Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires for Cool Days Running HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 09:17 PM
C6C3Vettes
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Tires for Cool Days Running HPDE

I run HPDE events with NASA for a couple of years and have found in the in the mornings early and late in the season I struggle to find grip. I usually run Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires. Are there different tires I can try? Should I just change tire pressure when temps are cool. I appreciate any advice.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:06 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I raced on Hoosier R7s and A7s this past weekend in 20* weather. Everyone was having trouble with grip from street tires to 200tw summer tires to R-comps. It is just a low-grip situation in cold weather.

Unfortunately, there isn't a magic tire for when it is cold outside. You just simply have to be more cautious in the early laps and wait for the heat to build in them.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:19 PM
camcam
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have found that regular street summer tires are *better* at dealing with cold temps. Not that they will magically give you all the grip that you want, but a 200TW street tire is going to be alot more predictable when cold than Hoosier slicks for example.

Since you are on a street-ish tire already with 180TW, I would say there's not much you can do short of giving them a bit more time to heatup before railing on the car.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:41 PM
insertclevername
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What cold pressures are you currently using when it's cold out? What cold pressures are you using when it's warmer out?

I will agree that it is normal in colder weather, to wait longer for heat to build, before going after it.

However I would think it might help some to get your pressures zeroed. If your on the low side, adding a couple psi cold might help.

Just incase you haven't read the brocure, Michelin put together some great info.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...nd_Feeding.pdf

Good luck, that's a great tire, as long as they are not worn or old. I would use what you got and work on the cold pressures.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:00 PM
Tomswheels
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Super sports have been the most predictable tire I have used in the cold on track.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:58 PM
JEPopp
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I ran the Michelin Cup tires for alsmost 2 years, once on a 55 degree party sunny day....they don't like the cold. I tried several pressure settings, and never had a good feel with them. They never heated up enough to pick up excess rubber from the track.

I've since switched to Bridgestone RE11. On a 65 degree cloudy day, they had a good feel and collected some pick-up from the track. Granted they don't have the ultimate grip of the Cup tire, but I like them and they're less expensive too.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:14 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Hoosier A7s ......or, if they are cheaper, A6s...both good cold
Old 02-16-2016, 11:34 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

HPDE's are fun with any tire. I know that statement sounds strange but I am serious. I love it when a tire starts going away. It gives me a chance to find something that works. After all, any HPDE is a learning experience. If you find you can change the line, change the braking, adjust steering inputs, modulate the throttle input better, correct gear changing numbers, etc.. and get quicker lap times then you are learning the art. Now, if we are talking competition specific then that is a whole different animal. That is when you want the bubble on center right out of the gate. In other words, enjoy the return of whatever tire scratches your itch on cost, reward, performance and mission while HPDEing. One of these days while competing your experience on making the car work for you on the fly will bring home the trophy. In that vein I would also offer that one must be careful when going from a 40 tread wear rating such as R7's back to a street tire at the edge of performance. That is when all the experience of making whatever tire work really pays in dividends.

Seriously, I hate to think how much money I wasted on good rubber that I burned up not reaching even half way to the performance offered by such tires while learning to drive.

Last edited by SouthernSon; 02-16-2016 at 11:36 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Tires for Cool Days Running HPDE

Quick Reply: Tires for Cool Days Running HPDE