?

Engine temps are lower on the street even with pool screen covering front grill opening preventing bugs, leaves and flowers from being vacuumed into radiator, does move lots of air.

As to rain entering vents. Yes it does get wet, however not as much as I expected. Much of stock electrical system has more than one moisture intrusion protection. The vents are shaped so that unless water hits directly on vent it flows to sides and is not funneled in by the gallon.
Attached Images  

Last edited by blkbrd69; 10-02-2015 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:53 AM
5280Racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice work...
Old 08-12-2015, 05:55 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

looks awesome! any reason why you were not happy with the TrackSpec setup you had before or why switch?

will be really interested in how the hood holds up in big MPH speed sections and what you think.

Get notified of new replies

To Test of Seibon Carbon 2nd gen. C6 vented WH-style hood

Old 08-12-2015, 07:39 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Originally Posted by neverstop
looks awesome! any reason why you were not happy with the TrackSpec setup you had before or why switch?
will be really interested in how the hood holds up in big MPH speed sections and what you think.
I was very happy with the TrackSpec louvers, and I did such a nice job on them. They worked great.

I am just one of those mechanic/engineer tinkerers that can't leave anything alone. The standard has always been a World Challenge hood and you can never have enough cooling at Sebring.

Not sure about all those treads popping up in the C6 section with guys cutting up their original stock hoods?

Hood looks so good I had to pull my splitter/undertray last week and refinish it.

Cooling will be data logged in 7 weeks at Sebring. Speed Daytona 3 weeks after that.

Last edited by blkbrd69; 08-13-2015 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:49 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Originally Posted by A-A-Ron
Im just really liking the style. I still have a warranty, so im not doing real HP gains. I have the Corsa carbon fiber CAI and thought something like this painted with the louvers left untouched would compliment my black GS. Just wasnt sure how it would be for those days when it does rain. But clearly you are testing out that functionality. I imagine itsI messy as hell under that hood.
Thanks again for all the great info. Do you have a contact at Seibon or a vendor that has the version 2?
This hood was one of the first gen 2 hoods into the states. At this point some venders are probably receiving them. Will just have to verify before shipping its the revised hood. Nothing on the outside of the box to differentiate.

Working ... direct with Seibon has been a great experience and an item like this may be safer to deal direct.

Last edited by savewave; 10-02-2015 at 09:47 AM. Reason: off-linking to a non-supporting vendor
Old 08-13-2015, 08:50 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

nice! I can understand that. It looks like I'll most likely be track testing the trackspec vents at the next event so I'll be using your DIY for the install, thanks!

I'm going to guess this hood will cool even better than the louvers as a function of the big main vent being further forward to where the fan exhausts and provide even better down force. data and testing will tell!

Quick Reply: Test of Seibon Carbon 2nd gen. C6 vented WH-style hood