Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quaife differential for street/autocross?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 10:23 PM
chpmnsws6
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Quaife differential for street/autocross?

I'm replacing my z51 transmission to a Z06 transmission. The current differential is an RPM built OS Giken diff and I'm looking at an RPM built Quaife differential. How do they respond for an autocross car? I had a torsen in my turbo Miata (and when I put an ls1 in it) and loved it, but I didn't know how these would act since they like to unload the rear inner tire.

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2016, 09:07 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Quaife and Torsen's act the same way, they both use worm gears to put the power to the tire that can use it.

Some folks like that in that it helps the car turn when power is added on corner exit.

The downside is that the diff acts more open on corner entry and this can tend to make the car feel more "loose" during hard braking, where a normal LSD would tend keep the rear end in line. But a "normal" LSD can have issues with turn in so there is that side of it too.

It is also dependent on wheelbase. With a shorter car under hard braking if you trail brake it unloads the rear end and the car will turn even with a tight clutch type LSD.

All pretty much depends on how you like to drive and how you tend to turn in. If you tend to "throw" the car a bit to get it to set, you'll probably like a more conventional LSD (and more understeer) that will let the car turn in and set without getting upset. If you're smoother then the Quaife may be better for you.

There is no right or wrong, it's more a matter of what works for your technique.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:26 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Are you not happy with the OS Giken for some reason? Most people would not trade an OSG for a Quaife. However, the quaife is nice in that it basically never needs service.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:30 PM
chpmnsws6
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

The OS is in a 27 spline differential without a cooler. The Quaife is in a 30 spline differential with a cooler.

The other option is seeing what it'd cost to have differentials swapped

Last edited by chpmnsws6; 02-08-2016 at 12:31 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Quaife differential for street/autocross?

Quick Reply: Quaife differential for street/autocross?