Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake fluid - how long to keep open bottle

Old 08-19-2015, 08:49 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Default Brake fluid - how long to keep open bottle

I know the general idea is that once you open a bottle of brake fluid, you allow air to enter and it is magically no good. However, with an expensive bottle like Castrol SRF, how long is it recommended to use a bottle of previously opened fluid. For example, when bleeding brakes at the track or before a track day and you have a bottle that is 1-2 months old. Unless the cap was just left off, I can't imagine the fluid could have absorbed enough water to be no good right? Would a test strip reveal anything? If I have to do a quick bleed and only put a few ounces through the system, there is no way I am going to throw away a relatively new bottle of SRF. If it was some off the shelf cheap stuff, maybe.

Just curious, thanks!
Old 08-19-2015, 10:00 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Before you put the cap back on, squeeze most of the air out of the plastic bottle and then put the cap on.

We bleed the calipers for every event but I've used fluid that's been in the shop all season (stored properly) and never had a problem.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:04 AM
speedracernc
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

anyone use one of these?

Amazon.com: OTC 4598 Brake Fluid Tester: Automotive Amazon.com: OTC 4598 Brake Fluid Tester: Automotive
Old 08-19-2015, 11:24 AM
miracle_whip4130
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracernc
Interesting, I've never used one of those.

I'm of the same thinking of the OP that if you just use a bottle of fluid once and then seal it for a couple months, it should still be ok, but don't have any hard facts to back it up other than never having my fluid boil (knock on wood).
Old 08-19-2015, 11:27 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't have one but one of the instructors at an event I attended had something similar. You dip it in and it displayed the boiling point. I had him test some old fluid I had in a bleed bottle and was surprised it read something like 375 if I remember correctly. Thought it would be lower as it was very old.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:45 AM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracernc
I've used several different models of continuity brake fluid testers and they accurately display moisture content. Great for checking street car brake fluid for moisture, however I tested my track car brake fluid (ATE Gold) after an event in 98 degree temps and it still tested good, the same as the opened brake fluid I had left over from the pre track bleed.

While not a replacement for good track maintenance, it is a good tool to draw the line for "compromised" brake fluid. I tested several opened DOT 4 and in every case, they tested good. I can see the value of testing brake fluid during a track tech session. failed brake fluid does not belong on the track. Even my street cars that had brake fluid replacement during the last few months easily passed.

Last edited by ZedO6; 08-19-2015 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:29 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,969 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I remember reading someone on the famous oil discussion site tested a partially used bottle of Super Blue over the years and found that the boiling point had dropped (only) 5 degrees after 7 years. I suspect the metal bottle (instead of plastic) helped in that case, but that's at least a data point for reference.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:33 PM
johnny c
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

i bleed the brakes after every event a bottle only lasts a few weeks. on the street cars i use what i have around but wouldn't use anything from a container that was more them 3 months old.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:08 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Thanks for all the replies, and about what I expected. Some who say it is fine and that the boiling point does not really change and others who will swear by changing fluid every week.

I think so long as the fluid is within a couple months from when the seal was initially cracked, I'll continue to use the old bottles. If this was a cheaper fluid, I would have no problem bleeding completely fresh fluid every track day, but part of the premises behind SRF is to not need to do this, in my opinion.

I guess this tool might be the real ticket, but I'm not going to spend the $300 on it.
Amazon.com: OTC 3890 Brake Fluid Safety Meter: Automotive Amazon.com: OTC 3890 Brake Fluid Safety Meter: Automotive
Old 08-19-2015, 04:58 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

SRF is awesome stuff. I probably have bottles over a year old that I would still not hesitate to use, but I rarely have to bleed my brakes anyway. I've never had a fluid issue since the day I started using it several years ago.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:09 PM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by redtopz
SRF is awesome stuff. I probably have bottles over a year old that I would still not hesitate to use, but I rarely have to bleed my brakes anyway. I've never had a fluid issue since the day I started using it several years ago.
Your input on brake fluid doesn't count, I've watched your in-car videos and you never use your brakes!
Old 08-20-2015, 12:57 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Semi-related question. Does everyone replace res fluid when bleeding? Or just top off after bleeding?

I do both depending on fluid age, bottles onhand, and laziness. Do you think the fluid in the line (near calipers) recirculates or mixes with res fluid?
Old 08-20-2015, 02:17 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 367 Likes on 303 Posts

Every year I open a new bottle in summer and use till it is gone. I don't have any problem using an open bottle for a year.

The fluid at the caliper really doesn't mix much at all. The first bleed pump always is a different color than the next ones.

Once a year I bleed the reservoir out of old fluid then add new.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:13 PM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Joshboody
Semi-related question. Does everyone replace res fluid when bleeding? Or just top off after bleeding?

I do both depending on fluid age, bottles onhand, and laziness. Do you think the fluid in the line (near calipers) recirculates or mixes with res fluid?
I always use a turkey baster to suck as much old fluid as I can out of the reservoir and then refill with fresh prior to bleeding. The heat up cool down cycles the reservoir fluid goes through during a track day is why it accumulates moisture and never tests out like new fluid when I test it. Why go through the effort to bleed the system with old fluid? Sucking the reservoir dry and replacing with fresh takes another 5 mins.

