Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Toe Links (Tie Rods)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 05:55 PM
ZZebes
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Rear Toe Links (Tie Rods)

I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death but I can't seem to find the answer i'm looking for and I'm about to just try the parts and try.

So the part number for the rear inner tie rod (88955489) is harder than hell to find apparently and from what my local dealer tells me they are not available at the moment. Now I did some sleuthing and stumbled across the C6 tie rod (88955490) which utilizes the same outer tie rod (88955488) as the C5

The round about question is does this inner tie rod fit the C5 or is there an insurmountable difference in either the length of the rod or mounting provisions? I Imagine it can't be to great considering all of the rear bumpsteer kits that replace the whole link seem to be 97-13
Old 03-30-2016, 11:27 AM
RJonesC5Z
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like GM parts has it.
http://www.gmpartspros.net/oe-gm/889...FYU2aQodHKEBjA
Old 03-30-2016, 11:49 AM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Same with GM Parts Giant

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm...900cd7f272e4ed
Old 03-31-2016, 07:29 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,278 Likes on 923 Posts

Order one and let us know lol
Old 04-06-2016, 03:08 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
Order one and let us know lol
No, the C6 inner rod is round and the C5 is squared off. I don't think the C6 will fit into the C5. However I sell our kit SU-1033 and you would never have to worry about it going bad again.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:36 AM
Lindberg1926
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88955489 C5 Corvette Rear Toe Link

I experienced the same issue as other's have. However, you may want to check OEM Parts Quick. I was wary of using GM PN 88955490 in lieu of 88955489 give some changes in the other details from C5 to C6. I found and placed orders for 2 each 88955489 at $127.00 w/shipping out of GM warehouse in Athens OH. Delivery date is March 15, 2021. The picture is incorrect: It depicts a steel type sway bar link. However, description is as follows:
Spare Part Information
This part is a link kit, rear suspension adjust, for Chevrolet cars. It fits for Chevrolet Corvette for the U.S. from 1997 to 2004. It's a genuine General Motors merchendise product with an OEM part number 88955489.
A sway bar link has no adjustment, therefor the picture is incorrect as PN and item description are same.
I hope this helps those of whom have been searching for an answer to this issue.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:34 PM
Tim Dorsch
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I had the same issue a few years ago, bought them from ZIP, DONE !
Old 06-07-2021, 05:35 PM
DetailDave
Cruising

Originally Posted by ZZebes
I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death but I can't seem to find the answer i'm looking for and I'm about to just try the parts and try.

So the part number for the rear inner tie rod (88955489) is harder than hell to find apparently and from what my local dealer tells me they are not available at the moment. Now I did some sleuthing and stumbled across the C6 tie rod (88955490) which utilizes the same outer tie rod (88955488) as the C5

The round about question is does this inner tie rod fit the C5 or is there an insurmountable difference in either the length of the rod or mounting provisions? I Imagine it can't be to great considering all of the rear bumpsteer kits that replace the whole link seem to be 97-13
I have a 1998 C5 and the same question you raised about the universal unavailability of GM #88955489 inner tie rod end. Does anyone know what are all of the features, dimensions and characteristics of this part that make it so unique as to be discontinued from production with no service replacement? I am aware of the available aftermarket bump steer kits which utilize heim joints (without weather protection boots), but this seems an over the top approach for me since I am not using this car for track events. I'm just wondering if a competent fab shop could successfully modify a similar OE production tie rod part, such as the C6 #88955490 you identified. There are other tie rod ends which look similar too (e.g. Moog ES-3488), and I'm just curious to explore options for something viable which is close to the OEM type and function. Discontinued parts are sure frustrating, but I believe there must be a way back to a stock solution. Any help from the community would sure be appreciated!
Old 06-07-2021, 05:50 PM
DetailDave
Cruising

Originally Posted by Lindberg1926
I experienced the same issue as other's have. However, you may want to check OEM Parts Quick. I was wary of using GM PN 88955490 in lieu of 88955489 give some changes in the other details from C5 to C6. I found and placed orders for 2 each 88955489 at $127.00 w/shipping out of GM warehouse in Athens OH. Delivery date is March 15, 2021. The picture is incorrect: It depicts a steel type sway bar link. However, description is as follows:
Spare Part Information
This part is a link kit, rear suspension adjust, for Chevrolet cars. It fits for Chevrolet Corvette for the U.S. from 1997 to 2004. It's a genuine General Motors merchendise product with an OEM part number 88955489.
A sway bar link has no adjustment, therefor the picture is incorrect as PN and item description are same.
I hope this helps those of whom have been searching for an answer to this issue.
I have a 1998 C5, I'm pursuing GM #88955489 inner tie rod ends. It's no longer available anywhere, not even at the OEM Parts Quick source you identified. I'll ask the same question I posted to another member... Does anyone know what are all of the features, dimensions and characteristics of this part that make it so unique as to be discontinued from production with no service replacement? I am aware of the available aftermarket bump steer kits which utilize heim joints (without weather protection boots), but this seems an over the top approach for me since I am not using this car for track events. I'm just wondering if a competent fab shop could successfully modify a similar OE production tie rod part, such as the C6 #88955490 identified by another member. There are other tie rod ends which look similar too (e.g. Moog ES-3488), and I'm just curious to explore options for something viable which is close to the OEM type and function. As a person who is retired from the OE automotive industry as a parts supplier, I was always frustrated by the process of discontinuing production parts without making provision for a service replacement. And here I am now, one of the unfortunate consumers who can't service their vehicle with correct OE parts.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:31 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I have a c5 rear cradle with the rods still on it behind my shop, I'll try and remember to get some detailed photos and dimension
Old 06-10-2021, 10:14 AM
DetailDave
Cruising

Thank you for your reply! Any information will help and be much appreciated. I have been reluctant to disassemble the rear tie rods during the driving season, knowing the availability problem with stock replacement parts could cause the car to be down for quite awhile. My hope was to find enough information online from suppliers and the Forum to develop a game plan for possibly fabricating or modifying what I will need.Thank you again very much!

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Toe Links (Tie Rods)

Quick Reply: Rear Toe Links (Tie Rods)