Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions on TUDOR Championship & Recent BOP Changes

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 10:05 PM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Questions on TUDOR Championship & Recent BOP Changes

Hey guys,

I was watching the GTLM race today at VIR and I'm curious as to what has happened lately. I missed a few races this season but I have watched both Road American & VIR and I'm confused. I hope this doesn't start an argument but has BOP changed to favor the Porsches because they have been incredibly fast for the last 2 races. I get that a team can have a surge but it was like watching a race for podium and then half a lap later watching the race for 4th-6th.

My specific questions:
  • Has BOP been changed, or am I imagining it?
  • How is BOP decided and implemented?
  • Has Porsche & Ferrari received favorable adjustments?
  • Has Corvette & BMW received non-favorable BOP adjustments?
Old 08-24-2015, 08:34 AM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,972 Likes on 1,031 Posts

See my notes in-line below.

Originally Posted by truth.b
Hey guys,

I was watching the GTLM race today at VIR and I'm curious as to what has happened lately. I missed a few races this season but I have watched both Road American & VIR and I'm confused. I hope this doesn't start an argument but has BOP changed to favor the Porsches because they have been incredibly fast for the last 2 races. I get that a team can have a surge but it was like watching a race for podium and then half a lap later watching the race for 4th-6th.

My specific questions:
  • Has BOP been changed, or am I imagining it?
    Yes, BOP Changed. Porsche and Ferrari were given weight breaks 2 races ago
  • How is BOP decided and implemented?

In theory, they collect tons of data from the cars/teams and make changes to make the cars even. In reality, lots of politics, because if teams pull out because they can't win, the race goes away. Corvette and BMW were first 2 in standings, so others get to go win the rest....
  • Has Porsche & Ferrari received favorable adjustments?

Yes, per above weight reductions. Porsche had some aero adjustments as well that probably countered some of the weight
  • Has Corvette & BMW received non-favorable BOP adjustments?

Not recently, the last round was just Porsche and Ferrari gains, but that's the 4th change for the year. That is the last change for the year according the rules as well, but they've modified the rules before.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:05 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Watched the race on TV. With only 8 cars running most of the time, it got boring quickly. Maybe Ford joining in next year will add some vitality, if not I can see this series dying a quick death.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:08 AM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Porsche was also runing a new Michelin tire.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:18 AM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

IT seems TUDOR just will not be happy unless a European team wins. Race after race they impose power/weight restrictions on the Corvette team. When they STILL win...
NOW they put a restrictor in the fuel hose so pit stops take longer.

SERIOUSLY??? "Fixing" pit stops now??
Old 08-24-2015, 09:55 AM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by jbondfl
IT seems TUDOR just will not be happy unless a European team wins. Race after race they impose power/weight restrictions on the Corvette team. When they STILL win...

I read that they were going to reduce the fuel nozzle by 0.25mm but are all the teams running the same nozzle size. Meaning are they bring team corvette is spec with everyone or are they at disadvantage.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:26 AM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,972 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
Watched the race on TV. With only 8 cars running most of the time, it got boring quickly. Maybe Ford joining in next year will add some vitality, if not I can see this series dying a quick death.
This was the most boring race ever. With the 2 faster classes not running, no yellow flags to bunch the field, and a very imbalanced class, there was no drama at all. If you haven't watched the series outside of this race, give it another shot, because it is usually better than this. With all 4 classes on track, cars that normally can't pass use traffic to their advantage and it keeps things closer and more interesting.

Originally Posted by TARANTULA
Porsche was also runing a new Michelin tire.
Everyone in that class except for the Falken tire Porsche (obviously) was running the new Michelin tire.

Originally Posted by jbondfl

I really don't think they want a "European" team to win, or are anti-Corvette. Remember, they messed up the balance badly last year as well resulting in a Viper win. They just can't leave well enough alone. If a team is not good enough to win on their own (due to strategy, pit stops, reliability, drivers, etc...) they make them so much faster that they can win. They are trying to keep the manufacturers interested so that they spread the wealth. Unfortunately, Corvette has been capable of winning without having the faster car (due to the above) and so the others get help.

As far as fueling, I don't think they actually made the change they said they were going to, but either way, I don't have a problem with it in this class if they are creating an equal fueling time. These cars are production-based, and so fuel cell locations are somewhat limited. I want the manufacturers to be encouraged to build the safest fueling system they can, without worrying about how quickly they can get fuel in the car. Build something safe, and let the series even out the performance of the fuel. Should be easy to do, every car takes xxx amount of time to get xxxx gallons in.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:27 AM
GCRoberts
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think I'm going to give IMSA one more year to make these races "REAL" and not all about caving to the team that whines the most. I understand (but still hate) BOP adjustments.

Last year I was at Watkins Glen when the finish was (1)Corvette, (2)Viper, (3)Viper, (4)Corvette....then other cars close behind. The Viper would have won the race if they didn't screw up their pit stops. So in a 6 hr race, Corvette BARELY won in a race where the Vipers had the faster car. The next race, they slowed down the Vettes, and gave breaks to the Vipers. HUH????

Did Viper threaten to leave GTLM? Well, they let them win races after that and they still left. How about IMSA get some ***** and adjust BOP based on pace, not politics. If teams leave, so be it. What about fans leaving? From what I can see at these races, there are FAR more Corvette fans than any other fans.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:34 PM
Whis9
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

I am about done, pay a few bucks for the WEC season and be done.

Much better racing and much better tracks
Old 08-24-2015, 02:44 PM
wkidvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I have followed and attended many sports car racing events since the mid 1960's and the last two years since the mergers of Rolex and American Lemans the racing has been terrible. These organizations had too many differences in their classes and culture to make for an effective merger.

With the imblanced BOP modifications and less than 10 cars participating in the GTLM class its not worth watching. For good competition to take place, there needs to be more vehicles and fewer restrictions placed on the faster cars. But its all about politics and not about what is best for the fans.

I want to see good competitive GT racing and therefore in lieu of the Tudor division, I follow and attend events which are part of the Continental Tire series and Pirelli World Challenge.

The best thing that could happen to the IMSA, is for all the GTLM factory teams to pull out and go elsewhere to play.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:18 PM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

Boost Of Porsche ........ they killed the series for me. Last year sucked Viper *****, and now this crap
Old 08-24-2015, 10:03 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

It's not really "Balance of Power", it's "Balance of Outcome" !!!

Old 08-25-2015, 02:53 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The qualifying and racing was really really close in GTLM until recently.
Keep in mind that Bamber and Tandy were faster than Nico Hulkenberg at Le Mans with very little P1 track time...not to mention they won the whole shooting match. Bamber set the track record at RA having run all of 4 dry laps there (rained on Friday), ever (prior to qualifying), so he is basically putting in alien-like performances.
These imbalances/streaks ebb and flow, I wouldn't be surprised if IMSA reverses the recent rules tweak.
Save for the last few GTLM races, the IMSA racing has been very very good this year.

Get notified of new replies

To Questions on TUDOR Championship & Recent BOP Changes

Quick Reply: Questions on TUDOR Championship & Recent BOP Changes