Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please tell me if i set my 6 point harness up correctly ( lots of pics )

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 02:47 PM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Default please tell me if i set my 6 point harness up correctly ( lots of pics )

C6Z06
Running BK harness bar with 6poit Schroth
Sparco Evo Large with sparco base and side moint
lap and sub belts attached to GFORCE eye bolts ( grade 8 )

want to make sure my shoulder belts angled properly and also would like to know if the CAMLOCK is located in the right place ( tell me if need to be adjusted higher/lower)

LAP BELT MOUNTIN LOCATION

SUB BELT MOUNTING LOCATION

SUB BELT MOUNTING LOCATION

Last edited by MUKAK; 12-08-2015 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:50 PM
heavyzee
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

On that first picture, does the side mount extend up into the seatbelt hole? if so you prob need to chop it off, so the seatbelt doesn't rub on it. Otherwise looks good

[QUOTE=MUKAK;1591069999]C6Z06
Running BK harness bar with 6poit Schroth
Sparco Evo Large with sparco base and side moint
lap and sub belts attached to GFORCE eye bolts ( grade 8 )

want to make sure my shoulder belts angled properly and also would like to know if the CAMLOCK is located in the right place ( tell me if need to be adjusted higher/lower)

The following users liked this post:
MUKAK (12-08-2015)
Old 12-08-2015, 04:59 PM
MUKAK
Race Director

i am using the side mount bolt hole for stock seat belts, when i go to the track i will i unplug stock seat belt and just let it hang
Old 12-08-2015, 05:02 PM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I think your shoulder belts need to wrap back through the adjuster plates one more time. Looks to me like they're just run through once and then fed back through the harness bar loops. If so, they'll simply slide apart in a wreck.
MUKAK (12-08-2015)
Old 12-08-2015, 05:05 PM
LateBreak
Pro

Here, you're missing Step 3. I see this all the time in pre-race Tech from teams of all experience levels, so don't feel bad

MUKAK (12-08-2015)
Old 12-08-2015, 05:07 PM
MUKAK
Race Director

Originally Posted by LateBreak
Here, you're missing Step 3. I see this all the time in pre-race Tech from teams of all experience levels, so don't feel bad

when the pic was taken the shoulder belts were not completety wrapped yet and yes they are wrapped per pic u attached thanks!
Old 12-08-2015, 05:11 PM
LateBreak
Pro

Originally Posted by MUKAK
when the pic was taken the shoulder belts were not completety wrapped yet and yes they are wrapped per pic u attached thanks!

Good to hear! Just wanted to make sure that wasn't missed. The rest of your installation looks fine to me
Old 12-08-2015, 05:13 PM
MUKAK
Race Director

what about CAM lock position? does it look like it need to be moved up/down?
Old 12-08-2015, 07:22 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by redtopz
Good to see someone asking these important questions. Props to you . It looks like you might need to tighten the sub belts and lower the cam position so the lap belts are more on your pelvic bones and the cam is about 3" below your belly button. But it's hard to tell from just a photo. Just make sure your lap belts are snug on your bones and not riding too high toward your stomach.

Also, those seat brackets are so so. The Hardbar style brackets are much stronger and probably safer.
Yep, the cam lock should be lower, it will be more comfortable especially after you've had that big cheeseburger for lunch.

As Bill said - Sub Belts.
Sub belt length is what locates the cam lock.

I've seen guys get a little sick to their stomach with the cam lock where you currently have it.

Last edited by Bill32; 12-08-2015 at 07:24 PM.
redtopz (12-08-2015)
Old 12-08-2015, 07:39 PM
fmcokc
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

I agree with the camlock position needing to be lower. The lapbelt needs to ride lower on the hips.

Also agree with Matt on finishing the wrap on the harness bar. I would consider locating the straps on the harness bar somehow so that they do not slide sideways.

Also I would like to see the harness bar a bit lower but not much you can do about that.

As far as the lapbelt mounting points, you might consider running a piece of flat-stock between them.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:55 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

I don't like the lap belt mounts.

You compromised the seat mount by drilling those holes, in turn your lap belts aren't really mounted to anything solid.

