Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NCM Demise Greatly Exaggerated!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 07:04 PM
Horseshow Manager
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default NCM Demise Greatly Exaggerated!

Just finished up the 3 day GT Track Day event. The rumors of the demise of NCM Motorsport Park have been greatly exaggerated👍 The group that is causing the issue are never going to be able to shut down the track thru the courts so they are going to accomplish that by scaring off events and people signed up for them! That way with no money coming in the track is closed down. DO NOT allow this to happen!!
Do not allow a small group who are NEVER going to be satisfied no matter how quiet it becomes to shut down one of the top tracks in the country!!
Old 08-31-2015, 09:38 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

The more I learn of the matter it does appear that this has probably been given way more attention than it deserves or warrants. I am not sure it is even a small group of folks that are unhappy; one particular person may be closer to the truth. I was there with the GT tire group, also. Some fast drivers at the event.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:47 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

I may be feeling a little evil right now, but maybe some rubber needs to be laid down Friday night in a certain neighborhood.

Ok.....forget that thought. I would hate for any of us to get in trouble for disturbing the peace.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:15 PM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

Who are these idiots attacking NCM ?
Old 09-01-2015, 12:04 AM
Horseshow Manager
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mjolitor 68
A group of homeowners near the track. I personally think the best way this turns out is to just concentrate on getting the word out that the track will not be shut down thru the court system. If groups do not cancel scheduled events and drivers keep signing up for said events they will finally find a new cause to support.
Perhaps Global warming👍
Old 09-01-2015, 12:50 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

great to hear the gt track days event was a good time any pics ??? wish i coulda made it had other events this weekend
Old 09-01-2015, 08:27 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mjolitor 68
... Come on man, don't shoot your credibility.

All the NCM needs to do is live up to the promises they used to obtain their permits. It really is just that simple.

@ SS ... are you are saying that not living up to your commitments is OK? Is this how we are to raise our family ... no values, no accountability, no commitment?
Old 09-01-2015, 08:36 AM
switchblade six
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Horseshow Manager;1590391832]A group of homeowners near the track.

Wow I woulda thought anyone living that close to the NCM would cherish the sounds from a racetrack..whadoIknow
Old 09-01-2015, 09:12 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rbl

All the NCM needs to do is live up to the promises they used to obtain their permits. It really is just that simple.

@ SS ... are you are saying that not living up to your commitments is OK? Is this how we are to raise our family ... no values, no accountability, no commitment?
RBL, don't put words in my mouth. You have had a bone to pick with the museum since they started the track. Some how their tax status irks you greatly. You know I stated that the agreement needs to be honored and the NCM has stated such. You know that I stated that the work is actively in progress on the sound barrier. As far as credibility, look in the mirror. As far as values and accountability, I monitor my statements and actions for any tainting by possible personal agenda. Do you?
Old 09-01-2015, 09:19 AM
Horseshow Manager
Instructor

P
Originally Posted by rbl

I SAW all of the sound checking stations located along the pits, watched security chase down anyone who was moving at faster than idle speed and stop them on the spot.
I watched the construction crew building the berm (and even understand a sound complaint was made about the equiptment BUILDING the berm)!!
This is not about sound!! It's NIMBY (not in my back yard)!
This will NEVER be fixed to the satisfaction of the leader of the group until the track is shut down!
We came in on Thursday midday checked into our room we are staying at for 10 days, spending money eating out. Buying gas, sight seeing. The same as EVERYONE ELSE from out of town is doing. The economic impact is a great thing for the town.
So the track is building the berm and yet the group is e-mailing event owners and threatening to include them in a lawsuit!! No it's NOT about sound, it's NIMBY
Old 09-02-2015, 08:46 AM
Mitch Wright
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Good morning from NCM Motorsports Park, yes we are open and hosting events. We all look forward to having come and visit and thank you to all that have been supporting events here.
I will just throw this out there, if anyone has any questions about what is happening at NCM Motorsports Park please feel free to e-mail me mitch@motorsportspark.org

