Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer Power: Let's See Your Setups

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 12:33 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Trailer Power: Let's See Your Setups

I've got a 12k winch in my 24' enclosed, going to permanently add a deep cycle battery and also want to grab an inverter and some lights. Just curious to see what others have done.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:16 AM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

Got a new truck & trailer coming

Trying to convince Crew Chief to put photo of Hubbell Bubbles on it
Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2016, 08:25 PM
carefulnow
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Well that's the end of this thread.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:25 PM
TRAKOUT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mjolitor 68
Got a new truck & trailer coming

Trying to convince Crew Chief to put photo of Hubbell Bubbles on it

Here's a picture of Williams DP

Last edited by TRAKOUT; 05-23-2016 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:54 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I run a deep cycle battery to the winch in my enclosed. I also have a solar panel that I place on top of the trailer with a quick disconnect to charge the winch battery between track weekends.

As far as power at the track, we have Honda 2000i and a Honda 2000i Companion generators. Chained together, you can have 4000W at 30Amps (26.6). Very quiet, very reliable, gas sippers.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:35 AM
Larry Myers
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKOUT

Here's a picture of Williams DP
At least one two bagger here.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:51 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
I run a deep cycle battery to the winch in my enclosed. I also have a solar panel that I place on top of the trailer with a quick disconnect to charge the winch battery between track weekends.

As far as power at the track, we have Honda 2000i and a Honda 2000i Companion generators. Chained together, you can have 4000W at 30Amps (26.6). Very quiet, very reliable, gas sippers.
I like the solar panel idea, what does it put out? I do like those Honda generators, we have them at work and even the 3k is pretty quiet (inverter type). I got to looking at inverters and you can spend from $50 to $800 if you like for the same power rating. There's about a million different brands, not sure which ones that I've never heard of are any good.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:59 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
I like the solar panel idea, what does it put out? I do like those Honda generators, we have them at work and even the 3k is pretty quiet (inverter type). I got to looking at inverters and you can spend from $50 to $800 if you like for the same power rating. There's about a million different brands, not sure which ones that I've never heard of are any good.
I purchased it from Tractor Supply, but you can get them anywhere. Coleman 10W Trickle Charge solar panel.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...r?cm_vc=IOPDP1

Look at Northern Tool for the Hondas. Their prices are pretty much on par with anywhere else, but they offer free drop shipping to your door. AND, if you search for Northern Tool discount codes online, you can save an easy 5%. Make it two orders, so you can save on each.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:47 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I haven't added a winch yet to my open trailer but when I do I think I'm going to run a harness with quick connects from truck battery to rear so I can just plug the winch into and not worry about a battery.

something like this ... https://www.etrailer.com/p-sw2008.html
Old 05-28-2016, 02:42 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
I haven't added a winch yet to my open trailer but when I do I think I'm going to run a harness with quick connects from truck battery to rear so I can just plug the winch into and not worry about a battery.

something like this ... https://www.etrailer.com/p-sw2008.html
That is what I did for the winch on my enclosed trailer. It works great and there isn't another battery to worry about.

Charley
Old 05-31-2016, 11:17 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

I want the battery for more than just the winch. How are you guys charging the battery? Ideally, I'd like to have it charge only when the truck is running so that the trailer can't draw from the truck overnight. My only idea right now is to have the taillights trigger a relay that'd activate the charging circuit which would require headlights on any time the trailer is plugged in to charge. Has anyone else dreamed up something different and idiot proof?
Old 06-02-2016, 10:38 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I want the battery for more than just the winch. How are you guys charging the battery? Ideally, I'd like to have it charge only when the truck is running so that the trailer can't draw from the truck overnight. My only idea right now is to have the taillights trigger a relay that'd activate the charging circuit which would require headlights on any time the trailer is plugged in to charge. Has anyone else dreamed up something different and idiot proof?
I've never had any problems with having the trailer battery connected to the truck battery while the trailer is hitched up. Simplest thing would be to unplug the trailer overnight if that bothered you.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:29 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
Bingo.
This is, IMO, one of the best ways to power a mid-sized trailer.
I run the same Honda setup 2000i/2000 paralleled and they work great with my 24' enclosed running a 15k BTU AC unit, lighting, small compressor, etc. in the Florida heat. Best thing is that they weigh less than 50# each, so they can be parked in the generator cubby and easily moved to the garage. Also, if you don't need AC or any other high load items, you can run the 2000i for lights, fan, etc..

As far as the winch...the batteries seem to last a few years with connecting/disconnecting/charging via pulling the trailer.
S.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:37 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

My truck(s) (and I thought all newer trucks with tow package) are wired so that the trailer plug only charges the trailer battery while the engine is running. Once the key is turned off, it stops charging.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:51 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by redtopz
My truck(s) (and I thought all newer trucks with tow package) are wired so that the trailer plug only charges the trailer battery while the engine is running. Once the key is turned off, it stops charging.
My 2013 Silverado keeps the aux power line hot so the trailer battery is connected to the truck battery all the time. That is so you can run lights inside the trailer if you didn't have the trailer battery.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:40 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by naschmitz
My 2013 Silverado keeps the aux power line hot so the trailer battery is connected to the truck battery all the time. That is so you can run lights inside the trailer if you didn't have the trailer battery.
Interesting. So it could potentially drain your truck batteries if you keep the lights on the trailer. When I wired my trailer to be charged off the truck I used a volt meter to find the line on the circular plug and IIRC it only put out 12V when the key was on. 2013 Chevy truck. Maybe there are different lines to choose from, or my memory is off. It's been several years since I wired it...
Old 06-04-2016, 11:29 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Originally Posted by naschmitz
This is how mine is too, so maybe the answer here is a bigass relay at the front on the power wire since I won't need truck battery to run the trailer lights.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:13 PM
C5Z06CE
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

I have 2 power sources.

I use a portable DC battery jumper/starter that plugs into a wall outlet for charging to power my DC winch. I just plug it in to charge in the hotel the night before a track day. Helps on those rare occasions truck or car battery needs jumping too.

I then have a newly installed A/C unit that runs off a 50amp RV style plug though a circuit breaker that also powers a set of 4 three prong outlets in case I need AC power to run power tools.

At the track I use the DC battery to unload/load the car and then plug the RV style plug into power at the track. No need for a generator at Sebring to keep cool and use power tools.

Get notified of new replies

To Trailer Power: Let's See Your Setups

Quick Reply: Trailer Power: Let's See Your Setups