Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New B-Street FRC owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 09:16 AM
Rated-M3
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New B-Street FRC owner

Update 4/26/16:
Season is off to a good start. Expectations and goals are being met. I learned what truely new tires felt like at my first two events. Coming from my E36 where I started autocrossing on what were track tires and continued to autocross on second hand tires, I've never scrubbed in a set of tires myself. It was discouraging as my times were mid-pack, I couldn't predict what the car was going to do, and it just didn't feel all that great overall. Really didn't know what was going on, I thought my year hiatus was really showing. Fast forward to this past weekend, the tires felt completely different. They finally feel like the tires everyone says they are and I'm finally able to drive with some controllable rear slip. Finished 4th in PAX both days, won B Street the first, 2nd on the other. There were some caveats to my finishing positions but I will savor it while I can.

I haven't made any changes to the car other than the tires. Ordered a bar from Sam and can't wait to see how it affects the handling. Now that the car is drivable (tires scrubbed in), I am going to work on my throttle control.

Videos are in reverse chronological order. I have 3 GoPros and have been playing with different angles for fun. Enjoy and thanks for following my progress.

--------------------
Hi everyone. I just wanted to share my YouTube channel for anyone interested in autocross C5 Corvettes. I bought a '99 FRC to compete in SCCA Solo B-Street next year. I also plan to try and attend a couple of national events and Pro Solos, all depending on location (with respect to the D.C. metro area).

I got 3 events in with the car before the end of the season. This was my first time out all year, proceeding 2 consecutive full years in my E36 M3 that wasn't really built to compete in any specific class. I'm still learning the car and its tendencies, keep that in mind if providing constructive feedback.

As of right now, the car is lowered using stock adjustments and has Bilstein sports shocks. The tires that came with the car are RS3s, 245/40/17, 265/35/18. Alignment specs are unknown but was done by PO when they lowered the car.

My very first event was bad; first time out in a year and with a new car. My next 2 event felt a lot better and the times looked better but, they were both in the wet.

I usually only share my best runs but when I'm learning, I also make a compilation of the whole day. I am unsure of how often I will post here so please subscribe if you'd like to follow my progress or if you just like watching Corvettes.

Best run last event:

Compilation of last event:

Prior event:
Compilation:

And, the embarrassing first event. Forgot to mention I forgot to turn off traction control and noticed coming out of the first loop.... And, this was my best run of the day...

Last edited by Rated-M3; 04-26-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:48 AM
jesup16
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

With that camera angle, it's tough to see where you are "placing" the car. Your hand position and head movement indicate you have the skill set.

Also, any event in the rain is likely more of a "minimizing losses" type drive rather than pushing the car and your abilities to the limit. So it's tough for me to critique. Nice control, though.

The good news is you've come to the right place for feedback.

Also, I once had an e36 M3. They are a lot of fun to autocross, it's a shame they don't really fit into any SCCA class as a competitive car.

Last year I autocrossed a Subaru STI in STU Class. This year I made the switch to a 99 FRC in STU class. It took me quite a while to shake the "awd" habits.

My main struggle with the Vette this year was "maintaining" speed. It took several events for me to find the right entry speeds for this car.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:59 AM
Rated-M3
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by jesup16
With that camera angle, it's tough to see where you are "placing" the car. Your hand position and head movement indicate you have the skill set.

Also, any event in the rain is likely more of a "minimizing losses" type drive rather than pushing the car and your abilities to the limit. So it's tough for me to critique. Nice control, though.
Thanks. Where do you place your camera if you use one? I like this angle because I can see my inputs. I am picking up a second GoPro later today and plan to run it on the right side of the car.

I love the rain, I use to be scared of it. In my afternoon runs in the compilation video of the last event, I was pushing the car too hard through almost every turn understeering and losing time. It didn't come to me that I should have slowed it down until I worked the course afterwards... I love the way you put that though, "minimizing losses." I will try and remember to help me stop pushing the front end around.

Originally Posted by jesup16
My main struggle with the Vette this year was "maintaining" speed. It took several events for me to find the right entry speeds for this car.

I have my eye on STU as well but I have some bills to pay off first. I took a year off because I bought a house and had another kid. How did you do overall this year with the Corvette?

Last edited by Rated-M3; 11-11-2015 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:34 AM
jesup16
Racer

Originally Posted by Rated-M3
Thanks. Where do you place your camera if you use one? I like this angle because I can see my inputs. I am picking up a second GoPro later today and plan to run it on the right side of the car.