What most don't know and really hasn't been portrayed in the press is:
We did have a sound study done in 2013 headed up by Roc. Its findings were that the track would not create significant noise increase.
We at the park had taken a few complains (I had taken 4) starting in October 2014-May 2015. In October we started to monitor and record sound readings with our equipment.
May 18 2015 we got a call from Planning and Zoning, Wendell and I went to meet with the executive director that day. At that time we were made aware of a number of neighborhood complaints. At P&Z suggestion we organized a neighborhood meeting on June 9th. That meeting was moderated by the head of P&Z with 40 neighbors in attenance. We agreed to retain a sound engineering firm to conduct actual event sound monitoring data gathering to allow us to effectively address the neighborhood concerns.
June 9th we held a meeting with the appointed neighborhood committee, P&Z, our sound engineer and the local magistrate. At that meeting the sound engineer laid out the plan to gather data at 3 locations 24/7 one at the track plus 2 in the neighborhood for 2 months. In addition the sound engineers were here during a number of different types of track activity taking readings at various points on track to build a true to life model and to design effective meditation.
Bottom line is we are and have been addressing the concerns of the neighbors and we are taking action.

Last edited by Mitch Wright; 09-02-2015 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:56 AM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 94 Posts

I arranged for the hiring of the sound study engineers based on the recommendation of the then BG Plant Manager of the company that GM used and came up with the plan to overlay actual data from the Sebring HPDE to get a true picture of the MSP sound profile. I hold a Bachelor of science degree in Electrical Engineering and Applied Physics from Case Institute of Technology and was employed as a missile engineer by Bell Telephone Labs. Like all engineers I received an education in all phases of engineering but I am not a sound engineer. I was pressured to have the study done quickly without the Sebring overlay but good engineering practice dictates a thorough approach. The sound study contained recommendations and conclusions by the study engineers, not by me and when completed was turned over to the executive director. I did make several suggestions for additional noise abatement based on my familiarity with tracks and a general knowledge of sound transmission. The Executive Director had no firsthand knowledge of HPDE track events as he had repeatedly declined to attend. My suggestions were dismissed at a meeting of the track committee in the early part of 2013.

It is important to realize that the Detailed Development Plan (DDP) was negotiated and agreed on by the Planning & Zoning Board AND the museum at the very outset of the project as a condition for the zoning to allow the track. That document strictly binds all parties to specific requirement and in the case of the MSP it includes building the berm, limiting track vehicle traffic to no ore than 500 trips daily on Porter Pike, limiting spectator seating to 500 and not permitting major commercial races. I had no input into the decision to not build the berm as specified.

My background includes a short stint of amateur racing when I was in college in the mid 60s and as an instructor since 1999 with Audi, PCA, BMW, Alfa, NASA and many others. I created the NCM HPDE events and brought GM into the program. I made it clear at the outset that I was not a track designer, civil engineer nor was I interested in becoming track manager once the project was complete. I was a direct witness to the track project from first thoughts until fall of 2013. I was not informed of Mitch Wright's employment until October 2013 and he was not present at any track planning meetings prior to that and has no first hand knowledge of events prior to his arrival.

I have chosen to stay out of this whole thing because I am retired, separated from the track and the Museum and no longer in Bowling Green. My only point made in the past was that the berm was agreed on by the leadership of the Museum at the very outset when they signed the DDP, long before there was any sound study. My feeling is if you promise to do something then do it and move on.

Originally Posted by Mitch Wright
Good morning from NCM Motorsports Park, yes we are open and hosting events. We all look forward to having come and visit and thank you to all that have been supporting events here.
I will just throw this out there, if anyone has any questions about what is happening at NCM Motorsports Park please feel free to e-mail me mitch@motorsportspark.org