I think these are all good questions and you'll likely get as much variation in practices and methods as a motor oil discussion.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:59 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedO6
Your input on brake fluid doesn't count, I've watched your in-car videos and you never use your brakes!
Old 08-20-2015, 10:02 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,071 Likes on 643 Posts

SRF does not absorb water. If the cap is on and you didn't intentionally or otherwise add water to it somehow it's fine. It is not hygroscopic. Most other brake fluids are. If you notice SRF wet boiling point is higher than the other brake fluids available. SRF is worth it.

Hygroscopic - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygroscopy
Wikipedia
Hygroscopy is the ability of a substance to attract and hold water molecules from the surrounding environment. This is achieved through either absorption or adsorption with the absorbing or adsorbing substance becoming physically changed somewhat.

Brembo LCF600 Dry: 316°C (601°F) Wet: 204°C (399°F)

CASTROL SRF Dry: 310°C (590°F) Wet: 270°C (518°F)

MOTUL RBF600 Dry: 312°C (594°F) Wet: 216°C (421°F)
Old 08-20-2015, 11:25 PM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Joshboody

Originally Posted by Racingswh
SRF does not absorb water. If the cap is on and you didn't intentionally or otherwise add water to it somehow it's fine. It is not hygroscopic. Most other brake fluids are. If you notice SRF wet boiling point is higher than the other brake fluids available. SRF is worth it.

Hygroscopic - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygroscopy
Wikipedia
Hygroscopy is the ability of a substance to attract and hold water molecules from the surrounding environment. This is achieved through either absorption or adsorption with the absorbing or adsorbing substance becoming physically changed somewhat.

Brembo LCF600 Dry: 316°C (601°F) Wet: 204°C (399°F)

CASTROL SRF Dry: 310°C (590°F) Wet: 270°C (518°F)

MOTUL RBF600 Dry: 312°C (594°F) Wet: 216°C (421°F)
Castrol SRF, like other glycol or ester based brake fluids absorbs moisture. That is why Castrol calls out a wet boiling point in their product spec. Awesome wet spec considering it's still over 500 F and that's at nearly 4% by weight water!

Don't believe me?

Castrol® React SRF™ Racing Brake Fluid

Castrol SRF is the ultimate racing brake fluid.
Its unique silicon ester technology absorbs less water than conventional glycol ether fluids and prevents the fluid's high-temperature performance from deteriorating.It's high boiling point, ability to withstand extreme temperatures and superior resistance to the effects of absorbed water have established Castrol SRF Brake Fluid as the world's premier fluid for the hydraulic brakes used in all forms of motorsport and racing.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake fluid - how long to keep open bottle

Old 08-21-2015, 12:10 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ZedO6
Castrol SRF, like other glycol or ester based brake fluids absorbs moisture. That is why Castrol calls out a wet boiling point in their product spec. Awesome wet spec considering it's still over 500 F and that's at nearly 4% by weight water!

Don't believe me?

Castrol® React SRF™ Racing Brake Fluid

Castrol SRF is the ultimate racing brake fluid.
Its unique silicon ester technology absorbs less water than conventional glycol ether fluids and prevents the fluid's high-temperature performance from deteriorating.It's high boiling point, ability to withstand extreme temperatures and superior resistance to the effects of absorbed water have established Castrol SRF Brake Fluid as the world's premier fluid for the hydraulic brakes used in all forms of motorsport and racing.
Thank you. I was incorrectly of the belief that it did not absorb water/moisture at all.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:21 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

I like this description of Castrol SRF the best and it certainly clarifies for me why it works so well.

CASTROL SRF RACING BRAKE FLUID

An ultra high performance product formulated specifically to satisfy the ever increasing stresses placed upon the braking systems used in international motorsport. The exceptional performance of Castrol SRF is due to a novel silicon ester technology pioneered by Castrol and unique to the extent that it has been granted patent-protection in numerous countries throughout the world.

Safe for all non-mineral oil-based disc and drum brake systems.
Exclusive European formula!
Exceptionally high dry boiling point of 590ºF (Wet 518ºF).
Superior anti-vapor lock properties
Less hygroscopic than conventional brake fluids - it absorbs less water in a given time. Secondly, unlike conventional glycol ether fluids, Castrol SRF reacts chemically with the absorbed water to reduce its
adverse effects, thus preventing the fluid's high temperature performance and safety margins from deteriorating as rapidly as they would otherwise do.

Miscible with all conventional brake fluids conforming to these standards. However, mixing Castrol SRF and conventional brake fluids will reduce the benefits of Castrol SRF. It is
strongly recommended that conventional brake fluid be drained from the system before flushing and refilling with Castrol SRF.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:15 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Since a refrigerator is a dehumidifier............Anyone try to keep it in there to stop it from soaking up moisture?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake fluid - how long to keep open bottle