Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tracspec hood vent questions, GT1 vs GT2 models

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 11:00 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Default Tracspec hood vent questions, GT1 vs GT2 models

I have picked up a replacement hood to cut for vents. Trackspec has two different models GT1 and GT2. I intend to only install the center louver and not the side vents. Reason being the side vents are over things like the battery, fuse box, windshield washer reservoir. I think these will cause more harm than good in the rain.

Is there anything other than size that steers the decision one way or another on the center louver choice? Installation? Effectiveness for cooling?
Old 11-22-2015, 11:26 AM
Tim Dorsch
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan H.
I have picked up a replacement hood to cut for vents. Trackspec has two different models GT1 and GT2. I intend to only install the center louver and not the side vents. Reason being the side vents are over things like the battery, fuse box, windshield washer reservoir. I think these will cause more harm than good in the rain.

Is there anything other than size that steers the decision one way or another on the center louver choice? Installation? Effectiveness for cooling?
I recently installed the tracspec hood vents.
I asked for a custom package...the large center vent and two smaller side vents. The instructions detail the placement which puts the center vent where it will best flow the hot air after passsing through the rad. I did see real results on the track and I'm very happy with their products. There is a thread on this forum that shows a slick little rain water diverter someone made to minimze the water intrusion on the side vents. Only changes I made were to use small stainless button head fasteners with nylocks to install the vents rather than the supplied pop rivets. Starting at the center and working out...the vents will contour to the hood. I then wrapped the hood with carbon printed vinyl instead of painting.

If you PM me your number I can send pics.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:39 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Here's my setup, and it's the standard package. What exactly are you worried about with the side vents? Getting water in the engine compartment? My last race was in a deluge and nothing seems any worse for wear. Don't think anything in there is gonna melt from the rain.

The following users liked this post:
BigMonkey73 (04-23-2018)
Old 11-22-2015, 10:38 PM
Jeredk21
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I used a custom package, the large center and large outside vents. Great products I love the effects of having them. Tell John I sent you he will take care if you. Thanks Jered.
Attached Images  
Old 11-23-2015, 12:34 AM
REKCUF
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Here's mine.
Attached Images  
Old 11-23-2015, 06:41 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
What exactly are you worried about with the side vents?
I'm concerned about water causing issues with the battery/fuse area and alternator. Where the vents are not over those, its over the coolant reservoir or windshield washer reservoir. Seems that there is little upside and large risk/downside.

My car is rarely driven on the street, but still street legal. Most of my use is at the track or getting to the track or pre event tech inspections.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:43 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Thanks you all for the photos and perspective. One of several winter projects planned. Looking forward to this one most since its a little more than un-bolt old part and replace with new part.

Last edited by Dan H.; 11-23-2015 at 06:43 AM.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:44 AM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm concerned about water causing issues with the battery/fuse area and alternator. Where the vents are not over those, its over the coolant reservoir or windshield washer reservoir. Seems that there is little upside and large risk/downside.

My car is rarely driven on the street, but still street legal. Most of my use is at the track or getting to the track or pre event tech inspections.
The vents are over the fenders. I also cut out the fenders with hole saws to let air escape from the fender wells. That's kind of the point of those vents, I do believe. Can't see water getting up to the fuse box. And again, when we got to grid for my last race it was pouring and sleeting. Some of the worst conditions I've ever driven in and pretty much no one (especially most Corvette drivers) would ever go out in conditions like those unless they had to. Again, I had no ill effects.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:00 AM
tmtraylor
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I did the same this year, Dan. The TracSpec folks advised that I shouldn't expect a big difference in temps and they were right. I still saw low 260F on the oil temp on track (90F outside). It may have dropped a couple of degrees... I don't have enough data to say one way or the other. I did add a piece of angle aluminum to regain some of the structure of the hood. It creaks and pops when you raise it and this helped a bit.

I did experience a electrical event after a rain. The DIC display started flickering. Not sure if it was related. Hasn't happened since and they were no other symptoms. I haven't pursued any investigation as to the cause. Good luck!

Old 11-23-2015, 09:24 PM
Jeredk21
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I also cut out my fenders so they can vent through the hood
Old 11-23-2015, 09:44 PM
Reggie Dunlop
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2777
Size:  1.35 MB

One more. Great product.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:57 AM
Ludeaem
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Dan, was browsing through and thought about a possible 'fix' to your worry about the alternator getting wet. Of course this is only the driver side but i'm sure you could seal up the fuse box a little better or perhaps wrap it in plastic bags if it were raining that hard.

