Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear break pad issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 06:41 PM
Kevin_k
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Rear break pad issues

I have a 02 ZO6 that is completely stock that I take to HPDE events. I am running carbotech xp10 on the front and XP8 on the back. After six events the rear pads are down to nothing. The fronts have some life left but not much. No way could I use the pads on the front for another day. This seams completely backwards to me. It’s my understanding that usually it’s the front pads that will get used up first not the back. I turn off the active handling when at the track so I do not think that is the issue. So my question is why would I be using up the back pads before the fronts? The rotor wear on the back is also not that good and I am going to have to replace the rear rotors again after only six track days. The fronts however are fine.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:56 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

Trail breaking?
Old 09-09-2015, 09:57 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Are you running in Competitive Mode or full off? I don't have a C5Z but my understanding is that competitive mode turns off traction control but not the active handling. It sounds as if this could be burning up the rears assuming nothing else like a bad fluid bleed, or cooked front fluid resulting in a rear bias.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:04 PM
Kevin_k
Advanced

Originally Posted by c5racr1
Trail breaking?
Some trail breaking. Its something I have been working on

Last edited by Kevin_k; 09-09-2015 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:15 PM
Kevin_k
Advanced

Originally Posted by fleming23
Are you running in Competitive Mode or full off? I don't have a C5Z but my understanding is that competitive mode turns off traction control but not the active handling. It sounds as if this could be burning up the rears assuming nothing else like a bad fluid bleed, or cooked front fluid resulting in a rear bias.
I turn it completely off and I do bleed the breaks some before each event. I did just pick up some high temp dot4 fluid that I guess I will try. The stuff was very expensive compared to the normal dot4 fluid.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:01 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Valvoline Syntec for the brake fluid! has a high enough boiling point that is you boil it in a 20 min session you need more air flowing over your brakes.
Used to be about $12 a quart.

If you boil it with air over your brakes then go to the expensive stuff
Old 09-10-2015, 11:46 AM
ponycar
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have run that combination, and got approx. 2 weekends on them. The rear pads are small and the rear tires/ wheels are large relatively heavy, have a lot of traction and even though the Vette is front biased the rears will wear fast. Also the 10/8 combo is considered by many to be insufficient for the weight and speed of the Corvettes. I think that you have gotten very reasonable wear from the pads.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:27 AM
Kevin_k
Advanced

Originally Posted by ponycar
I have run that combination, and got approx. 2 weekends on them. The rear pads are small and the rear tires/ wheels are large relatively heavy, have a lot of traction and even though the Vette is front biased the rears will wear fast. Also the 10/8 combo is considered by many to be insufficient for the weight and speed of the Corvettes. I think that you have gotten very reasonable wear from the pads.
Ok thanks. its not so much that I only got six track days out of the pads that was concerning me. Its that the back are getting used up faster than the front which is completely opposite from what I have been told should be the case. Anyway thanks again for your input I am glad to hear you do not believe I need to be concerned. The new pads I have to install are Raybestos ST43. I guess we will see how those work out for me.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:28 AM
Kevin_k
Advanced

Originally Posted by jaa1992
Valvoline Syntec for the brake fluid! has a high enough boiling point that is you boil it in a 20 min session you need more air flowing over your brakes.
Used to be about $12 a quart.

If you boil it with air over your brakes then go to the expensive stuff
Ok thanks I will give the Valvoline Syntec a try.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:23 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

I have not run the XP10/XP8 combo, but ask if the XP8 compound is softer. I think it is. If that is the case it would make sense for the softer compound to wear faster.

I get there is more front bias so the fronts would wear faster, but with A/H completely off (no competition mode), there is no other explanation unless both rear calipers are sticking. Trail braking is still using the same brake bias.

Using the same set of pads for 6 track days is getting a lot of life out of them (2x normal).
Old 09-12-2015, 01:34 PM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Not a direct comparison

Because I run a C 4, similar weight to you but less HP. But I also run XP 10 / 8.

Anyway, my experience matches your expectations: I get about 6 HPDE days out of the fronts and about 12 with the rears. My rear rotor wear is less than half of that experienced in the front.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear break pad issues

Quick Reply: Rear break pad issues