Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experience with solid motor mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 12:47 PM
Dubstep Shep
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Experience with solid motor mounts?

Car is a 2007 Z06.

I noticed that one of my stock motor mounts on my car appears to be blown the other day when I was working on my brakes. I was hoping to wait until I pulled the motor to replace the mounts, but I think that timetable is going to be moved up.

In any case, I'm not a fan of polyurethane or stock mounts. Has anyone used solid or delrin mounts? I've had trouble finding any. About the only ones I've seen are the MTI Racing Aluminum mounts with the rubber pad.

I'm aware I will have more NVH with these mounts. The car is trailered to and from race events and almost never driven on the street. The exhaust alone hits 115 dB inside the cab, so yea...

I've heard some people express concern that solid mounts will put more stress on the engine block and distort in. Of course, that's on older cars that don't have frames as stiff as the C6 Z06. I could also add a bar too take any sort of deflection if it was a possible issue.

Also, is it worth getting lowering mounts at all?

Really I'm just looking for some input here. If there were any guys with full blown race cars and solid mounts, I'd love to hear your experience.

Last edited by Dubstep Shep; 03-03-2016 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:30 PM
Twistedpixels
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the hinson mounts. They are not solid but very stiff. https://www.hinsonsupercars.com/p-12...vette-gto.aspx

I put them on my car since both mounts busted on me and were causing my driver side header to hit the steering arm. I have had them on for about a year now and I dont even notice them. The motor is super stiff though and doesnt shake like with the stockers. They have ones that are 3/8 lower as well. I used the stock heat shields on them as well. They also sell the heat wrap for them. I would not go solid mounts. I daily my car and take it and drive it hard in the mountains and canyons a lot and so far they hold up great.

Last edited by Twistedpixels; 03-03-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:37 PM
Dubstep Shep
Pro

Originally Posted by Twistedpixels
Get the hinson mounts. They are not solid but very stiff. https://www.hinsonsupercars.com/p-12...vette-gto.aspx

I put them on my car since both mounts busted on me and were causing my driver side header to hit the steering arm. I have had them on for about a year now and I dont even notice them. The motor is super stiff though and doesnt shake like with the stockers. They have ones that are 3/8 lower as well. I used the stock heat shields on them as well. They also sell the heat wrap for them. I would not go solid mounts.
Unfortunately, Hinson only makes poly mounts.

I think at this stage it might be easiest to just make my own out of some aluminum bar stock. I've only found a couple places that sell them and they're WAY overpriced IMO for two pieces of aluminum with a bolt through them.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:04 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

a few ebay vendors sell poly, delrin, and aluminum mounts for cheap

the issue is that your knock sensors may give false readings with solid mounts so you may have to tune out the timing retard tables

good luck!

Old 03-04-2016, 08:02 AM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

Pfadt mounts
Old 03-04-2016, 09:56 AM
Dubstep Shep
Pro

Originally Posted by el es tu
a few ebay vendors sell poly, delrin, and aluminum mounts for cheap

the issue is that your knock sensors may give false readings with solid mounts so you may have to tune out the timing retard tables

good luck!

That's what I've heard, but I've never actually met someone that has done solid mounts and had the knock sensors go off. To me, it sounds like a bunch of made up internet voodoo. The mounts connect the motor to the frame, not the knock sensors to the motor. There's no reason you should need any sort of vibration dampening in a properly balanced engine.

Not saying you're wrong, but like I said, I've never actually heard from someone that has done solid mounts and had that issue. I'll document my experiences if I do go solid mounts.

Originally Posted by c5racr1
Pfadt mounts
Unfortunately, the Pfadt mounts are also Polyurethane. They're also quite expensive...

I think I'm just going to buy a set of these:
https://creative-steel.com/shop/97-0...-ultra-mounts/

I looked into material costs, and the aluminum would cost me about $50 to begin with, so $90-$100 is quite reasonable IMO.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:47 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

a thread with more information on the topic:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...or-mounts.html

Last edited by el es tu; 03-04-2016 at 01:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
thehaggis (03-05-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 02:02 PM
Dubstep Shep
Pro

Originally Posted by el es tu
a thread with more information on the topic:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...or-mounts.html

Thanks for the link. Apparently my search wasn't thorough enough lol.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:24 PM
nitrouspaul
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

DUBSTEP

I am going to make 1 solid for my drivers side any day now with my lathe did you buy those 95 dollar ones? if so what is the vibrations??I may put a thin layer of rubber top and bottom to reduce harmonics

Last edited by nitrouspaul; 04-02-2016 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:58 PM
Dubstep Shep
Pro

Originally Posted by nitrouspaul
DUBSTEP

I am going to make 1 solid for my drivers side any day now with my lathe did you buy those 95 dollar ones? if so what is the vibrations??I may put a thin layer of rubber top and bottom to reduce harmonics
Why would you run with just one solid mount? That seems like a bad idea...

Yes, I bought the solid ones cut 1/2" shorter and I'm currently running them with with 1/4" of rubber between them and the frame.

I can't really tell a difference on the vibrations at all.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:46 PM
Larry Myers
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 78 Posts

I installed the Hinson mounts about two years ago.

They have preformed flawlessly. Some increase in HVH but nothing significant. You can witness the improvement by the reduction in shifter movement when shifting.

Would I install them again? You bet.

Get notified of new replies

To Experience with solid motor mounts?

Quick Reply: Experience with solid motor mounts?