The sub belts need to be triple wrapped.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 12-08-2015 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:09 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Yeah, I'm really not a fan of those seat brackets. I had similar ones in my old C5 and they were pretty flimsy. They have much better brackets with holes on the sides that you can attach the eye bolts that would be much stronger and safer.

What fastfatboy said is true, you drilled holes in the part of the bracket that is supporting the seat and connecting it to the car, weakening that support.
I have the Planted mount, very sturdy.

I have the Hardbar lap belt mount, also well built.

He ruined that seat mount, I would throw it in the trash...I would never trust my life with it now.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:15 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Mine

Rear of seat is bolted directly to bracket.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:30 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

You should use the belt mount on the side of the seat mount for the harness lap belt. You have the belt mounted too far back and it isn't at the proper angle to your body and isn't entering the seat pass through properly. You do not want any folds in the lap belt as shown in your picture. Folds in the seat belt were one of the contributing factors in Dale Earnhardt's death. His lap belt tore in two right where there was a fold as it came through the side of the seat. A fold reduces the belt strength to the largest part of the belt that isn't folded. In your picture it looks like that is only 50% of the belt which means the belt strength is reduced by 50%. Installing your lap belts on the side mount so they can swivel will get rid of the belt fold. It also moves the end away from the seat since it looks like the belt bends around the seat back too much. You want that belt path straight from the mount to your pelvis.

The lap belt should fit across your pelvis not your abdomen. It looks like your lap belt is riding too high which is why the cam lock looks too high.

Send an email to the guys at HMS Motorsports in Mooresville, NC including your pictures and get their advice on proper fitment of the belts. They know what they are talking about in this area. They outfit all of the NASCAR Cup Teams with seats, harnesses and helmets. The new NASCAR seat has provisions for a 9 point harness which is all contained in the seat. HMS gets around $8K for each of the seats. If they tell you what you have is safe it is safe. I was just out to their place yesterday getting feedback on what I should do with my new Z. They are heading to PRI so may not be available to answer right away.

Bill
Old 12-09-2015, 01:47 AM
dizzy8085
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread is good. I'm planning on ordering seats, harness's, brackets, and ect here in the next few months.

The many threads on the buttonwillow incident redtopz mentioned has me rethinking my seat choice. According to what I'm reading, even a hans device doesn't protect the neck against a direct side impact. I think I'm going to spend the extra couple of hundred dollars on a seat with a good head restraint. Looking at the cobra evolution seat because the cobra seats fit me well and I like the open head restraint that provides adequate vision. I only put a few thousand street miles a year on my car but I feel with that seat I would have plenty of vision.

Last edited by dizzy8085; 12-09-2015 at 01:47 AM.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:21 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LateBreak
Yea, we see this at the HPDE's.
My tech guys (SCCA) won't issue a tech sticker until it's corrected.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:22 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Yeah, I'm really not a fan of those seat brackets. I had similar ones in my old C5 and they were pretty flimsy. They have much better brackets with holes on the sides that you can attach the eye bolts that would be much stronger and safer.

What fastfatboy said is true, you drilled holes in the part of the bracket that is supporting the seat and connecting it to the car, weakening that support.

Get notified of new replies

To please tell me if i set my 6 point harness up correctly ( lots of pics )

Old 12-09-2015, 11:19 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't know how you would correct it.... But you harness bar looks like it is too high compared to your shoulders. It I remember correctly Scroth recommends the shoulder straps be mounted horizontal or slightly below your shoulders. When the straps are mounted higher than your shoulders you can move too far vertically in a roll over.

Charley
Old 12-09-2015, 11:22 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Sub'd to remind me to check my cam position. I race without the cushion and set it with, so I'm 100% sure it's wrong.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:35 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
I don't know how you would correct it.... But you harness bar looks like it is too high compared to your shoulders. It I remember correctly Scroth recommends the shoulder straps be mounted horizontal or slightly below your shoulders. When the straps are mounted higher than your shoulders you can move too far vertically in a roll over.

Charley

The Tech Spec (SCCA) is actually straight back to 20 degrees lower than your shoulders (bar height).

Quick Reply: please tell me if i set my 6 point harness up correctly ( lots of pics )