Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a7 vs r7 vs others

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 12:00 AM
jtswenson
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default a7 vs r7 vs others

I'll be running 18x11 and 18x12 on my ZR1, and I'm finding all kinds of different opinions on tires.

I was certain that I'd go with the r7's as I'm wanting something I can turn some laps in, but also hopefully warm up enough for autox. After reading a few reviews it seems like r7s seem like they fall off quickly and won't obviously be the best choice for autox.

I'd love someone with corvette experience with our sizes and weight to chime in. I plan to run around -3 front camber and am not sure what i'll do in the rear.

Thanks guys!
Old 02-28-2016, 10:38 AM
theseal
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Never been on r7's but definitely the a7's fastest lap is the one with the stickers on it. And it is fast. And then it drops off. Fast. Basicslly if you know your car and track well and have clear track with no traffic, run an a7 one lap and nail a great lap time. Then throw them away or use them for de only.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:08 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by theseal
Never been on r7's but definitely the a7's fastest lap is the one with the stickers on it. And it is fast. And then it drops off. Fast. Basicslly if you know your car and track well and have clear track with no traffic, run an a7 one lap and nail a great lap time. Then throw them away or use them for de only.
I'm not sue I agree with this. Danny Popp runs A6 Hoosiers successfully in wheel to wheel RACES in both wet and dry conditions, and manages to beat everyone. Other racers have had similar results. Not saying A6=A7, but it works with A6s.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:17 AM
theseal
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
I'm not sue I agree with this. Danny Popp runs A6 Hoosiers successfully in wheel to wheel RACES in both wet and dry conditions, and manages to beat everyone. Other racers have had similar results. Not saying A6=A7, but it works with A6s.
Didnt know that, but maybe if its cold out that would help.

Bottom line, i have run a7's once. First lap out i ddidnt expect it to be a great lap, had some traffic, and was not really a good lap, but it was a 1:39 at msrh in a basically bone stock c5z, which is apparently pretty quick. I was thinking, wow, i should get into the 1:36's based on that lap. Well, i certainly drove much better as the weekend went on but i never got under 1:40 again. Lots of 1:40 laps, but i think they were legit 2+ seconds faster right out of the box than after one session. They corded after about 80 minutes of track time, partly because my camber bolts slipped in the back. I thought it felt a little goosey!
Old 02-28-2016, 11:04 PM
jtswenson
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've heard they're very, very dependent on pressures. I just don't know what else I'd even run.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:47 AM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

A7's...

I have run a6's, a7's and r6's, as well as Continentals on the zr1. Very happy with A7's and never thought they would do dual purpose until I bought my race prep z06 and the previous owner used A7's for his races all the time...

I gave it a shot- The a7's are up to speed before the race brakes are (not an issue in the zr1), at the end of a session, the a's are starting to get a bit greasy if its hot out, but its easy enough for me to manage- I did 8-10 track days on a set of a7's... they werent as great at the end as the beginning, but very respectable times with well used a7's in our time trial division at roebling... I set the fastest time of the weekend on 6 track day old a7's...
Old 03-04-2016, 10:50 AM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

As for pressures- 30ish hot for hpde, 34-36 hot for autox on the a series seems to be the sweet spot for me
Old 03-04-2016, 11:14 AM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jtswenson
I've heard they're very, very dependent on setup. I just don't know what else I'd even run.
Fixed that for you. From the local autocross guys moving from A6's to A7's, if your setup is good for A6's, you'll get better life and performance out of an A7. If your setup was not quite right for A6's, you'll destroy A7's faster and go slower on them.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:15 PM
cwikstro
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

If you are running your street car for auto x and want to be fast get a set of A's and only use for this, they will last way longer and be consistent for you. For track day use, since these are not races, longevity would be the priority for me. I run A and R in road race and each heat cycle takes it toll. Once you HC an A it will start to fall off and therefore not be as good for auto x as they get harder. It will cost more to have 2 sets, but really using same tires for both won't be ideal. Maybe a track day tire you can run on the street too?

Get notified of new replies

To a7 vs r7 vs others

Quick Reply: a7 vs r7 vs others