I have my eye on STU as well but I have some bills to pay off first. I took a year off because I bought a house and had another kid. How did you do overall this year with the Corvette?

I've seen a lot of guys put it behind them in the car. You can see the layout and the inputs/technique. There's some videos and good STU information in this thread: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-2015-a-9.html

I prefer the camera under the rear view mirror. I was struggling with positioning the car, too. I hit a lot of cones this year on the passenger side. So this helped me.

I'd say I got close to my goal this year. I was just about 1 second off Nick Barbato in my region event before nationals. Nick got 2nd place in Glenn's 350Z at nationals this year in STU. To be fair, Nick probably wasn't pushing as hard as me with me a full second behind him.

I'm not a national competitor, although my goal is to make it there next year, but more just for the experience.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:07 PM
firebirdfan
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 13 Posts

I love the rain, I use to be scared of it. In my afternoon runs in the compilation video of the last event, I was pushing the car too hard through almost every turn understeering and losing time. It didn't come to me that I should have slowed it down until I worked the course afterwards... I love the way you put that though, "minimizing losses." I will try and remember to help me stop pushing the front end around.

I like putting mine on top of the car, right above the windshield (actually on the paint). That way, it looks down across the entire front of the car. It looks stupid when it's on the car, as it looks like it's pointed VERY down. The go pro has such a huge viewing angle, that if you don't angle it down, all you see is blue sky on 2/3rds of the height of the video. I also have a 2nd one on the back window looking forward.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:11 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

DC is a pretty good place to run a Corvette out of. It's my region to start with and I have a hand in most of quickest ones in any class for Solo. There are other fast BS versions around like Mike Moran's car (one I setup) as well as SSR cars in the region to compare to.

If you need some help, setup or driving wise... I can be of assistance. Those are my two actual jobs, car setup/parts sales and driving instructor.
814-849-3450

More options than any other single company out there. More parts than any other single company I know: Brakes to Safety, Wheels to Exhaust. Suspension to Air Filters: Girodisc, Hawk, Raybestos, Essex Racing/AP, Ferodo, Wilwood, Penske, Koni, Borg Motorsport, Ridetech, Viking, After Dark Speed, Hotchkis, Bilstein, KW, Forgestar, BC Forged, Forgeline, MRR Wheels and on, and on, and on it goes.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:50 PM
Rated-M3
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
DC is a pretty good place to run a Corvette out of. It's my region to start with and I have a hand in most of quickest ones in any class for Solo. There are other fast BS versions around like Mike Moran's car (one I setup) as well as SSR cars in the region to compare to.

If you need some help, setup or driving wise... I can be of assistance. Those are my two actual jobs, car setup/parts sales and driving instructor.
Thanks Sam. I actually messaged you on Facebook about the Corvette's classing before I bought it. I'll come by to introduce myself next time I see you at an event.

I guess I'd like to ask about the rear tire size. I see the PO's theory in running the 265/35 (for gearing) in the rear but is the difference from a 275/35 or even a 285/35 worth it? I do feel like the power comes on quick on exit and I could probably benefit from the taller tire but I don't have any experience to compare to. Could just be that I need to get use to driving a more powerful car X)
Old 11-11-2015, 07:55 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

I remember, glad they are safe in BS for a while.

Who was the PO? Just curious. Gearing ... the difference is tiny in the gearing with a shorter tire and the car has torque anyway. And if it's that slow you are miles from peak torque in 2nd you could run 1st (not that I recommend that a lot). but I'd be running the largest tire I could actually make use of. The thing is in 18" you pretty much have 275 or 315 (too much) from BFG, and 275 from Bridgestone so it kind of makes your choice pretty easy for the rear. Front, that depends on if you stick with 17" or go to an 18".
Old 11-11-2015, 09:22 PM
Rated-M3
Heel & Toe

I remember, glad they are safe in BS for a while.

