Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbotech or G-Loc pads on a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 06:18 PM
JimMueller
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Carbotech or G-Loc pads on a daily driver?

I wasn't sure where to ask this, please feel free to move if necessary. The pads would be going on a slightly heavier car with a base C6 caliper conversion, using polished aluminum wheels.

I've used Hawk DTC-30 pads previously and currently use Ferodo DS2500 pads on my daily driver. I loved the DTC-30's, except for the fact they gouged the rotors (new rotors about every 3 months), and when the dust was on hot wheels, then got wet, and allowed to dry in the sun ... it was hell to remove the baked on dust from the wheels.

The DS2500's are daily driver friendly, but I miss the more aggressive nature of the DTC-30's. Ideally I'm hoping to find something like a slightly more aggressive DS2500 but with a different pad material where I don't need to worry about washing the wheels & paint so often. As long as the noise isn't worse than the DTC-30's I'm not worried about it.

Someone on another forum with a weekend warrior car recommended I try the XP8 on the front. Yet, someone on a third forum commented that he waited too long to clean the dust off his paint and it turned into some sort of sludge which was difficult to remove.

What I'm interested in are folks who use this pad on a daily driver which sees at least 100 miles per week, driven in dry, wet and southern US temperatures, and what challenges you've had with those pads which made it difficult to keep the wheels and paint nice. I like being able to go weeks or months without washing the wheels or paint with the DS2500's.

I've also been told to check out G-Loc, their background seems to be related to the family which runs Carbotech.

Thanks!

Last edited by JimMueller; 03-14-2016 at 07:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-14-2016, 06:44 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

What are you using the car for?
Old 03-14-2016, 07:48 PM
JimMueller
Advanced

Previously it was classed as CP in autocross even though it had/has a completely stock interior, but I haven't autox'ed in maybe 6-7 years. Would like to keep it similarly prepared.

HPDE some day but not in the foreseeable future. Will use dedicated track pads for HPDE, though, probably XP10/12 front, unsure on rear pads.

Last edited by JimMueller; 03-14-2016 at 07:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-15-2016, 09:18 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

I would consider the XP8 and I don't see the dust being an issue. I have never herd Carbotechs dust not coming of with just soap and water. If you decide on the XP8 I will be happy to help you.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28

Last edited by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com; 03-15-2016 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:49 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

I DD'd XP10 for about a year and loved them. Even cold they were far superior to street pads, but they did dust more than a street pad. If you don't clean your wheels every week or 2, you'll be scrubbing hard to get the last little bit of dust out. I drive the car 15 miles each way to work, so 150 miles a week or better when it's not winter.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:18 PM
JimMueller
Advanced

Do you think the XP8 would require the same cleaning schedule? Danny at G-Loc (formerly with CT) thought I'd be able to get away with monthly washing on the 8's. Hmm
Old 03-16-2016, 01:42 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

I don't see an issue I wouldn't go past a month.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:17 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JimMueller
Do you think the XP8 would require the same cleaning schedule? Danny at G-Loc (formerly with CT) thought I'd be able to get away with monthly washing on the 8's. Hmm
That's a subjective question. Most people don't drive their Corvettes 100+ miles per week, so bear that in mind with all the yes answers.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:00 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I did XP9s a long time ago on a DD. Ate the hell out of the rotors, but stopped great.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:06 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mgarfias
I did XP9s a long time ago on a DD. Ate the hell out of the rotors, but stopped great.
Good point, forgot to mention my XP10s lathed the rotors pretty good.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:41 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Maybe you should look at the AX6 dustier than XP8 but easier on rotors.

Carbotech™ AX6™

The AX6™ is specifically engineered for Autocross applications. A high torque brake compound delivering reliable and consistent performance over a very wide operating temperature range of 50°F to 1000°F + (10°C to 537°C+). The advanced compound matrix provides an excellent initial bite, high coefficient of friction at lower temperatures along with very progressive brake modulation and release characteristics. Many drivers use the AX6™ for street driving as well, even though Carbotech™ doesn't recommend street driving with AX6™ due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise. AX6™ is NOT recommended as a race compound in most applications.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:05 AM
JimMueller
Advanced

So last year I chose to try the G-Loc R6 compound. It was time to replace those pads recently, since the front right was down to the rivets; front left still had plenty of wear left on it. Possible that the right had a mild issue with the slider pin.

Over the past couple of months, I hadn't been able to wash the wheels as often. When I washed them a couple of weeks ago, the brake dust had settled into the lip on the front wheels. I haven't tried hard at removing that yet, but for the dusting reason I asked about the G-Loc GS-1 compound, but it wasn't in stock and I couldn't wait too long. So I chose to try the CT 1521 compound.

The R6's had nice modulation and good stopping power. I couldn't hear any brake noise from them inside the car but they didn't come with wear indicators. I'm only trying something else due to the wheel washing schedule.

The first few days on the 1521 have left me very disappointed. High pedal, torque comes in early but then seems to flat line; I miss the ability to increase brake force by pressing harder on the pedal. Noticeably longer stopping distances as well even in daily driver traffic. Not sure how long it'll take to obtain a proper transfer layer but I'm tempted to order different pads right now and throw these POS's in the trash.

Last edited by JimMueller; 08-12-2017 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:04 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by JimMueller
So last year I chose to try the G-Loc R6 compound. It was time to replace those pads recently, since the front right was down to the rivets; front left still had plenty of wear left on it. Possible that the right had a mild issue with the slider pin.

Over the past couple of months, I hadn't been able to wash the wheels as often. When I washed them a couple of weeks ago, the brake dust had settled into the lip on the front wheels. I haven't tried hard at removing that yet, but for the dusting reason I asked about the G-Loc GS-1 compound, but it wasn't in stock and I couldn't wait too long. So I chose to try the CT 1521 compound.

The R6's had nice modulation and good stopping power. I couldn't hear any brake noise from them inside the car but they didn't come with wear indicators. I'm only trying something else due to the wheel washing schedule.

The first few days on the 1521 have left me very disappointed. High pedal, torque comes in early but then seems to flat line; I miss the ability to increase brake force by pressing harder on the pedal. Noticeably longer stopping distances as well even in daily driver traffic. Not sure how long it'll take to obtain a proper transfer layer but I'm tempted to order different pads right now and throw these POS's in the trash.
You went from an Auto X designed pad weather it was R6 or AX6 (same pad). That pad has a lot of torque built in to because it is specifically engineered for Autocross applications.

The 1521 was built for street use so of course there is going to be a total different pedal feel along with longer distance in stopping performance. How many miles on the 1521 pads?

They need a few 100 miles for proper transfer of pad material.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:14 AM
JimMueller
Advanced

Still less than 100 miles. I made a rash decision to try the 1521's but I'll give them a few hundred miles and see if I can get accustomed to them.

Get notified of new replies

To Carbotech or G-Loc pads on a daily driver?

Quick Reply: Carbotech or G-Loc pads on a daily driver?