Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EPA is After Our Race Cars [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 09:10 AM
Feffman
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Default EPA is After Our Race Cars [MERGED]

EPA SEEKS TO PROHIBIT CONVERSION OF VEHICLES INTO RACECARS

-- SEMA to Oppose Action as Threat to Modified Racecars and Parts Suppliers --

Washington, DC (February 8, 2016) – The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has proposed a regulation to prohibit conversion of vehicles originally designed for on-road use into racecars. The regulation would also make the sale of certain products for use on such vehicles illegal. The proposed regulation was contained within a non-related proposed regulation entitled “Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Fuel Efficiency Standards for Medium- and Heavy-Duty Engines and Vehicles—Phase 2.”

The regulation would impact all vehicle types, including the sports cars, sedans and hatch-backs commonly converted strictly for use at the track. While the Clean Air Act prohibits certain modifications to motor vehicles, it is clear that vehicles built or modified for racing, and not used on the streets, are not the “motor vehicles” that Congress intended to regulate.

“This proposed regulation represents overreaching by the agency, runs contrary to the law and defies decades of racing activity where EPA has acknowledged and allowed conversion of vehicles,” said SEMA President and CEO Chris Kersting. “Congress did not intend the original Clean Air Act to extend to vehicles modified for racing and has re-enforced that intent on more than one occasion.”

SEMA submitted comments in opposition to the regulation and met with the EPA to confirm the agency’s intentions. The EPA indicated that the regulation would prohibit conversion of vehicles into racecars and make the sale of certain emissions-related parts for use on converted vehicles illegal. Working with other affected organizations, including those representing legions of professional and hobbyist racers and fans, SEMA will continue to oppose the regulation through the administrative process and will seek congressional support and judicial intervention as necessary.

The EPA has indicated it expects to publish final regulations by July 2016.

About SEMA
SEMA, the Specialty Equipment Market Association founded in 1963, represents the $36 billion specialty automotive industry of 6,633 member-companies. It is the authoritative source for research, data, trends and market growth information for the specialty auto parts industry. The industry provides appearance, performance, comfort, convenience and technology products for passenger and recreational vehicles. For more information, contact SEMA at 1575 S. Valley Vista Dr., Diamond Bar, CA 91765, tel: 909-610-2030, or visit www.sema.org.

https://www.sema.org/news/2016/02/08...-into-racecars
Old 02-09-2016, 10:58 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Default SEMA, EPA, and our Hobby.

"How far would the Environmental Protection Agency go to cut greenhouse emissions on vehicles? According to SEMA, the trade association that represents the automobile aftermarket industry, the EPA is working to ban the conversion of street cars into competition-focused racing vehicles.

In a statement released late last night, SEMA accused the EPA of hiding this proposed goal in a dense, esoteric, 629-page document in the Federal Register published last summer.

SEMA, which has opposed the rules since last year, insists this proposed regulation “would impact all vehicle types, including the sports cars, sedans and hatchbacks commonly converted strictly for use at the track. While the Clean Air Act prohibits certain modifications to motor vehicles, it is clear that vehicles built or modified for racing, and not used on the streets, are not the ‘motor vehicles’ that Congress intended to regulate.”

We are still going through the massive document, but this seems to be the portion that has raised the ire of SEMA and, potentially, enthusiasts everywhere:

Certified motor vehicles and motor vehicle engines and their emission control devices must remain in their certified configuration even if they are used solely for competition or if they become non-road vehicles or engines; anyone modifying a certified motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine for any reason is subject to the tampering and defeat device prohibitions of paragraph (a)(3) of this section and 42 U.S.C."

more here:
http://jalopnik.com/is-the-epa-tryin...=1455027103553
The following 3 users liked this post by Anthony @ LGMotorsports:
Johnny C @ OG (02-10-2016), Katech_Zach (02-09-2016), RichieRichZ06 (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 11:26 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

SEMA has always been a little alarmist. I don't think the world is actually coming to an end.

