Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauage or not

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 01:13 PM
edge04
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Gauage or not

Curious if/who is running extra gauages and if so what. I'm asking those with race only cars. Currently having a cage, fire, etc installed, will also have a net between driver and passenger so will installing extra gauages in the center conusel be a waste as viewing them is difficult? If i do install them guessing oil temp and trans temp?
Old 12-27-2015, 03:17 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I strongly suggest you mount them where you can glance at them while driving without taking your eyes too far off the road. In the console would be too far in my opinion. I have oil pressure, oil temp, water temp and voltage. Mine are mounted vertically right behind the steering wheel and I would not want them any lower. Tach is mounted on the steering column.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:29 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Ed has given good advice above.

In my racecar, I have the stock cluster with the DIC set on oil pressure. I watch rpms only if I am not under pressure, otherwise I shift as soon as the rev limiter bumps. My water and oil temps are under control via extra cooling, so I no longer worry about them.

For ME: The less I know, the faster I go!
Old 12-27-2015, 06:59 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by brkntrxn

For ME: The less I know, the faster I go!
Same here. I set DIC to oil pressure and glance at oil and water temp but those are under control. However I am going to be adding a gauge to log oil pressure for next season - either standalone gauge or thru AIM Dash. We're adding a dry sump as well and the engine builder wants to make sure oil pressure is on check at all times. Fine by me.

Get notified of new replies

To Gauage or not

Quick Reply: Gauage or not