Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reman calipers

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 10:31 PM
thurman_merman
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Reman calipers

I'm looking at upgrading my base c4 brakes to the j55 option and I'm having trouble tracking down some calipers. Do any of you track guys use remanufactured calipers from places like rockauto or advance auto, Napa etc.? They run about the same price as used j55's in the classifieds even with the core charge. Are there any brands or places I should look out for? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:05 AM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Last time I used a re-manufactured caliper was on a beater 99 Pontiac. The surface that the banjo fitting bolted to was as cast and I had a hard time getting a seal with copper washer.

I would get some used J55 calipers and rebuild them with Doug Rippie stainless pistons. Call DRM ans see what they recommend. They used to sell the 96 Grand Sport calipers as an upgrade for C4 cars.

Are you going to track the car?
Old 05-28-2016, 12:20 PM
thurman_merman
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by UstaB-GS549
Last time I used a re-manufactured caliper was on a beater 99 Pontiac. The surface that the banjo fitting bolted to was as cast and I had a hard time getting a seal with copper washer.

I would get some used J55 calipers and rebuild them with Doug Rippie stainless pistons. Call DRM ans see what they recommend. They used to sell the 96 Grand Sport calipers as an upgrade for C4 cars.

Are you going to track the car?
I have been looking for a used set but I haven't found anything yet. I want to stay away from the GS calipers and painted sets because I want the stock appearance and that makes them a little harder to find. Yes, I want to put the car on the track and I already have a set of DRM pistons and acdelco rebuild kits because I was expecting to find some used ones. I not in any hurry to get them really so I can keep looking, I just want to explore all options.

After looking around only advance auto has front left and right remans with brackets ready to go, other places only have one or the other or have them without brackets. I would say if I couldn't get one to seal it's defective and I would return it. Worst case I have access to a mill and I could solve a small problem like that, I'm mainly wondering if some companies cast calipers with lower grade aluminum or something else that would make them not ideal for track use.

Get notified of new replies

To Reman calipers

Quick Reply: Reman calipers