Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

24 Hours At Daytona - 2016

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 03:35 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by RC000E
I remember hearing how the guarantee is 1/2 of 1% variation between engines...that's pretty stout.

I also noticed an engine failure in there buddy Core Autosport...
That engine will be returning to Katech for investigation.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 02-01-2016, 03:48 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

That allows cars with vastly different engines, weight, aerodynamics to essentially be made "competitive". Initially the rule structure attempted to simply make a displacement limit, but with turbo's, manufacturers not wanting to develop a specific powerplant to race, etc....the BOP comes into play.

Balance of Performance alters a lot of things...things like weight, fuel load, intake restrictors (to control hp), now they have some "boost" regulations stuff for the turbo'd cars, etc.

Some look at the BOP as a dial to make certain cars win or lose...and that CAN happen, but if the BOP is executed properly, then it really lies upon the drivers/teams AND the cars inherent ability to win. Beyond the BOP, things like weight distribution, how it puts down the power, etc, all allow a car to shine. One thing VERY advantageous about Corvette is that it's a "spaceframe" car, not a unibody. Therefore, the racecar can shed it's skin with some clips and be very accessible, unlike a lot of other cars which have body in the way.
...and BoP also includes time spent in the pits. If a team is x much quicker, that is taken into consideration when BoP is doled out. At 1st I found this more than a bit surprising but now see the rationale. If all cars are equaled via BoP and the only difference is the pit crew, races would be decided by pit stops, not what most want.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:21 PM
Corvette Forum Editor
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 145 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Front page news!

front page news indeed!
https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...lm-at-daytona/
Old 02-01-2016, 07:38 PM
Richard Ames
Drifting

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Have watched the end several times. So ready for the Corvette Corral at Sebring. Thanks Doug for letting them race.

Last edited by Richard Ames; 02-01-2016 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:39 PM
ChevyChad
Melting Slicks

Received 1,298 Likes on 528 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by ChevyChad:
jonny5cam (02-02-2016), MavsAK (02-02-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 07:42 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
That engine will be returning to Katech for investigation.
Wouldn't expect anything less
Old 02-01-2016, 08:21 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

I was fortunate to have Corvette Corral tickets to wander through the garages, be out on pit road for the pre-race activities, and watch the great race with a FANTASTIC outcome!!!

Anybody who wants to run a track event on the Rolex 24 roadcourse, there are several events during the year - about 4 in Oct-Dec, and one coming up April 14-15. Check out the thread below for info about the April HPDE:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...l-14-15-a.html

Last edited by BEZ06; 02-01-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:42 AM
jonny5cam
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The euros can and will whine about having their tails handed to them again. But you see, the big 3 races are more about endurance. And that's where the Chevy's shine. In the real world (other than scheduled maintenance) you don't have to pop the hood on the Vette' for 100,000 miles. Try that with a Ferarri.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:19 AM
Internetguru
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 130 Likes on 100 Posts

La semplicità è l’ultima sofisticazione!

Well done... Corvette Racing Rules the New Year.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:54 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

That allows cars with vastly different engines, weight, aerodynamics to essentially be made "competitive". Initially the rule structure attempted to simply make a displacement limit, but with turbo's, manufacturers not wanting to develop a specific powerplant to race, etc....the BOP comes into play.

Balance of Performance alters a lot of things...things like weight, fuel load, intake restrictors (to control hp), now they have some "boost" regulations stuff for the turbo'd cars, etc.

Some look at the BOP as a dial to make certain cars win or lose...and that CAN happen, but if the BOP is executed properly, then it really lies upon the drivers/teams AND the cars inherent ability to win. Beyond the BOP, things like weight distribution, how it puts down the power, etc, all allow a car to shine. One thing VERY advantageous about Corvette is that it's a "spaceframe" car, not a unibody. Therefore, the racecar can shed it's skin with some clips and be very accessible, unlike a lot of other cars which have body in the way.
It has happened. More than once at that...
Old 02-02-2016, 02:16 PM
jmk
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Ames
Have watched the end several times. So ready for the Corvette Corral at Sebring. Thanks Doug for letting them race.
Absolutely positively right! And they did it without a scratch! That's fantastic driving in fantastic cars!
Old 02-02-2016, 03:10 PM
Bwright
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 159 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by jmk
Or this one... lol... ; )

Absolutely gorgeous. If they don't build a ZR1 soon I'm getting a Z06 that looks exactly like yours.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:16 PM
Bwright
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Absolutely detest BOP. The whole concept is offensive. If the Corvette has found a way to be fast under the current rules then the competition should get similarly innovative and find some speed.

If a student is doing well in a class is the solution to penalize his GPA or ask the other students to step up?

Sorry but BOP is just part of the everybody gets a trophy mentality that I find just hateful. Earn it of you want it. Damn.

There is more than one way to skin a cat. Look at GTD. The Huracans were faster. The R8, smarter.

Competition drives innovation. BOP is not competition. It is punishment.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:35 PM
georgehitch18
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BOP is a joke! Why not make them all run the exact same car and call it NASCAR.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:55 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bwright
Absolutely detest BOP. The whole concept is offensive. If the Corvette has found a way to be fast under the current rules then the competition should get similarly innovative and find some speed.

If a student is doing well in a class is the solution to penalize his GPA or ask the other students to step up?

Sorry but BOP is just part of the everybody gets a trophy mentality that I find just hateful. Earn it of you want it. Damn.

There is more than one way to skin a cat. Look at GTD. The Huracans were faster. The R8, smarter.

