Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raybestos compound similar to Wilwood B?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 08:42 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Raybestos compound similar to Wilwood B?

Is there a Raybestos compound similar to the Wilwood B compound that comes in the C5/C6 rear pad plate?

Im asking because wilwood outsources their stuff from raybestos and currently wilwood doesnt sell the B pad in the C5/C6 shape.
I have a set of B pads for the front of my car and would like to find something close enough in mu for the rear.

Thanks!

Old 05-18-2016, 09:03 AM
tmtraylor
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by el es tu
Is there a Raybestos compound similar to the Wilwood B compound that comes in the C5/C6 rear pad plate?

Im asking because wilwood outsources their stuff from raybestos and currently wilwood doesnt sell the B pad in the C5/C6 shape.
I have a set of B pads for the front of my car and would like to find something close enough in mu for the rear.

Thanks!

Can't directly answer your question, but maybe through the transitive property I can get you close;-) I found the Raybestos ST43 similar to Hawk DTC 60 (the raybestos lasts longer and is easier to modulate in my opinion)... I understand the Raybestos ST47 is similar to Hawk DTC70. If you can match up your Wilwood to Hawk, maybe that helps???

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
el es tu (05-18-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 10:05 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Interesting find:

Raybestos has been making brake pads for over 100 years. They have proven themselves as a top brake pad manufacturer for both street and racing brake pads. Their street pads have been readily available for years, and now so will their race pads. Raybestos racing brake pads will now be available at Livermore Performance Inc.

ST38 - "B" slightly lower mu than ST42. Wear still not as good as ST41. Good performance over broad temperature range with minimal rotor wear. Successful in a broad range of racing series. Use in dirt where you want less bite than ST41/ST43.

ST41 - "A" the best high energy input racing material available. Extremely successful in all the top three NASCAR series Raced by the 2002 NASCAR Champion Tony Stewart. Maintains high mu level at extremely high temperatures without sacrificing good wear - both pad and rotor. Needs some heat to work well.

ST42 - "J" lower mu than ST41 and ST43. Extremely stable average and in stop output over a wide temperature range. Has been very successful when used on the rear in conjunction with 41 on the front. Best high-temperature wear of all their materials.

ST43 - Friction level and wear rate between ST41 and ST42. Stability is not quite as good as 42 but better than 41. Excellent open wheel formula.

ST44 - High friction material slightly less aggressive than ST41
From the forums it seems the ST-43 could be the H compound

wilwood pad comparison

Last edited by el es tu; 05-19-2016 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:10 AM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

I know, but sworn to secrecy. Call Porterfield Enterprises and tell them what you're after. They used to bond Raybestos materials and may have the rear plates (I'd bet) and "get you close" based on what they offer.
el es tu (05-18-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 10:30 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

So porterfield sells the 41 43 45 and 47 in the rear plate but not the 38...

I have E pads for the rear (as well as some used HP+) but after discussing with another forum member Im hesitant about running B/E with the current 12" rear rotor setup considering im going to a 14" up front from the original 12.8". The new calipers will be roughly the same piston area up front (only 1% difference)...

keep in mind im starting with base brakes that have a 1.6 front to rear bias just based on piston area, and the Z51 Model is closer to 1.9. My suspension is a z51 balance leaning setup, so maybe the staggering of pads wont be too bad... any thoughts?

Last edited by el es tu; 05-18-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:35 AM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

E will be 'ok' for a bit if you can keep the temps down, it's shortcoming will be prolonged heat. Recovery is ok if you overheat it and feel it soon enough. Start to smear it and you'll have to clean up the rotors.
el es tu (05-18-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Raybestos compound similar to Wilwood B?

Quick Reply: Raybestos compound similar to Wilwood B?