Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternatives to Hoosier H2O?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 06:43 AM
darguy
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Alternatives to Hoosier H2O?

Hey Gang

I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of Hoosier 315/30/18 A7s & 305/30/18 H20s for my 1999 FRC race car for this season. Trick is, I'm in Canada and the dollar is killing us these days. I can get many different mfg tires at cost through work, but not Hoosiers - these I'd have to order from the US directly and have shipped up.

For example, the A7s & H20s landed in Vancouver from Tire Rack end up at $5016 Cdn with shipping & taxes in. I can get a set of Nitto NT-01s for $1684 (not as good as A7s, but the best bang for the buck for what I can get locally).

What do we like for an alternative to Hoosier H20 for wet condition road racing? Pirelli, Bridgestone, Continental, etc - would the best of these be more of an 'intermediate' tire than a comparable to the H2O wets? I haven't run them so have no baseline for comparison.

Oh, and looking forward to Melbourne...

Old 03-12-2016, 03:17 AM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by darguy
Hey Gang

I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of Hoosier 315/30/18 A7s & 305/30/18 H20s for my 1999 FRC race car for this season. Trick is, I'm in Canada and the dollar is killing us these days. I can get many different mfg tires at cost through work, but not Hoosiers - these I'd have to order from the US directly and have shipped up.

For example, the A7s & H20s landed in Vancouver from Tire Rack end up at $5016 Cdn with shipping & taxes in. I can get a set of Nitto NT-01s for $1684 (not as good as A7s, but the best bang for the buck for what I can get locally).

What do we like for an alternative to Hoosier H20 for wet condition road racing? Pirelli, Bridgestone, Continental, etc - would the best of these be more of an 'intermediate' tire than a comparable to the H2O wets? I haven't run them so have no baseline for comparison.

Oh, and looking forward to Melbourne...

I would buy some used Hoosier or Conti Wets (depending on what you can use in your class). I bought used Conti wets 2 seasons ago from GT Racing tires for $135 per tire. They looked brand new. This season I bought unused Hoosier H2Os from a forum member for $800. I think paying full retail for tires you're mostly not going to use is a waste of money.

Oh and if you've never used either of the above tires in the wet, they're amazing and worth every penny.

Last edited by StreetSpeed; 03-12-2016 at 03:18 AM.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:07 AM
darguy
Drifting

Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
I would buy some used Hoosier or Conti Wets (depending on what you can use in your class). I bought used Conti wets 2 seasons ago from GT Racing tires for $135 per tire. They looked brand new. This season I bought unused Hoosier H2Os from a forum member for $800. I think paying full retail for tires you're mostly not going to use is a waste of money.

Oh and if you've never used either of the above tires in the wet, they're amazing and worth every penny.
You make a good point, I'll see if there are any good used sets to be had. The weather around here is wet though, even in the summer we've had significant rain on race weekends.

And, I'll look into the ExtremeContact Wet tires, I can get Contis through work so hopefully those will be available if need be.

Old 03-12-2016, 01:32 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

You make a good point, I'll see if there are any good used sets to be had. The weather around here is wet though, even in the summer we've had significant rain on race weekends.

And, I'll look into the ExtremeContact Wet tires, I can get Contis through work so hopefully those will be available if need be.

Awesome. But again, check with your group if you can use the Contis. In NASA you take a mod factor hit for using them, even though they're the same damn tire as the Hoosier. Which is why I bought a new set bof H20s o replace my once used Conti's.

In fact, if you want I'll sell my Conti's to you. Say $25 per tire plus shipping? I'd just throw them out if not. They're 285 front 305 rear.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:17 PM
darguy
Drifting

Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
Awesome. But again, check with your group if you can use the Contis. In NASA you take a mod factor hit for using them, even though they're the same damn tire as the Hoosier. Which is why I bought a new set bof H20s o replace my once used Conti's.

In fact, if you want I'll sell my Conti's to you. Say $25 per tire plus shipping? I'd just throw them out if not. They're 285 front 305 rear.
Interesting offer... Are they all 18", or are the 285s 17" - I'm running C5 Z06 rears all around. Do you take a mod hit because they're not DOT? I'll check, but I think that may be a requirement with the CACC.

Old 03-12-2016, 10:24 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Interesting offer... Are they all 18", or are the 285s 17" - I'm running C5 Z06 rears all around. Do you take a mod hit because they're not DOT? I'll check, but I think that may be a requirement with the CACC.

They are all 18s. Yes the mod hit is for non-DOT.

Get notified of new replies

To Alternatives to Hoosier H2O?

Quick Reply: Alternatives to Hoosier H2O?