Who was the PO? Just curious. Gearing ... the difference is tiny in the gearing with a shorter tire and the car has torque anyway. And if it's that slow you are miles from peak torque in 2nd you could run 1st (not that I recommend that a lot). but I'd be running the largest tire I could actually make use of. The thing is in 18" you pretty much have 275 or 315 (too much) from BFG, and 275 from Bridgestone so it kind of makes your choice pretty easy for the rear. Front, that depends on if you stick with 17" or go to an 18".
Got it. I'm still wondering if there are going to be any new tires next year, i can't find any news, maybe I'm not searching correctly. And, the PO was Dave Howdyshell's father. Thanks.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:59 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

My bet is you'll see a revision or two for next year, maybe even some all new tires. I'd not buy anything now.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:34 PM
jesup16
Racer

^ This. Rumor has it, we'll get an 285/35/18 RE71R from Bridgestone. The 2wd STU crowd will be rejoicing!! I'm not holding my breathe.

I'd listen to Sam and wait until next season. Maybe there will be something to compete or be better than the RE71R. I've got about 20 runs left in my RE71R's, so I'm gonna hang on to them until next season and wait til spring brings a new line up of tires

FWIW, I think all the 2wd STU crowd ran 275/35/18 RE71R's, even though we can use up to a 285 in class. Shows that the RE71R was the tire to have, even if it was down 1 width size.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:52 PM
Rated-M3
Heel & Toe

So, it looks like we got 285/30/18. Will there be any issues being about 2" shorter than stock?
Old 03-05-2016, 07:08 PM
TRAKOUT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks like fun! The first time I tried the cones I had all the workers running for cover, enjoy your FRC

Last edited by TRAKOUT; 03-05-2016 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:03 PM
dhowdy
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Just saw this thread.

I don't remember why the rear tires were 265s. My best guess is that they happened to be in stock at the time and maybe the 275s weren't... there wasn't a special reason for it, and I wasn't super concerned with it since my dad just needed decent tires to learn on. He didn't have enough events under his belt to justify the RE71Rs.

For shocks, they're actually sports on the front and HD in the rear. Ordered from Sam.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:08 AM
Rated-M3
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by dhowdy
Just saw this thread.

I don't remember why the rear tires were 265s. My best guess is that they happened to be in stock at the time and maybe the 275s weren't... there wasn't a special reason for it, and I wasn't super concerned with it since my dad just needed decent tires to learn on. He didn't have enough events under his belt to justify the RE71Rs.

For shocks, they're actually sports on the front and HD in the rear. Ordered from Sam.
Cool to see you on here. Thanks for the extra details. Let me know if you are ever back in the area, it'd be a pleasure to meet you. On a side note, I'm getting ready to do the oil pump. I observed the intermittent issue and confirmed it with a mechanical gauge.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:27 AM
dhowdy
Racer

Cool to see you on here. Thanks for the extra details. Let me know if you are ever back in the area, it'd be a pleasure to meet you. On a side note, I'm getting ready to do the oil pump. I observed the intermittent issue and confirmed it with a mechanical gauge.
Plan is to be out for the DC pro... I need to get the ball rolling on that, but I should be there.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:49 AM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Just a fair warning. DC Pro is not a great one to hit on the east. The lot is much better for a Tour (which I'm doing the course for btw). I didn't even bundle that Pro in my stuff cause it's so far from ideal for that use. But it's still a Pro and still fun. But it's bumpy and they won't be big courses by any measure. And it's on a big slope, and sealed asphalt.

Get notified of new replies

To New B-Street FRC owner

Old 03-07-2016, 08:40 AM
Borg Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

So, it looks like we got 285/30/18. Will there be any issues being about 2" shorter than stock?
It appears that if the front tires are larger diameter than the rears, ice mode under braking will trigger more easily. The only time I have even gotten ice mode in my car is with larger diameter front tires. They were DOT R-Comps, not street tires though. Otherwise these cars need all the gearing they can get.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:39 PM
dhowdy
Racer

Just a fair warning. DC Pro is not a great one to hit on the east. The lot is much better for a Tour (which I'm doing the course for btw). I didn't even bundle that Pro in my stuff cause it's so far from ideal for that use. But it's still a Pro and still fun. But it's bumpy and they won't be big courses by any measure. And it's on a big slope, and sealed asphalt.
Understood. I did run at FedEx once last year. But my parents live in Southern Maryland, so I was going to make a week vacation of it and decided I might as well do the pro while I was home. Car will be AS anyways, which will probably be my only AS pro all year so it's totally for fun... I did my first real autocross of the year yesterday (and it's AZ so I've had like 6 opportunities) and was super rusty...
Old 04-26-2016, 11:09 AM
Rated-M3
Heel & Toe

Updated post #1 with my progress so far this season.

Quick Reply: New B-Street FRC owner