Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front splitter & sideplate aerodynamic questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 04:51 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Default Front splitter & sideplate aerodynamic questions

Had a couple of aero questions for someone with a better grasp of fluid dynamics and CFD than me.

Have a decent understanding of normal aero principles in relation to sideplates and blended winglets on wings, However?

Splitter side plate / end plate design;

Below is a photo of a splitter side plate on a Pratt & Miller Pirelli World Challenge Cadillac ATS-V.R.
Note the square cut chopped rear edge of the sideplates? I am thinking its to stimulate vortex flow outside the wheelwell for air evacuation - drag reduction??

Also on the C7Z and a few other cars the splitter is cut away IE has a shorter extension in front of the radiator opening? Seems like its loosing efficiency where its needed most?

<br >

<br >

Last edited by blkbrd69; 03-27-2016 at 04:58 PM. Reason: photo
Old 03-28-2016, 04:23 AM
dizzy8085
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel it's tough to guess with this stuff and every car is different. I really want learn cfd at some point to be able to at least model it.

I would guess any street car with a recessed front area is for ground clearance.

ACR is that way, but is supplied with the extension that makes it equal length.

Those world challenge and imsa cars have to fit into a ruleset, which breeds a lot of funky stuff. As I understand it, they can't run huge time attack splitters.

If you want front downforce without being able to do any testing. Just run a big front splitter.

I've seen some crazy large time attack splitters and they set some very real lap times.

For what it's worth. At the NASA season opener here in Houston, a guy set the tt3 record by a few seconds with a wing on the front of the car!
Old 03-28-2016, 10:15 AM
johnny c
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

i was reading about those. Prat and miller said it aided in aerodynamics along the side of the car. not really sure how, we would need a wind tunnel to find out how effective it is.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:13 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Definitely a vortex generator - what it does exactly is up for speculation but Id guess it helps block outside air along the side of the car to either aid in wheelhouse air extraction or prevent air spillage under the car.

The cutout in the C7 street car's splitter is supposedly done to meet some stupid pedestrian laws in europe.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:49 PM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

I know a guy with a great deal on a new lg splitter!
Old 04-01-2016, 10:21 AM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny C @ OG
i was reading about those. Prat and miller said it aided in aerodynamics along the side of the car. not really sure how, we would need a wind tunnel to find out how effective it is.
Why couldn't CFD tell us?
Old 04-01-2016, 10:30 AM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by UrbanKnight
I know a guy with a great deal on a new lg splitter!
Yours is a work of art, LG does the research and makes quality parts.

I am in the process of getting ready to lay up a new splitter now w a kevlar or hybrid bottom, honeycomb center and carbon 12k tow top.

Thinking for all the work I may have a bit of style as well as function.

Trying to work out side plate & support rod options.

That wing is sitting in the closet waiting for more splitter on the front.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:08 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Are you making a flat one or one like the Blackdog diffuser/splitter
https://www.blackdogspeedshop.com/pr...ray-race-only/
Old 04-02-2016, 02:53 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by blkbrd69
Had a couple of aero questions for someone with a better grasp of fluid dynamics and CFD than me.

Have a decent understanding of normal aero principles in relation to sideplates and blended winglets on wings, However?

Splitter side plate / end plate design;

Below is a photo of a splitter side plate on a Pratt & Miller Pirelli World Challenge Cadillac ATS-V.R.
Note the square cut chopped rear edge of the sideplates? I am thinking its to stimulate vortex flow outside the wheelwell for air evacuation - drag reduction??

Also on the C7Z and a few other cars the splitter is cut away IE has a shorter extension in front of the radiator opening? Seems like its loosing efficiency where its needed most?

<br >

<br >

Remember when looking at Pro level race cars, they have rules that need to be met for the cars to run. That being said I have not looked at the current Tudor rules but it might say something to the effect of following the body lines or not exceeding a certain length either overall or at certain points.

The dive planes can be done for a few reasons, as I have been told the double element setup is done for downforce and also to create a vacuum on the back side to draw air out from the wheel house. The end cap might be used to channel air through it, and then open it on the back side, but probably done more to help in aiding the lower plane than anything. Like a tunnel in the splitter. Without having it in the tunnel, it would be hard to say.

Get notified of new replies

To Front splitter & sideplate aerodynamic questions

Quick Reply: Front splitter & sideplate aerodynamic questions