Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proper tie down straps for trailering your car

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 10:03 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Proper tie down straps for trailering your car

I get requests for this a lot so I figured that I would post it publicly again.

If you need straps for trailering your Vette to the track, call David at Howard Hill Enterprises in Macon, Ga at 478-743-8406. I've sent many forum members to him over the years and just ordered another set today.
Just mention the corvette forum and he'll know exactly what you need. He is the manufacturer so there's no middle man to deal with. He has special pricing set up for us too.

These are 10,000lb straps that are 2" wide and 8' long with a flat snap hook on the strap and a twisty snap hook on the ratchet end. You can have David put the T-hook on the strap, but I would just buy them separately (Northern Tool etc.).
I had him make my straps to be 12 feet to start with, but they were a little too long so I had him cut them down to 8 feet which is perfect.
This setup takes removes all the guess work on how to properly strap down your ride.

Howard Hill Enterprises, Inc.
5338 Jeffersonville Rd,
Dry Branch, GA.
(478) 743-8406
Ask for David

Here are a few pictures:

Last edited by sperkins; 09-15-2015 at 10:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Rookieracer (09-16-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 10:15 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Same here. I have seen too many folks in the paddock that would benefit greatly with a setup like this. So many times I have seen some very flimsy methods of using wheel 'nets' or straps in the wheel.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:40 AM
edge04
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

what or where are you using the T hook?
Old 09-15-2015, 12:10 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by edge04
what or where are you using the T hook?

Slots in frame rail where jacking pucks would go.

The following users liked this post:
TRAKOUT (09-17-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 01:05 PM
edge04
Burning Brakes

^^ makes sense and explains the need for the long straps

I just wrap a tie down like this around the A arms

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g7965/overview/
Old 09-15-2015, 04:48 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

^^ makes sense and explains the need for the long straps

I just wrap a tie down like this around the A arms

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g7965/overview/
I see folks doing that and it makes me cringe.
The A-arm could snap in an accident. They were never intended to be used for strapping during transport. Maybe I worry too much...
Old 09-15-2015, 06:33 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,071 Likes on 643 Posts

I thought everyone tied their Corvette down using the T hooks.

Thanks for sharing the strap info. I like those clip on hooks for the D rings and the T hooks. They look pretty robust. No more fumbling with an open end hook.

My T hooks have another ring in them making the pretty easy to manipulate when attaching them under the car into the slots and hooking the straps at the same time. With these straps that will be even easier.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:59 PM
edge04
Burning Brakes

I'm not sure I can get to them once the car is in my trailer. Will have to take a look next time.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:15 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,071 Likes on 643 Posts

I'm not sure I can get to them once the car is in my trailer. Will have to take a look next time.
My Wife does it!! That makes it a lot easier!

Mine is an enclosed 22 ft trailer and it's not as bad as you would think. With these straps with T hooks already attached onto the snap hooks it's probably simple as can be.

I happened to need some new straps so the timing couldn't be better.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:16 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

You will learn how to lay them out on the floor before winching the vehicle into the trailer. After the vehicle is in position it is simply a matter of reaching under the rocker panel and installing the Jhook. As fast a process as when I had my open trailer.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:23 PM
edge04
Burning Brakes

that's what I was thinking. they are laid out and then drive in. I'm just picturing the wheel wells being in the way. if it does work it will be so much easier than reaching under to get that strap around the a arms. this will also save me money as I won't have to buy the trailer ramps

do you guys criss cross them or just go straight to the floor hook?

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
You will learn how to lay them out on the floor before winching the vehicle into the trailer. After the vehicle is in position it is simply a matter of reaching under the rocker panel and installing the Jhook. As fast a process as when I had my open trailer.

Last edited by edge04; 09-15-2015 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:46 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

do you guys criss cross them or just go straight to the floor hook?
Criss Cross. Complete routine: back truck up onto rhino ramps to raise rear and tilt trailer to the rear, lay out straps, winch car into trailer, hook the front ones first - then the rear, unfasten winch hook.

When unloading, I place car into gear since I don't have parking brake installed, THEN unfasten straps.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:59 PM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Criss Cross. Complete routine: back truck up onto rhino ramps to raise rear and tilt trailer to the rear, lay out straps, winch car into trailer, hook the front ones first - then the rear, unfasten winch hook.

When unloading, I place car into gear since I don't have parking brake installed, THEN unfasten straps.
My process exactly.

The only difference is the 8' straps were too short for me but I think that's a function of the my trailer tie down locations.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:11 PM
edge04
Burning Brakes

I'm able to drive right into the trailer with no issues. Aside from that I also criss cross and put in gear and then check to make sure still in gear prior to unloading.

I already have 8 foot long straps with those ends, now just need the T hooks
Old 09-17-2015, 12:01 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Better yet, place the rear (and front) T-hooks and straps in place with the car on the ground. Cross them, run them out under the back (or front) of the car, pull them slightly taught and use blue racer's tape to tape them to the rear tag or front bumper cover. You don't have to lay on a hot trailer, maneuver around trailer fenders or reach blindly under the car. Get it onto the trailer, pull the open end of the straps off, feed them into the ratchets, pull out the slack and boom...done.
I winch on, strap the back, snug the winch and put one diagonal strap on the front tow hook.
S.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:07 AM
edge04
Burning Brakes

that is going to require a visual lol. Seems like a long process just to strap a car down but I'm sure you have it down to a science.

Surprised so many of you winch the car up vs drive. That mainly due to clearance concerns or just easier when loading alone.

Originally Posted by Snorman
Better yet, place the rear (and front) T-hooks and straps in place with the car on the ground. Cross them, run them out under the back (or front) of the car, pull them slightly taught and use blue racer's tape to tape them to the rear tag or front bumper cover. You don't have to lay on a hot trailer, maneuver around trailer fenders or reach blindly under the car. Get it onto the trailer, pull the open end of the straps off, feed them into the ratchets, pull out the slack and boom...done.
I winch on, strap the back, snug the winch and put one diagonal strap on the front tow hook.
S.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:23 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

......That mainly due to clearance concerns or just easier when loading alone.
Good question; I used to drive it in/on until I switched to a quartermaster clutch. It is now a different animal.

Get notified of new replies

To Proper tie down straps for trailering your car

Old 09-17-2015, 09:53 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
S.
I am going to have to try that next time.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:12 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

that is going to require a visual lol. Seems like a long process just to strap a car down but I'm sure you have it down to a science.

Surprised so many of you winch the car up vs drive. That mainly due to clearance concerns or just easier when loading alone.
Not sure how it's any longer than strapping it down while it's already on the trailer. The difference is the straps are already on the car when it goes onto the trailer rather than crawling around the car after it's loaded. It makes it much easier.

Winching the car up allows you to precisely place it on the trailer. In my enclosed, I also don't have to crawl in and out of the car through the window (very few trailers have a low enough curbside door opening to allow the car door to open in the trailer, especially a Corvette).
S.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:48 AM
bigmackloud
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

As part of my process, I set the parking brake to hold the vehicle while I set up my straps. Once I get some tension on the straps I release the parking brake and take it out of gear, and then tighten down the straps. That way the tension is completely on the frame, not pulling against the parking brake or transmission. Then I set the brake and put it in gear as a final back up in case a strap fails.

Quick Reply: Proper tie down straps for trailering your car