What most don't know and really hasn't been portrayed in the press is:
We did have a sound study done in 2013 headed up by Roc. Its findings were that the track would not create significant noise increase.
We at the park had taken a few complains (I had taken 4) starting in October 2014-May 2015. In October we started to monitor and record sound readings with our equipment.
May 18 2015 we got a call from Planning and Zoning, Wendell and I went to meet with the executive director that day. At that time we were made aware of a number of neighborhood complaints. At P&Z suggestion we organized a neighborhood meeting on June 9th. That meeting was moderated by the head of P&Z with 40 neighbors in attenance. We agreed to retain a sound engineering firm to conduct actual event sound monitoring data gathering to allow us to effectively address the neighborhood concerns.
June 9th we held a meeting with the appointed neighborhood committee, P&Z, our sound engineer and the local magistrate. At that meeting the sound engineer laid out the plan to gather data at 3 locations 24/7 one at the track plus 2 in the neighborhood for 2 months. In addition the sound engineers were here during a number of different types of track activity taking readings at various points on track to build a true to life model and to design effective meditation.
Bottom line is we are and have been addressing the concerns of the neighbors and we are taking action.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:19 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As usual a great update from Roc making it abundantly clear that the NCM is continuing along a course of deceit.

Why would any legitimate player want to carry the water for the NCM in view of these simple and fundamental facts much less come on this forum and misrepresent these facts under the banner of the NCM?

I am in absolute 100% agreement with Roc and thank him for having the courage, and decency, to point the facts out so clearly in this post as well as his original detailed report in the removed thread.

I can guess that this behavior by the NCM will be used as an example to prevent future tracks from being built in other locations hurting us all.

Last edited by rbl; 09-02-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:34 PM
Mitch Wright
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

RBL
I am sorry you feel that way, and not sure how or why you have formed your opinion.
Since we don't know each other please feel free to give me a call 270 777 4508 if you have any interest in information I can offer.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:39 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Horseshow Manager
P
I SAW all of the sound checking stations located along the pits, watched security chase down anyone who was moving at faster than idle speed and stop them on the spot.
I watched the construction crew building the berm (and even understand a sound complaint was made about the equiptment BUILDING the berm)!!
This is not about sound!! It's NIMBY (not in my back yard)!
This will NEVER be fixed to the satisfaction of the leader of the group until the track is shut down!
We came in on Thursday midday checked into our room we are staying at for 10 days, spending money eating out. Buying gas, sight seeing. The same as EVERYONE ELSE from out of town is doing. The economic impact is a great thing for the town.
So the track is building the berm and yet the group is e-mailing event owners and threatening to include them in a lawsuit!! No it's NOT about sound, it's NIMBY
Maybe several thousand high performance cars with loud exhausts ought to spend a weekend driving bumper to bumper through the neighborhood. Behaving themselves, just driving as it is their right to do and not doing any burn outs. Just idling all together will make it quite noisy.

Probably could get a few waxers to participate as well.

Bill
Old 09-02-2015, 01:52 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Oh no, Mr. Bill!! Seriously, from what I see, the NCM is trying to address the concerns of all involved. But, I have to wonder, should the NCM concentrate on the neighbors or a choice few on this forum that don't even live there? Mitch has even addressed those with concerns that live hundreds of miles away by offering his phone number. What more do you want?? The program is alive and well. The track is great and has super nice facilities with great support. I have been there twice in the last few days and will be there again tomorrow. I plan on budgeting for another set of R7's that I probably ordinarily wouldn't do but the NCM MSP is just too beckoning!
Old 09-02-2015, 03:03 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

i sure hope, for Roc's personal sake, that he has not violated any separation agreement from the NCM, by speaking negatively about his former employer.

Get notified of new replies

To NCM Demise Greatly Exaggerated!

Old 09-02-2015, 11:17 PM
Horseshow Manager
Instructor

Originally Posted by rocsvette
I arranged for the hiring of the sound study engineers based on the recommendation of the then BG Plant Manager of the company that GM used and came up with the plan to overlay actual data from the Sebring HPDE to get a true picture of the MSP sound profile. I hold a Bachelor of science degree in Electrical Engineering and Applied Physics from Case Institute of Technology and was employed as a missile engineer by Bell Telephone Labs. Like all engineers I received an education in all phases of engineering but I am not a sound engineer. I was pressured to have the study done quickly without the Sebring overlay but good engineering practice dictates a thorough approach. The sound study contained recommendations and conclusions by the study engineers, not by me and when completed was turned over to the executive director. I did make several suggestions for additional noise abatement based on my familiarity with tracks and a general knowledge of sound transmission. The Executive Director had no firsthand knowledge of HPDE track events as he had repeatedly declined to attend. My suggestions were dismissed at a meeting of the track committee in the early part of 2013.