Not sure who sells these but never the less

Old 02-18-2017, 09:53 AM
rkdc5z06
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I saw this car and got a better understanding how the side vent really will get effective.
I'm taking notes for my build.

Old 02-18-2017, 12:39 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Here is a universal waterfall style vent option for the center of the hood for those interested. I bought one to check out and mine came in a white gel coat finish.

http://garagestar.com/blog/product/g...eat-extractor/
Old 02-18-2017, 11:19 PM
Ludeaem
Racer

Dan, did you ever get around to this mod? I didn't think so but was curious.

As I mentioned before the alternator cover I would probably do but I also found a battery cover for around $30 that would work nicely IMO.

Lastly, I noticed that the center vent is placed differently in almost all of your photos above.I think in another thread someone did the pressure charts to find the best location.

To me, water intrusion right above the serpentine belt would cause the most issues. Not so much at speed of course.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:29 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Ludeaem
Dan, did you ever get around to this mod? I didn't think so but was curious.

As I mentioned before the alternator cover I would probably do but I also found a battery cover for around $30 that would work nicely IMO.

Lastly, I noticed that the center vent is placed differently in almost all of your photos above.I think in another thread someone did the pressure charts to find the best location.

To me, water intrusion right above the serpentine belt would cause the most issues. Not so much at speed of course.
Yes,
I installed only the center vent. I picked up a hood off a car being parted out. I had this on for all my events in 2016, 6 in total (which is nothing to some, but a lot for me!).

First, I am shocked some people did this while the hood is still on the car. I used a grinder and a cut off wheel and the mess is big. After a couple cuts in my garage i realized this is an outside job. The fiberglass dust gets everywhere.

I was fortunate to not have any sessions in the rain last year. That said, I had several tows in the rain. Or had to load up in the rain and the car sat outside. The vents are over the seep belt area and the front of the engine. The location is based on what track spec recommended. They include poster board stencils to guide your cutting and instruct you on how to measure for the placement and a square installation. This area was definitely wet under the hood and I had zero issues because of it. Not even a squeaky seep belt.

I had hoped this would be a less expensive means to lower oil temps to a safer level. It was not, I was still able to achieve oil temps where I began short shifting or ending sessions early. I've since installed a DRM stand alone cooler and oil temps are no longer an issue.

I have been happy that I have not had water temp issues. Now I'm not sure if my skill isn't there yet or if this hood helped to keep them in check, maybe a combo of the two. I ran a couple events in 90+ degree days last year and never saw the needle get close to the red for water.

General observations is a ton of heat comes out of this thing. You see it when your idling on the grid. You also see it when you pull back into the pits after a session. A lot of heat is coming through those vents so I believe it has to help some. No data really to report, but I'm happy with the part and would recommend it to others.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Dan H.; 02-19-2017 at 07:31 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dan H.:
BABYBUGY (08-10-2020), C5Luv'R (10-29-2022), Ludeaem (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 05:31 PM
Ludeaem
Racer

Thanks for the update Dan. Car looks very nice! Surprised there wasn't much difference in the oil temps. Are you planning on adding the side vents soon? I honestly would be worried less about the sides opposed to the center vent based off the battery cover and alternator cover you can get.

Get notified of new replies

To Tracspec hood vent questions, GT1 vs GT2 models

Old 02-20-2017, 05:49 PM
fmcokc
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

The hood vent really won't help the oil temps but it does help the water temps. Because of that, the use of a radiator with a built in oil cooler will be more efficient. You should try the DeWitts radiator with EOC.
C5Luv'R (10-29-2022)
Old 02-20-2017, 05:54 PM
Ludeaem
Racer

Good point. I have a Ron Davis radiator with EOC but I think dan has the stand alone EOC. Highest oil temp i've seen its maybe 280.

I keep an eye on the C5 FS threads for local electron blue hoods but nothing so far. I need delrin bushings and some new hubs before I go that route anyways.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:28 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Ludeaem
Good point. I have a Ron Davis radiator with EOC but I think dan has the stand alone EOC. Highest oil temp i've seen its maybe 280.
Yes, I have a stock radiator and a stand alone EOC, the DRM race kit (larger core). My oil max is in the 260's or 270's now. It works really well.
C5Luv'R (10-29-2022)

Quick Reply: Tracspec hood vent questions, GT1 vs GT2 models