Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modest C5 Brake Rotor/Pad Upgrade for National Solo Competition and HPDEs

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 10:27 AM
Ramo7769
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Modest C5 Brake Rotor/Pad Upgrade for National Solo Competition and HPDEs

I'm thinking about just doing Centric high carbon rotors or Centric high carbon cryo-treated rotors. The upper end of the pricing is $99/piece from Tire Rack. I'm wondering if anyone has impressions of these and if they are worth it over $40 AC Delco blanks from Rock Auto.

I primarily autocross, but typically will do 1-2 track days per year for tuning and general hoonery. Last year, I had a rotor crack on me from just one day, 4 sessions on Grattan. If I could get rotors that could last through the year, that would be great.

I should also mention I have been swapping between HPS and DTC-60s for autocross and track work. I'd like to try the Hawk Street/Race pads as a do-all pad with some compromise to track performance which I am totally okay with. Looking for optimal solo performance and passable track performance.

I should add that I'll be running Bridgestone RE-71Rs and perhaps Hankook RS3s. Not messing with slicks currently.

Last edited by Ramo7769; 04-20-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:35 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

The new KNS/DBA rotors look like the best option for a budget blank rotor for C5s these days. If they last like the Brembo XLR blanks did, they'll be perfect for you.
The following users liked this post:
Ramo7769 (04-20-2016)
Old 04-21-2016, 09:23 AM
Ramo7769
Racer

Originally Posted by Scooter70
The new KNS/DBA rotors look like the best option for a budget blank rotor for C5s these days. If they last like the Brembo XLR blanks did, they'll be perfect for you.
Thanks for that. Those look like a good candidate. At about $70/front rotor, they are about the same price as the Centric high carbon. I may go with Centrics just because a Motovicity guy I know will probably get me a good deal on them along with some Hawk Street/Race pads. They don't carry DBA.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:52 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 315 Likes on 270 Posts

A good compromise pad would be Hawk HP+ or DTC 30 they are good from 100C to 800 or 900C, but dusty. A long time ago I learned from Danny Kellermeyer than rotors are a disposable item like brake pads. They wont last forever and the harder you use them the faster they wear. Danny is a good source for pads by the way.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:53 AM
loudes13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sure others will chime in, but I'm more concerned about the the dual compound pads. It is my opinion that anything that will work worth a darn dealing with the high temps on track will eat the rotor some while cold. Some new pads transfer film during bedding, but cold temps eat that film off.

Personally I have run Carbotech XP10's on the street, ax, and track without changing, but know that they are dusty and probably need to be rebedded the first session of a track weekend. Will that work for you, maybe, but maybe not.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:12 AM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

I'v been using the Hawk St/race pads, and they are a fair compromise. Great bit and modulation, Not to noisy on the street, brake dust is a given. Centric high carbon cryo-treated rotors.

Note though; After a single track day, I'v only have half pad contact in street driving. I'm sure it's the caliper fault. They took enough heat that the sound deadener melted out both front an rear...with very little fade and when hot there was a little vibration.

Mark.
Ramo7769 (04-21-2016)
Old 04-21-2016, 10:58 AM
Ramo7769
Racer

Originally Posted by Moto One
I'v been using the Hawk St/race pads, and they are a fair compromise. Great bit and modulation, Not to noisy on the street, brake dust is a given. Centric high carbon cryo-treated rotors.

Note though; After a single track day, I'v only have half pad contact in street driving. I'm sure it's the caliper fault. They took enough heat that the sound deadener melted out both front an rear...with very little fade and when hot there was a little vibration.

Mark.
Nice, cool to hear from someone who has used these specific pads. I think I'm going to order them up.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:39 AM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordy M
A good compromise pad would be Hawk HP+ or DTC 30 they are good from 100C to 800 or 900C, but dusty. A long time ago I learned from Danny Kellermeyer than rotors are a disposable item like brake pads. They wont last forever and the harder you use them the faster they wear. Danny is a good source for pads by the way.

Danny has done more brake testing than anyone I know and he's my go to for braking questions. I've talked to him at great lengths about these pads specifically.

I live right down the road from Milford and have a guy that's a motovicity distributor as well.

Per Danny, the DBA is a good rotor and is quite good at dissipating heat but that primarily due to the mass. They are about 3 lbs heavier per rotor. Not great for speed but they are durable. He's using a two piece now and I'll ask him what they are because he does interchange the rings and he's said it's reasonably economical.

I use DTC 60's for tracking. I'm going to the NCM track next week and have the car setup with them now. Use good brake fluid. AP600, Motul 600, and Wilwood 600 have a dry boiling point around 594 F and this is a great defense against fade and is a DOT 4 fluid that is compatible with most non silicone fluids.

Grattan has some demanding braking zones so if it were me, I'd stay with the 60's there but outside of a few big tracks, I'll be using the 30's for auto crossing, daily driving and short time trial runs on course like the 4th of July Waterford Hills time trials that CCM does.

All that said, spring mountain uses HPS pads on their C7 and driven properly, they can work and last an entire session without too many issues.

I'm just using stock Rassini rotors on my C7 as the AP J hooks are awesome but they're about $2800 for a set.

What local events do you attend?

Last edited by AUTO_X_AL; 04-22-2016 at 09:37 AM.
Ramo7769 (04-22-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 09:49 AM
Ramo7769
Racer

Originally Posted by AUTO_X_AL

Danny has done more brake testing than anyone I know and he's my go to for braking questions. I've talked to him at great lengths about these pads specifically.