It is important to realize that the Detailed Development Plan (DDP) was negotiated and agreed on by the Planning & Zoning Board AND the museum at the very outset of the project as a condition for the zoning to allow the track. That document strictly binds all parties to specific requirement and in the case of the MSP it includes building the berm, limiting track vehicle traffic to no ore than 500 trips daily on Porter Pike, limiting spectator seating to 500 and not permitting major commercial races. I had no input into the decision to not build the berm as specified.

My background includes a short stint of amateur racing when I was in college in the mid 60s and as an instructor since 1999 with Audi, PCA, BMW, Alfa, NASA and many others. I created the NCM HPDE events and brought GM into the program. I made it clear at the outset that I was not a track designer, civil engineer nor was I interested in becoming track manager once the project was complete. I was a direct witness to the track project from first thoughts until fall of 2013. I was not informed of Mitch Wright's employment until October 2013 and he was not present at any track planning meetings prior to that and has no first hand knowledge of events prior to his arrival.

I have chosen to stay out of this whole thing because I am retired, separated from the track and the Museum and no longer in Bowling Green. My only point made in the past was that the berm was agreed on by the leadership of the Museum at the very outset when they signed the DDP, long before there was any sound study. My feeling is if you promise to do something then do it and move on.
Well Mr Roc,
I have not had the opportunity to meet you in the mid west where we primarly run. Your resume is very impressive and the fact that you REALLY ARE a "rocket scientist" is something I admire, where as I, being a humble machinist only machined hinges and payload attachment points for 3 of the Space Shuttles which has as much bearing on this entire thread as your resume does!

Bottom line I hear from you is they (NCM) did NOT build the berm in some specific time frame! Well SHAME on them! They were called on it and are building it now. So perhaps since the "berm" sounds like your big sore point perhaps you can find a new cause to apply you vast engineering talents to,
LIKE GLOBAL WARMING👍
JMHO
Old 09-03-2015, 12:01 AM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 94 Posts

My first post a little while ago was in response to a great deal of misinformation flying around on this forum. Contrary to what many posted, the people in Clark Circle actually supported the MSP based on a promise stated in the DDP. My recent post was strictly fact based as well. It doesn't affect me one way or another if the berm is built and it's not my sore point. But that doesn't change the fact that the DDP was not followed in the designated time frame and that is a legal issue.

there was no separation agreement involved and everything I wrote was fact. Unlike many posts I see on Internet forums, I do not make personal attacks or smart *** comments to denigrate anyone. More than anyone on this forum I was there for all the discussions and observed all the decisions being made. I gave factual information, made no personal attacks and pointed out where my expertise lay and it's not in designing tracks nor is it in the field of global warming. I can't help it if someone is offended by hearing the facts but that's all I can or will give.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:37 AM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rocsvette
My first post a little while ago was in response to a great deal of misinformation flying around on this forum. Contrary to what many posted, the people in Clark Circle actually supported the MSP based on a promise stated in the DDP. My recent post was strictly fact based as well. It doesn't affect me one way or another if the berm is built and it's not my sore point. But that doesn't change the fact that the DDP was not followed in the designated time frame and that is a legal issue.

there was no separation agreement involved and everything I wrote was fact. Unlike many posts I see on Internet forums, I do not make personal attacks or smart *** comments to denigrate anyone. More than anyone on this forum I was there for all the discussions and observed all the decisions being made. I gave factual information, made no personal attacks and pointed out where my expertise lay and it's not in designing tracks nor is it in the field of global warming. I can't help it if someone is offended by hearing the facts but that's all I can or will give.
Roc, never had a problem with facts. Many times, however, facts can be portrayed

in such a way that a reader may, or may not view their intent.

Let me ask you one simple question. Do view yourself as a positive supporter of the museum and its leadership, yes or no?

I am just curious, since I saw you there today.

Last edited by RACE U; 09-04-2015 at 01:40 AM.

Quick Reply: NCM Demise Greatly Exaggerated!