Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Popping my vette trackday cherry

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 07:31 AM
thehaggis
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Popping my vette trackday cherry

Morning all, I have a few questions.

I have a week till the Jzilla Death of Winter hpde, and while this is my 6th hpde, it's my first in a Corvette. All my previous events were in a VW Jetta and wanted to know if you had any advice on what to expect from the vette, pros and cons or any must have equipment, I can get this week.

The car is a manual 2005 (Z51) w/68k and is my DD/funday car. I bought it in Nov. and I've replaced the motor/trannymounts with Hinson, tires with BFG g-Force Sport COMP2, DRM Bilsteins, gotten an alignment, replaced all the fluids, added the Z06 brake ducts, and installed a MWG short shift kit, pedal kit and momo steering wheel. So that is where I stand with the car, most of upgrades, so far, were to replace tired components or improve my input.

I'm planning on starting in novice due to my previous experience being in a front wheel econobox. Any tips or tricks to keeping it between the grass, out of the sand traps, and off the towtruck, is appreciated.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:56 AM
t.renz791
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sound like you have your head on straight. Just keep a calm head, understand that its a school not a race (which it sounds like you do). I would run with bmwcca or PCA since those tend to me more conservative esp in novice.

Think of it like there is a pendulum hanging from the bottom of the steering wheel in the middle. As you track out, the wheel straightens, and that imaginary pendulum lowers - and apply the throttle in a similar fashion. I imagine in that jetta you could put it to the board the second you hit the apex... The vette you will have to be a little more gentle with your inputs.

You'll enjoy!
The following users liked this post:
thehaggis (03-05-2016)
Old 03-05-2016, 11:56 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by thehaggis
Morning all, I have a few questions.

I have a week till the Jzilla Death of Winter hpde, and while this is my 6th hpde, it's my first in a Corvette. All my previous events were in a VW Jetta and wanted to know if you had any advice on what to expect from the vette, pros and cons or any must have equipment, I can get this week.

The car is a manual 2005 (Z51) w/68k and is my DD/funday car. I bought it in Nov. and I've replaced the motor/trannymounts with Hinson, tires with BFG g-Force Sport COMP2, DRM Bilsteins, gotten an alignment, replaced all the fluids, added the Z06 brake ducts, and installed a MWG short shift kit, pedal kit and momo steering wheel. So that is where I stand with the car, most of upgrades, so far, were to replace tired components or improve my input.

I'm planning on starting in novice due to my previous experience being in a front wheel econobox. Any tips or tricks to keeping it between the grass, out of the sand traps, and off the towtruck, is appreciated.
Only thing I did not see:

DOT 4 brake fluid and track pads XP10 front XP8 rear
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
thehaggis (03-05-2016)
Old 03-05-2016, 12:45 PM
TorontoC6
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Front wheel drive versus rear wheel drive - throttle input is key to balancing the car.

Unlike your Jetta, you will steer the front of the car with the steering wheel and the rear of the car with the throttle on exit. Focus on smooth throttle application, squeeze on. Don't hammer the throttle.
thehaggis (03-05-2016)
Old 03-05-2016, 04:12 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Have a blast. I started tracking a GTI in 2006, bought another one in 2010, then switched to the Vette in 2012. No regrets, well, except for the huge whole in my pocket from tracking a mostly stock GTI to a racecar Vette...
thehaggis (03-05-2016)
Old 03-05-2016, 04:33 PM
thehaggis
Instructor

Well bugger this just happened...I now have this chirping, that will not stop above 1k rpm. We noticed it after doing a hard 2nd and 3rd pull. We also smelled burnt rubber or dead skunk (it is Georgia)..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMZZ...ature=youtu.be

Really, really hoping it's just a bad belt

Last edited by thehaggis; 03-05-2016 at 04:33 PM. Reason: video
Old 03-06-2016, 12:55 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Check the front crank pulley. The harmonic balancer may need to be replaced. Check to see if the pulley is wobbling. If it is get it fixed before going to the track.

The Vette won't understeer as much as the Jetta under acceleration (remember the class room discussions of the friction circle). However, if you try to push into a corner too fast it will understeer, the solution is a judicious lift off the throttle and then reapplication of the throttle. The Vette will give you some trailing throttle oversteer which will correct the understeer and as the car comes back on line you roll onto the throttle and go. It will pull like mad off the corner without revving the engine high so you don't need to be in really low gear. On most tracks Vettes do very well just using 3rd and 4th gears.

Bill
thehaggis (03-06-2016)
Old 03-07-2016, 09:22 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Well you mentioned Jzilla and you say you live in atlanta so I'm going to assume you are going to be at AMP in dawsonville.

Its an awesome track!
so work up your speed in the first tight carousel
And the long sweeper is apply throttle through the whole curve.
DO NOT HAMMER THE THROTTLE anywhere!
Straight to turn one - work on threshold braking there
Start with hitting the brakes at the start/finish and work up to where you can get slowed down for turn one.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:54 AM
thehaggis
Instructor

Originally Posted by jaa1992
Well you mentioned Jzilla and you say you live in atlanta so I'm going to assume you are going to be at AMP in dawsonville.

Its an awesome track!
so work up your speed in the first tight carousel
And the long sweeper is apply throttle through the whole curve.
DO NOT HAMMER THE THROTTLE anywhere!
Straight to turn one - work on threshold braking there
Start with hitting the brakes at the start/finish and work up to where you can get slowed down for turn one.
Cheers, I will be gingerly applying throttle. Quick question for you, what is your setting for the front lowering bolts to avoid bottoming out on T 11?
Old 03-07-2016, 02:46 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

1. terminal speeds will be a lot higher so brake earlier than you would in the VW. Take very small bites out of the brake points as day progresses
2. pull into the pits if you get stuck in a train. In novice, they can sometimes take forever to break up. You need open track to learn and you rarely learn anything in novice stuck behind someone except what their car looks like from the back
3. in the novice run group in a 'vette, corner exit is so much more important than corner entry, focus on the latter almost exclusively. If you train yourself early to do this, your lap time will fall much more quickly
4. smooth and easy with the controls especially the go pedal - your instructor will thank you for it

Get notified of new replies

To Popping my vette trackday cherry

Quick Reply: Popping my vette trackday cherry