Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LG Removable Tow Hook Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 09:39 PM
Deuce Man
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LG Removable Tow Hook Install

I am posting this here even thought I already posted elsewhere because I thought it was better in this section than the C6 tech/performance section it was in. Here is a link to the original thread which has some more thorough install instructions, but my additional feedback is included below

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...k-install.html

First, I'll start with the rant.....so I bought the front and rear LG tow hooks because I wanted something that I could remove when not at the track. The front tow hook arrived without the long bolts that go into the bottom and all the way through like everyone else, they only arrived with 4 short bolts, so I used those. The rear didn't come with any hardware to install, just the tow hook itself. I have to believe hat you need longer hardware that what is used on the exhaust hanger since you are adding 1/4" of steel.

Also, after installed like shown on this thread, and "using one of the existing frame bolts" as LG stated in the directions on this forum the grill horizontal and vertical members interfered with the hook once installed. DO NOT USE ONE OF THE EXISTING FRAME BOLTS AS LG STATED. Bad idea. I still can't believe a $225 tow hook has no instructions (or the right hardware).....end of rant.

So, the mistake I made was installing on the driver side vs. the passenger side. Believe it or not, the stock GM grill actually has a removable piece on the passenger side, which looks like it was designed to accommodate a tow hook. Go figure that no matter where I read no one ever mentioned this. I started out installing on the driver side and once installed found out that was a bad idea. For the record, this thing is a complete b*tch to install. Reach the bolts inside the bumper to tighter is near impossible and requires patience and creativity. When trying to reinstall the per, I found the mystical removable piece in the grill. I was rather discouraged when I found out I had to take the hook off and reinstall on the other side...so I gave up for the day, slept, and woke up this morning to start it all over. I installed on the passenger side and removed the litter removable piece on the grill. I have an 07 stock w/ Z51 and it as on my grill. My buddies stock 05 base model also had the removable piece. (How have I never seen anyone mention this before....). Anyways pics below show how I installed and shows the removable piece as well. Do not make the same mistake I did, install on the passenger side. The only saving grace in this install was that I was installing a Z06 oil cooler on at the same time, so with the front bumper off access to the shroud was easy, making the tow hook install a little easier.
Attached Images    
Old 03-28-2016, 12:45 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

We have been trying to move everything online for instructions so it is easier to update them, people can see it before they buy, and also for those that buy our items used still have access to them.

https://www.lgmotorsports.com/instal...-instructions/

For the bolts, I believe we have switched to using short bolts in all locations so it was less confusing and will hold the same.

I do believe you can mount it on either side of the grill work but it seemed most liked having it on the driver side. I will make some changes as to showing the passenger side and removable grill piece too.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:34 AM
7SECONDS
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I ordered the LG Motorsports Front Tow Hook for my 2011 C6 Corvette and was not impressed with the quality. First off their were no instructions included or online at LG Motorsports.Two corugated metal pieces that GM engineered into the safety of the vehicle must be removed for installation. Also the vertical bolts are 3/8" but the Tow Hook is drilled for 5/16" so I had to open up the holes on the product with no instructions. The Eye Bolt is made very generic and should include the Premium Tow Hook for the high price of this product. Basically the Tow Hook Instructions, Quality, Fit and Finish are not worth the $239.00
Old 08-04-2021, 07:50 AM
MarkAVette
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a C6 Grand Sport with a different grill. I put it on the drivers side thinking I may use it for winching onto a trailer if I ever get a winch (drive it up now but kind of tight with wide body). My thought that I may have to adjust steering as it is going up so would be on that side and could better see the winch. It is a difficult install but it's been on for awhile and I feel better about having it if I need a tow on track. The Grand Sport has a different grill without that removeable piece so that is not a factor but I had to trim some foam from the bumper on the driver side and realized that the passenger side already had it trimmed from the factory on the passenger side. Overall, the passenger side would be easier if you don't have a reason for wanting it on the driver side. I don't know about the Z06 but would assume it is similar to GS.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:56 PM
jw1
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkAVette
I have a C6 Grand Sport with a different grill. I put it on the drivers side thinking I may use it for winching onto a trailer if I ever get a winch (drive it up now but kind of tight with wide body). My thought that I may have to adjust steering as it is going up so would be on that side and could better see the winch. It is a difficult install but it's been on for awhile and I feel better about having it if I need a tow on track. The Grand Sport has a different grill without that removeable piece so that is not a factor but I had to trim some foam from the bumper on the driver side and realized that the passenger side already had it trimmed from the factory on the passenger side. Overall, the passenger side would be easier if you don't have a reason for wanting it on the driver side. I don't know about the Z06 but would assume it is similar to GS.
I use the LG tow hook on my 2011 GS and use it for winching onto the trailer. I am very happy with it.

Get notified of new replies

To LG Removable Tow Hook Install

Quick Reply: LG Removable Tow Hook Install