Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Durometer Readings for the Hoosier A7

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 08:52 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Durometer Readings for the Hoosier A7

What kind of durometer readings are you seeing with the Hoosier A7, warm/hot?

I am trying to figure out if I got a bad set or if my readings are typical.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:37 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by l98tpi
What kind of durometer readings are you seeing with the Hoosier A7, warm/hot?

I am trying to figure out if I got a bad set or if my readings are typical.
I have never taken them hot but cold I get 50/60 with a Longacre tool fwiw. That's with just a few runs on them.

What is your concern more specifically?

What tool are you using?
Old 08-28-2015, 11:53 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by froggy47
I have never taken them hot but cold I get 50/60 with a Longacre tool fwiw. That's with just a few runs on them.

What is your concern more specifically?

What tool are you using?
I get in the high 50's/low 60's cold but cold is irrelevant. The reading when at operating temp is what matters. So far my A6's have been lower and they had several runs on them and sat over the winter.

My concern is grip. I dont feel the A7's grip as good as the A6's. This may be the reason the A7's are supposed to last longer. Just trying to figure it out.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:20 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I measure cold because it's more a constant, hot temps can be all over the place depending on ambients, design of course, etc.

I went from a6 to a7 & am very happy with grip & wear.

Maybe you have something else going on?

Here is socal nothing sits over the winter. Maybe that's it?

Last edited by froggy47; 08-29-2015 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:11 PM
Xian
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't run Hoosiers (any more) but *everyone* I've spoken with has liked the A7/R7 at least as much as the prior tire... they're also getting better life and going faster.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:18 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

The A7 is stiffer than the A6. If you have a really stiff car, you might well need to soften it some to make them happy. I've found them just as fast as A6's, but sharper to respond and on lower grip surfaces they, particularly on cold tire runs, aren't able to be leaned on quite as hard.

I've run both, a lot. Sometimes back to back. At the NCM Match Tour I opted to run A6 as they were less darty and more tolerant of slip angle on that low grip surface. And I had not made any changes at that time to make the A7's happy. Since I've taken a good hunk of front rebound out to slow the nose down vs. A6, that's about it.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:13 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
The A7 is stiffer than the A6. If you have a really stiff car, you might well need to soften it some to make them happy. I've found them just as fast as A6's, but sharper to respond and on lower grip surfaces they, particularly on cold tire runs, aren't able to be leaned on quite as hard.

I've run both, a lot. Sometimes back to back. At the NCM Match Tour I opted to run A6 as they were less darty and more tolerant of slip angle on that low grip surface. And I had not made any changes at that time to make the A7's happy. Since I've taken a good hunk of front rebound out to slow the nose down vs. A6, that's about it.
Thanks for the info Sam.

Today I ran anD checked the tires, and readings were 45 to 48 warm. And they seemed to grip a lot better and felt like the A6's used too. Today's runs were run numbers 21 to 27. So maybe it takes a few runs to get thEm to their best grip, where as A6's seem to be there right out of the gate.

Get notified of new replies

To Durometer Readings for the Hoosier A7

Quick Reply: Durometer Readings for the Hoosier A7