Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost a pad pin at Sebring Sunday

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 10:42 PM
speedwaywhite
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Lost a pad pin at Sebring Sunday

13 GS, spit out a pad pin yesterday.
Has anybody found a cure for this issue? I know BBK is the way to go but not feasible for me at this time.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:44 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

The only thing I can think of is using some aluminized (shiny) duct tape over the pins to keep them from turning. Take a strip of it and run it along the caliper covering the pins like you do the wheel weights on your wheels.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
speedwaywhite (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 12:28 PM
Screamin Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Stock caliper I take it? Had that happen a few times. Took all the pins out and put red locktight on the threads. No problem after. Mark the bolt head and caliper for an easy visual inspection to check if they are backing out.

The heat will make the stock locktight fail and bolts will back out.
speedwaywhite (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 08:53 PM
speedwaywhite
Pro

Originally Posted by Screamin Z
Stock caliper I take it? Had that happen a few times. Took all the pins out and put red locktight on the threads. No problem after. Mark the bolt head and caliper for an easy visual inspection to check if they are backing out.

The heat will make the stock locktight fail and bolts will back out.
Thanks for the reply and good idea! Yes, stock calipers (not the greatest design to be sure). I hadn't considered using locktight, assumed it wouldn't stand the heat. Are you using stock pins? I have be using after market pins with 10mm hex, I found the stock torx head pins to be tedious. Do you think pins should be replaced periodically? I have 18 track days on the pins in use now.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:08 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

Never removed any of mine. Always change pads by removing the caliper. After 60,000 miles and 40+ track days they are sufficiently seized.
speedwaywhite (04-28-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 11:18 PM
Screamin Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by speedwaywhite
Thanks for the reply and good idea! Yes, stock calipers (not the greatest design to be sure). I hadn't considered using locktight, assumed it wouldn't stand the heat. Are you using stock pins? I have be using after market pins with 10mm hex, I found the stock torx head pins to be tedious. Do you think pins should be replaced periodically? I have 18 track days on the pins in use now.
Red locktight will handle it. Blue locktight won't. Always used stock pins. Only time I replaced the pins is when they fell out.

Whenever you get the opportunity or want to, upgrade to a BBK. Money well worth it if your going to track the car for a while.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:07 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

<br >You are lucky it didn't get into your wheel spokes. Found out the hard way on C6Z wheels they hit the spokes when they back out.

I used blue locktite and tightened the crud out of them warm. They will need replacement when the bearing surface wears out.

Check your transfer tube is tight when hot while your at it, had one of mine loosen up and got fluid everywhere. <br >

Last edited by blkbrd69; 04-27-2016 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:43 AM
speedwaywhite
Pro

Originally Posted by Lawdogg
Never removed any of mine. Always change pads by removing the caliper. After 60,000 miles and 40+ track days they are sufficiently seized.
I usually leave mine in as well, I am running one piece Carbotech on the street and Cobalt X2/DBA4000 for track duty. I do torque them after each brake change.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:46 AM
speedwaywhite
Pro

Originally Posted by Screamin Z
Red locktight will handle it. Blue locktight won't. Always used stock pins. Only time I replaced the pins is when they fell out.

Whenever you get the opportunity or want to, upgrade to a BBK. Money well worth it if your going to track the car for a while.
I agree on the BBK.
I am considering a C7 GS, waiting for pricing an availability on the new model before I spring for a BBK kit.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:53 AM
speedwaywhite
Pro

Originally Posted by blkbrd69
<br >You are lucky it didn't get into your wheel spokes. Found out the hard way on C6Z wheels they hit the spokes when they back out.

I used blue locktite and tightened the crud out of them warm. They will need replacement when the bearing surface wears out.

Check your transfer tube is tight when hot while your at it, had one of mine loosen up and got fluid everywhere. <br >
I was lucky it could have been much more serious, pin cut a notch in each spoke by the pin. Wheel is junk now.
I will try the red locktite ands also mark the head so I can see movement. I have had 2 of these calipers replaced under warranty for leaking bleeder screw so, I can relate to the mess it makes.

Get notified of new replies

To Lost a pad pin at Sebring Sunday

Quick Reply: Lost a pad pin at Sebring Sunday