Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 04:25 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Suspension recommendations

Blew the front JOC/Pfadt shocks yesterday and am looking for ideas to replace these and/or step up to coilovers. So:
  1. what would be a good replacement shock?
  2. do the shocks need to match the sways?
  3. if going to coilovers, what is recommended without braking the bank?

Car is a 2010 GS, driven about 80% track, 20% street. Usually run MPSS tires but in interest of better lap times, I switched to R888s. Not likely I will go back MPSS or similar tires. Goals are:
  1. better lap times via improved handling (less dive, squat under brake, throttle, flatter thru corners, etc.)
  2. better feedback from the chassis / steering if possible
  3. reasonable price (no Moton or Penske)
4. ability to easily adjust to/from street/track setups

Last edited by TKOGTO; 08-22-2015 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:52 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Either DRM's or LG's should serve you well for a dual purpose car.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:23 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Bolt on a set of LG GT2 coil overs and be done with it. Night and day better than the "P" brand you had on there. You're better off running their sways, but you can always change them later. I found that my Pfadt sways weren't doing much due to the splines on the ends of the bar allowing so much rotation before actually engaging the links.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:39 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The ideal setup is LG G2 (not GT2) coilovers, LG Monoball suspension, and T1 bars with adjustable end links. GT2 is Chinese adjustable stuff, skip it. G2 is Bilstein non-adjustable. Let Anthony spec the springs and damping and you will find a great setup. Yes it is non-adjustable but trust me it is faster than 97% of the folks on track and they are trying to fiddle with *****. After 2 years of racing my G2's went on a shock dyno proactively to confirm they were not in need of a rebuild. Bottom line: there were perfect: shock guy said they were so consistent side to side that he finds many new higher priced shocks did not show the same repeatability when new! In addition, I tried stiffer spring rates then Anthony recommended and went > 2 seconds slower (jumped 200lbs front and 100lbs rear). I THOUGHT I had too much dive/squat but as it turned out that was necessary mechanical grip and going stiffer made the car a lot slower.

My .02..
Old 08-24-2015, 09:28 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

^agree with the above posts. I just switched over to everything LG (coming from Pfadts)....lets just say I finally know how a car should really handle when driven like a track car. Went with G2 coils and G1 sways.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:33 AM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by LFZ
^agree with the above posts. I just switched over to everything LG (coming from Pfadts)....lets just say I finally know how a car should really handle when driven like a track car. Went with G2 coils and G1 sways.
Is a change to coilovers a waste without a change to poly or delrin bushings as well?
Old 08-24-2015, 09:47 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I ran mine for a short time with just the G2 coilovers and stock bushings, it was noticeably better. When I went with the MonoBall bushings a short time later I could drive the car with my fingertips at the edge of traction the whole way around the track, sliding the front or rear at will (no aero).
Old 08-24-2015, 04:54 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by TKOGTO
Is a change to coilovers a waste without a change to poly or delrin bushings as well?
no it isn't but if you can afford it it is the way to go

Get notified of new replies

To Suspension recommendations

Quick Reply: Suspension recommendations