Richard Newton
Old 02-09-2016, 11:58 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by rfn026
SEMA has always been a little alarmist. I don't think the world is actually coming to an end.

Richard Newton
I don't think it is coming to an end, but this is how things slip by and then all of a sudden you can't do anything.

If you think about it, it would mean you couldn't build your own car anymore. It would mean every single World Challenge car, and even the ALMS car would have been illegal because, in some form or fashion, they all started life as a normal production car.
The following users liked this post:
Katech_Zach (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 11:59 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

http://jalopnik.com/all-the-contradi...=1455036683947
thehaggis (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 12:00 PM
Ludeaem
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

As someone commented on Jalopnik, I think this is a knee jerk reaction to the VW scandal. Much like the speed limiting for track days we had last year. I haven't heard a peep out of that since.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:03 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Yet there are cars running all over the public roads with no emissions.

I wouldn't worry about anything changing.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:13 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

unreal
Old 02-09-2016, 01:21 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
"How far would the Environmental Protection Agency go to cut greenhouse emissions on vehicles? According to SEMA, the trade association that represents the automobile aftermarket industry, the EPA is working to ban the conversion of street cars into competition-focused racing vehicles.

In a statement released late last night, SEMA accused the EPA of hiding this proposed goal in a dense, esoteric, 629-page document in the Federal Register published last summer.

SEMA, which has opposed the rules since last year, insists this proposed regulation “would impact all vehicle types, including the sports cars, sedans and hatchbacks commonly converted strictly for use at the track. While the Clean Air Act prohibits certain modifications to motor vehicles, it is clear that vehicles built or modified for racing, and not used on the streets, are not the ‘motor vehicles’ that Congress intended to regulate.”

We are still going through the massive document, but this seems to be the portion that has raised the ire of SEMA and, potentially, enthusiasts everywhere:

Certified motor vehicles and motor vehicle engines and their emission control devices must remain in their certified configuration even if they are used solely for competition or if they become non-road vehicles or engines; anyone modifying a certified motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine for any reason is subject to the tampering and defeat device prohibitions of paragraph (a)(3) of this section and 42 U.S.C."

more here:
http://jalopnik.com/is-the-epa-tryin...=1455027103553
Thanks, I agree, this is how the crap gets passed (like OB care, "You have to pass it to know what is in it") anyone remember that one?

Just to be clear, the EPA does not do the "bidding" of congress. The EPA geeks "dream up" the crap & send it to congress for their signature (they (congress)don't actually read it)

Last edited by froggy47; 02-09-2016 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:43 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Can we start by collecting some signatures or making a donation to fight for our cause here?
Old 02-09-2016, 02:07 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by rfn026

Richard Newton
SEMA is our watchful eye on oppressive government regulation in our industry. It is their duty. SEMA informed me of a bill in the Michigan legislature to require front license plates. I started a Facebook group against it and the bill died before going to a vote. Many of our members wrote letters to our state legislators. I'm not saying I had anything to do with it, but we, the people, were ready to fight it because SEMA kept us informed.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
383 (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 03:01 PM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
Thanks, I agree, this is how the crap gets passed (like OB care, "You have to pass it to know what is in it") anyone remember that one?

Just to be clear, the EPA does not do the "bidding" of congress. The EPA geeks "dream up" the crap & send it to congress for their signature (they (congress)don't actually read it)

Here I am enjoying my lunch and you bring up Pelosi...

They rarely take anything away quickly anymore. It's all a slow death, piece by piece, and/or taxed into extinction.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:18 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

https://www.change.org/p/president-o...ion-custom_msg
Old 02-09-2016, 04:00 PM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Evan Belser, U.S. EPA, Mobile Source Enforcement Branch, Branch Chief, is the new head of his department.

He is out to make a name for himself. He was truly scary to listen to at SEMA this year. He basically told us that there is no such thing as off road competition use only. If the vehicle was emission certified by the OEM then it would have to meet that cert even if converted to a race car never to see the street again.

