Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know this car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 06:42 PM
cre8fun
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Anyone know this car?

I'm looking for a car for HPDE. I came across this car, but the owner does not really know anything about it. He bought it from a guy in Dallas about 2 years ago. was going to track it, but said it's basically been sitting. All mods done by previous owner.

It's clearly got some good mods, but I really don't want a "project." I can see it's got brembos all around, Pfadt coilovers and sways. it looks like someone changed the exhaust (because it's rusted to hell). actually the A arms seems to indicate the car has been in a pretty rust prone environment. previous owner told current owner it has a trans/diff cooler, but current owner has no idea where or what kind. so I feel like I'd be buying "door number 2" on the price is right. no idea whats really there or what condition it's in.

So I'm debating, do I just pass and continue looking for a car that a seller knows and has been actively using or do I take a shot that this car can be ready to go with little work and head scratching. Open to thoughts and would love it if someone from Dallas knew who's car it was (car is now in Houston). then possibly I could find out what's actually been done to it.

Last edited by cre8fun; 03-15-2016 at 07:03 PM. Reason: repeated picts
Old 03-16-2016, 12:22 AM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm in DFW and spend a fair amount of time at the tracks but am not familiar with this one. If you are considering it, I would hire Louis Gigliotti at GSPEED or the guys at 21st Century Motorsports to put it up on a lift and take a look. They could tell you pretty quick what you have. The corrosion isn't a good sign though. I would check all the ball joints and CV boots for damage, also look for corrosion on the grounding points of the wire system. Corrosion of the wiring system can cause a lot of electrical gremlins.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:06 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Received 852 Likes on 410 Posts

That car appears to be an old Don Barnes/ texas Driving experience car. It was setup with a fair amount of nice parts, but it was a school car, so always being run.

Depending on cost, it would be a nice car that you would need to sink some money into initially, to make it reliable/fix the neglected areas.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:47 AM
cre8fun
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

perfect. great forum. that's exactly what I was looking for. I was hoping I would find an owner who ran it on the track and I could find out how it was prepared and more importantly how it was maintained. in this case, I agree, it has some nice components, but the 36K on the clock is likely all school miles and I'm going to guess it will need a good bit of attention to bring the maintenance up to snuff. not the end of the earth but Im not really looking for a project. I will pass on this one.

thanks for the input. I did a search and found this site: http://www.turbolubricants.com/testimonialcorvette.html and the car looks almost exactly the same. the current owner did tell me that the car has paint issues where there used to be other graphics on the car. likely the graphics shown in the Don Barnes picture.

Originally Posted by GSpeed
That car appears to be an old Don Barnes/ texas Driving experience car. It was setup with a fair amount of nice parts, but it was a school car, so always being run.

Depending on cost, it would be a nice car that you would need to sink some money into initially, to make it reliable/fix the neglected areas.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone know this car?

Quick Reply: Anyone know this car?