I live right down the road from Milford and have a guy that's a motovicity distributor as well.

Per Danny, the DBA is a good rotor and is quite good at dissipating heat but that primarily due to the mass. They are about 3 lbs heavier per rotor. Not great for speed but they are durable. He's using a two piece now and I'll ask him what they are because he does interchange the rings and he's said it's reasonably economical.

I use DTC 60's for tracking. I'm going to the NCM track next week and have the car setup with them now. Use good brake fluid. AP600, Motul 600, and Wilwood 600 have a dry boiling point around 594 F and this is a great defense against fade and is a DOT 4 fluid that is compatible with most non silicone fluids.

Grattan has some demanding braking zones so if it were me, I'd stay with the 60's there but outside of a few big tracks, I'll be using the 30's for auto crossing, daily driving and short time trial runs on course like the 4th of July Waterford Hills time trials that CCM does.

All that said, spring mountain uses HPS pads on their C7 and driven properly, they can work and last an entire session without too many issues.

I'm just using stock Rassini rotors on my C7 as the AP J hooks are awesome but they're about $2800 for a set.

What local events do you attend?
Thank you for your input. The fact that the DBA rotors are heavier, which I did not at first realize, steers me away from them. This is an autocross car first and foremost. I will try the high carbon Carbotechs (125s). Do you have an opinion on cryo treatment for resistance to thermal fatigue? I'm not sure how effective it is. But it's an extra $25/piece as an option.

I do some Detroit region solo events and NWOR events at the Toledo Express Airport.

I think for track work I'm going to stick around Waterford Hills this year. Little easier on brakes. And I know it well, so it's a good place to tune for me.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:39 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

If you want a pad that is good for Auto X I would use the Carbotech AX6 and for a track day I would just get a set of XP10 on the front and you will be good to go or another option would be to run XP8 for Auto X and track front and rear those will work as well.

Carbotech™ AX6™

The AX6™ is specifically engineered for Autocross applications. A high torque brake compound delivering reliable and consistent performance over a very wide operating temperature range of 50°F to 1000°F + (10°C to 537°C+). The advanced compound matrix provides an excellent initial bite, high coefficient of friction at lower temperatures along with very progressive brake modulation and release characteristics. Many drivers use the AX6™ for street driving as well, even though Carbotech™ doesn't recommend street driving with AX6™ due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise. AX6™ is NOT recommended as a race compound in most applications.

Carbotech™ XP8™

A high torque brake compound with a wide operating temperature range of 200°F-1250°F+ (93°C to 676°C+). Carbotech™ XP8™ is the first of our racing compounds. Good initial bite at race temperatures, high coefficient of friction, excellent modulation and release characteristics. Extremely high fade resistance and very rotor friendly. Perfect for track day use with any tire and can still be driven safely to and from the track. Carbotech™ does NOT recommended XP8™ as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise. Carbotech™ XP8™ is a great compound on the front & rear of most open wheel and sports racers.

Carbotech™ XP10™

When Carbotech™ unleashed the XP10™ to the general public it immediately gathered multiple regional, divisional, and national championships. The XP10™ has a very strong initial bite with a coefficient of friction and rotor friendliness unmatched in the industry. Fade resistance is in excess of 1475°F (801°C). XP10™ still maintains the highly praised release, excellent modulation and rotor friendliness that have made all Carbotech™ compounds so successful. Carbotech™ XP10™ is not recommended as a daily-driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 04-22-2016, 12:31 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramo7769
Thank you for your input. The fact that the DBA rotors are heavier, which I did not at first realize, steers me away from them. This is an autocross car first and foremost. I will try the high carbon Carbotechs (125s). Do you have an opinion on cryo treatment for resistance to thermal fatigue? I'm not sure how effective it is. But it's an extra $25/piece as an option.

I do some Detroit region solo events and NWOR events at the Toledo Express Airport.

I think for track work I'm going to stick around Waterford Hills this year. Little easier on brakes. And I know it well, so it's a good place to tune for me.
I ran through two sets of DBA 4000's on my track Mustang and then tried the Centric High Carbons just to see if there was a difference in longevity. The Centric High Carbons seemed to last just long. I called the Stop Tech / Centric tech line and the guy there was very well informed and very helpful. I'd give him a call...IIRC, he told me that the cryo treating was not really going to help with what I was doing and to save my money (or I would have bought them). I was able to get 9 track days out of each front set of the DBA 4000's before they'd get a terminal crack. I had about 6 track days on the Centrics and they pretty much looked like the DBA's did with that much track time. I sold the car and the new owner has done two additional track days and still is running them. I would definitely buy the Centric high carbons again.

On an autocross car, I don't think you'll have any issues with rotors wearing out for a very long time due to the lower speeds and much less thermal abuse.

I'd suggest the Carbo Tech pads listed in the post above....I used the XP10's for the track but for Autocross the AX6's probably will work better at the lower thermal temps you'll be running.
Ramo7769 (04-22-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 10:47 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Centric high carbon are worth the money, my first set was run at Barber for 4.5 hours of track time and have zero cracks or heat checks.

I bought them from Autoanything for $220 shipped all 4.

Get notified of new replies

To Modest C5 Brake Rotor/Pad Upgrade for National Solo Competition and HPDEs

Quick Reply: Modest C5 Brake Rotor/Pad Upgrade for National Solo Competition and HPDEs