I have personally attended the meetings and listened to CARB and EPA representatives address the SEMA membership for the better part of 30 years. For the most part we have been able to work with both agencies to arrive at solutions that benefit all. A prime example is the program currently in place that allows aftermarket companies to demonstrate that their products are emission compliant.

When the clean air act was first enacted, EPA and CARB basically took the position that it was illegal to change the jets in your carburetor, let alone anything else. Through the efforts of SEMA we have come along way to where we are now, with emission legal cylinder heads, supercharger kits and many other go fast goodies.

Don't stick your head in the sand and dismiss SEMA as alarmists. They are the only thing that stands between automotive enthusiasts, and the EPA and CARB taking away our right to enjoy our sport.

Their assault on the automotive aftermarket is higher now than it has ever been. Their fanaticism, borders on that of religious zealots.

Last edited by Rookieracer; 02-09-2016 at 04:02 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Rookieracer:
Anthony @ LGMotorsports (02-10-2016), Bad Karma (02-09-2016), BrianCunningham (02-09-2016), Katech_Zach (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 05:42 PM
Rexracer77
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't see the EPA coming to the track and confiscating your race car. They dont have the resources to enforce it.

I DO see the EPA leveraging fines against manufactures of parts to the point they cant make anything.

I DO see the EPA going after the race tracks so they cant have any cars that are "illegal" on their tracks.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:13 PM
Stanley Distribution
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted this CFOT also.

The EPA can kiss my big white *** if they think they have any room to tell me what I do to a car I own, and I'm racing.

It's as simple as that. I play by the rules. If I put an exhaust on a car, it always has a high flow cat on it. I don't just bypass emissions systems on my street cars ect.

But enough is enough, they need to stop messing with car enthusiasts that mod their cars.

If you want to go after some one, how about all the BRO's in Diesel trucks rolling coal?
Old 02-09-2016, 06:57 PM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Not an over reaction considering the source.

SEMA is to the automarket aftermarket what the NRA is to gun owners. The comparison shouldn't go any further since this is apples/oranges, however with the right political backing this thing could gain traction. This would impact the largest auto racing body in the country and they have lots of money. NASCAR won't have it. The rest of the US racing contingent can get on their program and end this before it starts.

Last edited by ZedO6; 02-09-2016 at 09:06 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To EPA is After Our Race Cars [MERGED]

Old 02-09-2016, 09:01 PM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Here is a link to the Sema Action Network and a White House petition against this EPA proposal. Please sign the petition and let your voice be heard.

http://semasan.com/page.asp?content=...paign=LegAlert
moose.b3 (02-10-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 09:56 PM
theseal
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Do not let it lie, you will regret it.

Last edited by theseal; 02-09-2016 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:20 PM
a striper
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedO6
Not an over reaction considering the source.

SEMA is to the automarket aftermarket what the NRA is to gun owners. The comparison shouldn't go any further since this is apples/oranges, however with the right political backing this thing could gain traction. This would impact the largest auto racing body in the country and they have lots of money. NASCAR won't have it. The rest of the US racing contingent can get on their program and end this before it starts.
I believe SEMA does a lot of good for the individual car lover but it is different than the relationship that gun owners have with the NRA. In theory the NRA represents gun owners. SEMA represents the companies that sell products to car owner. Just as Smith and Wesson was quick to get on board with proposed restrictive gun laws years ago because it believed it would benefit financially, SEMA members could easily go along with restrictive legislation that still lets them profit.

Not related to the current race car issue but something to consider. The scenario that would put SEMA in a situation where it profits at the car loves expense has been proposed and could come back. Under the heading of "best technology" there are those who advocate a limit on how long an automobile can be operated. There would be an exception would be for vehicles retrofitted with current certified engine packages. After some arbitrary period of years the retrofitted engine would need to be replaced again with whatever is certified at that time. Those who sell certified packages may join with car hates to say that this is for the common good and should be the path forward. Today one can by a certified 650 HP LT4 but when that set up is not compliant then it's just too bad. The next swap might need to be electric.

Quick Reply: EPA is After Our Race Cars [MERGED]