Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yes, another autox number thread...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 01:25 PM
sureshot007
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yes, another autox number thread...

Those of you that run with codrivers - what's your preferred method for numbers? Static cling, removable vinyl? How well does either hold up to removing/reapplying the "1" between runs? Are there any issues with weather, like at the Toledo Pro last year?
Old 03-05-2016, 12:23 PM
thehaggis
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Heh, cheers for asking this, just realized my magnetic numbers won't work anymore
Old 03-06-2016, 08:23 AM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I have used static cling for many years, but always put it on the day before events using water and a squeegee. If the car & numbers are clean they will stay on in rain and at highway speeds. I think you would need to do duct tape or similar if you are on & off with extra digit at an event. Static cling does not do well with dusty surfaces.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:12 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I have seen people put the full number on and then cross out one of the numbers with blue tape
Old 03-06-2016, 10:02 PM
flyby763
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
I have seen people put the full number on and then cross out one of the numbers with blue tape
This.

There's a couple in the local club that take the 1 off and stick it to the drivers helmet that has that car to remind to put it on. Seems to work well but I've never asked what brand it is or how long they last.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:57 AM
sureshot007
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
This is what I usually do if I have a magnetic placard. Does the painter's tape pull the static cling off?
Old 03-07-2016, 10:55 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The only issue would be the amount of time available between runs to add or remove the number. And remembering to do it....

Most number sets are sold as individual numbers so it's fairly easy to attach and remove a number with a co-driver. Static cling would be the easiest to deal with as it can be kept in the car, on the other driver's helmet. The key is having the surface clean before placing the number on the car. Same with the static cling number itself.

I also use static cling numbers and spray on a mist of water before installing the numbers. Then I use a piece of stiff cardboard to squeegee out the water and that forms a nice bond. I have used static cling number for track days and they stay in place at speeds over 130 with no problems.

Get notified of new replies

To Yes, another autox number thread...

Quick Reply: Yes, another autox number thread...