Competition drives innovation. BOP is not competition. It is punishment.
The BOP is absolutely necessary. If you create a competition of run what ya brung, you create LMP1. A monstrous venture of investment, energy, risk, etc. LMP1 just chewed up and spit out Nissan and a bunch of long term company guys with it.

In GT class racing, the idea is to bring in manufacturer participation, provide good marketing value and refine machines within a structure that controls cost. Return on investment can be very good in GT racing, when structured/run properly. Silhouette racing is beautiful, because it allows fans to relate to it, it absolutely sells cars. Furthermore, BOP regulates only the macro of performance, not the micro. The micro is where the advantage lies, AS long as the BOP is managed correctly.

With the FordGT, you see the attack of the micro. They designed the car to the limitations of the class structure. It's like doing an LMP1 for GT...you have to respect Ford for doing it. Of all the cars in class, the FordGT is most silhouette of all to its street counterpart...and that's pretty awesome.

Overall weight distribution, team capability, reliability, and hustling wins races...and Corvette is pretty successful because they have all those elements in place, despite BOP opposition at times. They do the micro VERY well.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:23 PM
2016 Z
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Awesome Yeeehaw - thank you for sharing.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:28 PM
Bwright
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

The BOP is absolutely necessary. If you create a competition of run what ya brung, you create LMP1. A monstrous venture of investment, energy, risk, etc. LMP1 just chewed up and spit out Nissan and a bunch of long term company guys with it.

In GT class racing, the idea is to bring in manufacturer participation, provide good marketing value and refine machines within a structure that controls cost. Return on investment can be very good in GT racing, when structured/run properly. Silhouette racing is beautiful, because it allows fans to relate to it, it absolutely sells cars. Furthermore, BOP regulates only the macro of performance, not the micro. The micro is where the advantage lies, AS long as the BOP is managed correctly.

With the FordGT, you see the attack of the micro. They designed the car to the limitations of the class structure. It's like doing an LMP1 for GT...you have to respect Ford for doing it. Of all the cars in class, the FordGT is most silhouette of all to its street counterpart...and that's pretty awesome.

Overall weight distribution, team capability, reliability, and hustling wins races...and Corvette is pretty successful because they have all those elements in place, despite BOP opposition at times. They do the micro VERY well.
A FWD Nissan LMP1 car was simply bizarre. No idea what was running through their minds. The result was a foregone conclusion.

Now what Nissan should do is run the GT-R in GTLM. That would make more sense and bring some much needed luster to the street car.

Having watched Corvette Racing since the outset I am well aware of how they shut down the old GT1 class of the now defunct ALMS. But in the current IMSA GTLM I see much less likelihood of that now. The factory backed Porsches have proven evil fast and were it not for teething issues those Fords would have definitely been a problem. Can you imagine if the Audi prototype teams under Dr. Ullrich decided to also run an R8 in GTLM? Or if the cerebral Ron Dennis decided to sic a McLaren 675LT on the competition in GTLM?

What's needed is more serious factory backed teams. Trust me when I tell you that when that Ford is sorted Corvette will have its hands full. No BOP needed there.

Get notified of new replies

To 24 Hours At Daytona - 2016

Old 02-02-2016, 05:05 PM
Bwright
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

BTW, since I didn't mention it earlier, though I stayed up to watch the entire race those last 15 minutes still had me on the edge of my seat. I kept screaming at the TV, "Doug! Tell 'em to knock it off before someone gets hurt! No need for this."

Just epic finish. Second or not, Garcia is the man and my new Corvette hero. Well done.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:08 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

BTW, since I didn't mention it earlier, though I stayed up to watch the entire race those last 15 minutes still had me on the edge of my seat. I kept screaming at the TV, "Doug! Tell 'em to knock it off before someone gets hurt! No need for this."

Just epic finish. Second or not, Garcia is the man and my new Corvette hero. Well done.
You and me both...

Both of my feet left the ground several times and I wasnt sitting...lol. For several years I've been a #4 Corvette fan. I think it's because so many "fans" were hating on Milner back in the day. In this one, I wanted to see #4 take it...lol.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:12 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

A FWD Nissan LMP1 car was simply bizarre. No idea what was running through their minds. The result was a foregone conclusion.

Now what Nissan should do is run the GT-R in GTLM. That would make more sense and bring some much needed luster to the street car.

Having watched Corvette Racing since the outset I am well aware of how they shut down the old GT1 class of the now defunct ALMS. But in the current IMSA GTLM I see much less likelihood of that now. The factory backed Porsches have proven evil fast and were it not for teething issues those Fords would have definitely been a problem. Can you imagine if the Audi prototype teams under Dr. Ullrich decided to also run an R8 in GTLM? Or if the cerebral Ron Dennis decided to sic a McLaren 675LT on the competition in GTLM?

What's needed is more serious factory backed teams. Trust me when I tell you that when that Ford is sorted Corvette will have its hands full. No BOP needed there.
To understand the GT-R LMp1, you have to understand the Deltawings role in that deal...even Panoz's role in the GT-R LM...it's all linked behind the scenes.

I certainly can appreciate the design aspects of the concept...in many ways it was genius. It was an expansion of what the Deltawing kind of started, it just reorganized how it worked. There was real beauty in the GTR that is took a certain eye to see.

I have a lot of love for Nissans motorsport wing because I've been involved in GT Academy for years. I actually was 51st in the US last year, which placed me about 4 spots outside the rankings that went to the national competition after disqualifiers at the top end.

That aside though, Nissans motorsports division is in some turmoil right now, and I think it's going to take a few to work itself out.

Quick Reply: 24 Hours At Daytona - 2016