Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Super Sports on track

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 02:39 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Michelin Pilot Super Sports on track

How many track days have you gotten out of your MPSS'?

I have 14 on mine and the tread appears to have enough for several more but the traction in brake zones seems to be non-existent.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:22 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by TKOGTO

I have 14 on mine and the tread appears to have enough for several more but the traction in brake zones seems to be non-existent.
Wow, that's pretty good. I got 5 days out of mine but that was ~16 hours of track time. They were doing ok but like the Cup2's once they start to go off the car pushes like mad. I tend to slide the front a lot once that happens and they wear out very quickly from there. Here is what my last set of front's looked like at the end.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:25 PM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't know how many days I have one mine, but they have been wearing well for me. My issue is I'm definitely wearing the outside of the tires more, especially fronts. I see myself getting to cords on the outside and still having tread on the rest of the tire.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:26 PM
AlphaKing
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have about 9 on mine and about 6k street miles. Tread is still abundant, but they get very greasy after a lap or two. Should be just fine for the street, but I'll be ordering a new set before my next track weekend. Great all around tire.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:44 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Wow, that's pretty good. I got 5 days out of mine but that was ~16 hours of track time. They were doing ok but like the Cup2's once they start to go off the car pushes like mad. I tend to slide the front a lot once that happens and they wear out very quickly from there. Here is what my last set of front's looked like at the end.
That's some impressive wear - mine don't look anything like that. Until recently I ran modest front camber ~1.5*. Last 2 or 3 events pushed it out to ~2.2*. Yours look like the latter.

I count about 22 hours on mine, ~ 2.1k track miles, ~ 8k after adding in the street.

Are these tires from the C7 Z06?
Old 08-12-2015, 03:58 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AlphaKing
I have about 9 on mine and about 6k street miles. Tread is still abundant, but they get very greasy after a lap or two. Should be just fine for the street, but I'll be ordering a new set before my next track weekend. Great all around tire.
Same here on the tread and the grip. Although I have slid all around the last 2 events, I attributed that to very high track temps. As a proxy, the one time I checked the paddock it was 127*. The brake zone grip hasn't been there all year.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:26 PM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by AlphaKing
Same here on the tread and the grip. Although I have slid all around the last 2 events, I attributed that to very high track temps. As a proxy, the one time I checked the paddock it was 127*. The brake zone grip hasn't been there all year.
I've only noticed any slippery feeling when my pressures were too high or too low.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:57 PM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

That's some impressive wear - mine don't look anything like that. Until recently I ran modest front camber ~1.5*. Last 2 or 3 events pushed it out to ~2.2*. Yours look like the latter.

I count about 22 hours on mine, ~ 2.1k track miles, ~ 8k after adding in the street.

What alignment are you running now, and is this on the Grand Sport noted in your profile? Also did you feel a difference when you install the tunnel plate?
Old 08-12-2015, 07:37 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Yes, this is on a C7 Z06 running the recommended track alignment of -2.0 camber all the way around. The Cup 2's didn't wear so much on the inside but more on the first tread block out from the inside. I think part of my problem is that ~8 hours of that track time was on a track with a lot of off camber turns.

Like I said before, once they reach a certain point of wear they lose grip dramatically on the fronts. Once I start sliding the fronts it pretty much peels the tread block off the tire in short order.

I'm going to run Hoosiers starting this weekend I'll be curious to see how they wear on this car as it's the exact same setup I run on my C6Z. On the C6Z even with -2.8 camber front and poly bushings they will eventually wear out the outside shoulder.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:15 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I haven't run those tires but had those issues before. I learned that just because the tire has plenty of tread left doesn't mean it hasn't been heat cycled out. Then your grip is done.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:40 PM
VetteNinja69
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are great tires for the rain, I drove on a wet track once and it was still really slippery, but a lot better than I would have thought. They are really really greasy after 20 minutes. I was thinking about scrubs, but then I would have to tow on a trailer that I don't even own. Not to mention it would be more costly on the brakes/rotors, as well as the diff.

Besides pilot sport cups, is there anything in between PSS and full slicks?
Old 08-12-2015, 10:42 PM
VetteNinja69
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also I have 6 hrs of track time on mine and they look great. Do you guys buy HPDE insurance?
Old 08-13-2015, 07:21 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteNinja69
Also I have 6 hrs of track time on mine and they look great. Do you guys buy HPDE insurance?
YES, if you can't afford to just walk away you need it
Old 08-13-2015, 08:00 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by VetteNinja69
Yes
I quickly realized that one to two cars get eaten by the track at every event I attend. For me a 25k car isn't something I can laugh off as I toss the keys to the scrap metal guy. Since the probability of me winning the lottery 1:a billion is less than my car getting busted up 1:100 I buy insurance.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:49 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
I haven't run those tires but had those issues before. I learned that just because the tire has plenty of tread left doesn't mean it hasn't been heat cycled out. Then your grip is done.
A lesson that I am just beginning to figure out.

Experience:
Kumho XS - 17 days, still had what appeared to have enough tread to last a day or 2 more and some grip left.
Nitto NT-05 - 6 days, plenty of tread, no grip left. In fact they were at least partially responsible for stuffing it into a tire wall (had insurance then and always do).
MPSS - 14 days, a fair amount of tread left, little grip left.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:53 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

A lesson that I am just beginning to figure out.

Experience:
Kumho XS - 17 days, still had what appeared to have enough tread to last a day or 2 more and some grip left.
Nitto NT-05 - 6 days, plenty of tread, no grip left. In fact they were at least partially responsible for stuffing it into a tire wall (had insurance then and always do).
MPSS - 14 days, a fair amount of tread left, little grip left.
I ran the 555RII's at the time. I had like 9 days on them and plenty of tread left but they just wouldn't grip. That is when my racing buddy asked me how many heat cycles they had.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:03 AM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by truth.b
What alignment are you running now, and is this on the Grand Sport noted in your profile? Also did you feel a difference when you install the tunnel plate?
Yes, a GS.
Front: -2.20* camber, 8.50* caster, 1/16th total toe out
Rear: -1.40* camber, 1/16th total toe in

Re: tunnel plate - I did, although back when it was installed, I can not profess to a finely tuned rear-end dyno so it could have been a placebo effect. I would still do it again if I had a do-over as I recall a possible placebo effect w/r/t interior temps as well.

Last edited by TKOGTO; 08-17-2015 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:28 PM
fmcokc
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Here's what happened to us after ~5 hours in an endurance race at MAM last month on PSS's. Left side tires shed the outside 1/3 of the tread.

Name:  IMG_3140_zpsn01cfxlc.jpg
Views: 995
Size:  277.5 KB
Old 08-17-2015, 10:25 PM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I am running a square 295/35-18 setup on a C5Z with neg 2.2 up front and neg 1.5 out back. Usually plan on having the tires at 35-36 lb when hot so start around 27 lb cold.

I found them easy to drive and wear is not bad but they clearly overheat after a few laps and get quite greasy and slower. Not really sure if they are heat cycling out but lots of treadwear left after 7 track days and 1400 street miles.

Interestingly (but not surprising) they are sig faster with cooler track temps.

Very good in the wet but overall dry grip is no match for Rivals or RS3s and likely compatible with the 300 treadwear rating.

Would I buy them again? Not for Time-Attack but might be good for Chump Car.

Get notified of new replies

To Michelin Pilot Super Sports on track

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Super Sports on track