Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any 120v inverter experience?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 04:14 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Any 120v inverter experience?

I am trying to figure out the best way to operate a 400w 120v oil heater for my race car while it is being transported in my enclosed trailer. I currently have large power cables that running from the battery in my tow vehicle to my trailer that I use to operate my winch. I am considering getting a 120v power inverter to get the power I need. Any thoughts on this approach.... Or other ideas?

Thanks for the help.
Charley
Old 09-19-2015, 09:43 PM
Tnacdrmr
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Should be less then 5amps and I'm sure your winch (wiring) is rated higher then that so I don't see a prob. Another option is to just get a Honda 1k generator but option 1 will be much cheaper.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:05 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I had a 1000 watt inverter in my Sportsmobile van/camper that worked great off 2 house batteries, which charged from my van alternator.

You just need the big alt to put the juice into all the batteries.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:08 PM
speedwaywhite
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
I am trying to figure out the best way to operate a 400w 120v oil heater for my race car while it is being transported in my enclosed trailer. I currently have large power cables that running from the battery in my tow vehicle to my trailer that I use to operate my winch. I am considering getting a 120v power inverter to get the power I need. Any thoughts on this approach.... Or other ideas?

Thanks for the help.
Charley
If memory servers correctly inverters are 10 to 1 converting DC to AC, so you will need 10 amps of DC to get 1 amp of AC. If my math is correct you would need 4+ amps at 120v AC to run the heater which converts to 40+ amp draw on your tow vehicle. That 40 amp load in addition to the other electrical loads on your tow vehicle would be an alternator eater.
My opinion would be that a generator would be more practical and have the added benefit of giving you a power source in the paddock for other needs.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:04 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by speedwaywhite
If memory servers correctly inverters are 10 to 1 converting DC to AC, so you will need 10 amps of DC to get 1 amp of AC. If my math is correct you would need 4+ amps at 120v AC to run the heater which converts to 40+ amp draw on your tow vehicle. That 40 amp load in addition to the other electrical loads on your tow vehicle would be an alternator eater.
My opinion would be that a generator would be more practical and have the added benefit of giving you a power source in the paddock for other needs.
33.33 amps actually plus inefficiency.

Buy some 12v silicone heat pads and glue them to the pan w/high temp silicone on areas that require heat. Tap directly to those big cables but with a smart switch that knows if the engine is running. Do it with charge voltage sensing and a relay.

I used them in Alaska for 30 years and they warmed the airplane oil at -30° F just fine. (2) 100W small ones will do the job easily and they will draw ~ 8.3 amps each, cost ~ $10 each.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:03 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rbl
33.33 amps actually plus inefficiency.

Buy some 12v silicone heat pads and glue them to the pan w/high temp silicone on areas that require heat. Tap directly to those big cables but with a smart switch that knows if the engine is running. Do it with charge voltage sensing and a relay.

I used them in Alaska for 30 years and they warmed the airplane oil at -30° F just fine. (2) 100W small ones will do the job easily and they will draw ~ 8.3 amps each, cost ~ $10 each.
Thanks! I will give that a try.

Charley

Get notified of new replies

To Any 120v inverter experience?

Quick Reply: Any 120v inverter experience?