Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPDE Tech Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 11:06 AM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default HPDE Tech Question

I have been instructing in my C5 Z06 for about 7 years now .... My daughter is now interested in doing a hyperdrive or a HPDE 1 session but i have been hesitant to get her started in the Z as it runs R6 tires ect. She drives an Audi TT roadster .... I sent an email to the regional tech guy as well as posted on the NASA forum if this would pass NASA tech but have not had a reply. The TT roadster has built in factory hoops behind the seats similar to a boxter .... TrackDaze said they would allow it through their tech but was hoping to get her in a NASA event / hyperdrive. So reaching out this community and see if you have any info on a TT Roadster passing tech at NASA
Old 05-29-2016, 11:23 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

I can only reply for SCCA but as long as they are not pop up hoops, they would pass in my tech line for Performance Driving Experience (HPDE).

Bill (SCCA Chief of Tech)
Old 05-29-2016, 11:36 AM
Kamran
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

On another topic, if tracking a TT (or Audi), first thing you might consider, replace the water pump with after market. TT's plastic impellers are well known for braking up and seizing the engine. Been there, done that and got mad because my "race shop owner/mechanic" knew all about it and didn't warn me. Audi didn't lift a finger to help. Their replacement pump was exactly the same part with the same cheap plastic impeller. I replaced mine with an aftermarket alloy impeller one. When the engine went south a second time, I dumped the car to a whole seller for way below wholesale. Personally, imho I would never track an Audi.

Last edited by Kamran; 05-29-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:08 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

hummm good tip I will have to look it up .... not wanting to track it much just was hoping a HPDE 1 session a couple times but the 1.8 is the same motor that is in the Golf also ... thought it was pretty durable

Last edited by RaleighSS; 05-29-2016 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:19 PM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

My son says his friends joke about deciding which Golf to take depending on who has the newest plastic water pump.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:52 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I think they used the same water pump in the Porsche. If the blades break up and get stuck in the coolant passages you've got a big problem.

So much for German engineering.

Richard Newton
Have You Run Out of Money Yet?

Last edited by rfn026; 05-29-2016 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:42 PM
Kamran
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Only GT3 now has alloy impellers. All German cars now competing for meeting the price points of the Far East.
I had an engine build list of all manufacturers, and saw that R8's engine $150K+ Audi is assembled/built in Hungry! That said it all for me...

Edit: here's an interactive map of where engines are built in Europe. Click on Gyro in Hungry;

http://www.acea.be/statistics/tag/ca...ion-plants-map

Also: http://www.ey.com/GL/en/Industries/A...ofile--Hungary

"Audi Hungaria owns one of the biggest engine production facilities in the world, which is located in Györ. In 2008, the Hungarian plant produced almost 2 million engines to supply all Audi models as well as other VW brands both within Hungary and in other countries. Moreover, the premium models, the TT Coupé and the Roadster, have been assembled in Gyor since 1998."

Last edited by Kamran; 05-29-2016 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:52 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by RaleighSS
I have been instructing in my C5 Z06 for about 7 years now .... My daughter is now interested in doing a hyperdrive or a HPDE 1 session but i have been hesitant to get her started in the Z as it runs R6 tires ect. She drives an Audi TT roadster .... I sent an email to the regional tech guy as well as posted on the NASA forum if this would pass NASA tech but have not had a reply. The TT roadster has built in factory hoops behind the seats similar to a boxter .... TrackDaze said they would allow it through their tech but was hoping to get her in a NASA event / hyperdrive. So reaching out this community and see if you have any info on a TT Roadster passing tech at NASA
In PCA while seated in the car with helmet on if a straight edge (broomstick test) goes from the top of the roll hoop to the top of the wind screen and the helmet does not touch it and the hoop is fixed, not a pop up hoop, then it passes.

Many drivers do not pass in the essentially open topped Boxster Spyder.

Depending on her height I am guessing she will be fine in the Audi.

From what I know having driven with both groups I am imagining no issue with NASA tech if the car is safe.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:10 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by Racingswh
In PCA while seated in the car with helmet on if a straight edge (broomstick test) goes from the top of the roll hoop to the top of the wind screen and the helmet does not touch it and the hoop is fixed, not a pop up hoop, then it passes.

Many drivers do not pass in the essentially open topped Boxster Spyder.

Depending on her height I am guessing she will be fine in the Audi.

From what I know having driven with both groups I am imagining no issue with NASA tech if the car is safe.
Thank you for the info ... going to give it a whirl

and looking at my receipts when i had the timing belt done they did the pump with a part number that says its a metal impeller... :-)
Old 05-29-2016, 07:27 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I wouldn't hesitate to let her drive the Z since it is already prepared for HPDE. She won't come close to reaching it's limits even if it is on street tires. Just don't be the one in the car with her.
I would only track the Audi at an ACNA event where those cars are regularly encountered. The ACNA has great "intro to HPDE" schools where car control is emphasized through practice drills.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:43 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 735 Likes on 545 Posts

My reading of the NASA HPDE rules says that the factory hoops are OK. Must have padding if they can contact the drivers head, otherwise very minimally covered in the NASA CC&Rs.
Available online at www.nasaproracing.com
Old 05-29-2016, 08:53 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by C5inWV
I wouldn't hesitate to let her drive the Z since it is already prepared for HPDE. She won't come close to reaching it's limits even if it is on street tires. Just don't be the one in the car with her.
I would only track the Audi at an ACNA event where those cars are regularly encountered. The ACNA has great "intro to HPDE" schools where car control is emphasized through practice drills.

Thought about the z and agree it is much safer in an accident with all the additional safety gear it has .... but just thought a low hp car with street tires would be great to do the first event in ...
Old 05-29-2016, 08:53 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nowanker
My reading of the NASA HPDE rules says that the factory hoops are OK. Must have padding if they can contact the drivers head, otherwise very minimally covered in the NASA CC&Rs.
Available online at www.nasaproracing.com
Thank you ... .forgot to look there
Old 05-29-2016, 11:41 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Racingswh
The latest SCCA rules don't even have that any more, and it's pretty scary.

The rules for an open cockpit race car state that the driver's helmet must be 2 inches beneath the broomstick.

And even at 2 inches, your neck and 6 point harness can stretch enough for your helmet to hit the asphalt.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:55 AM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by RaleighSS
I've instructed for the Potomac Chesapeake Region of ACNA since their first event at Summit Pt and they always had used the 2" below a broomstick rule. I also instruct for BMW, PCA, NASA and founded the NCM's HPDE program where I used the same 2" rule. I would a) strongly suggest starting with ACNA and the PCR is one of the best. They do a terrific job with beginners with a lot of classroom and track. Although I teach with NASA, the little I saw of Hyperdrive, at least the ones I've seen, left me feeling there was a lack of classroom and solid preparation. I suggest you contact PCR ACNA and check with them on the roll hoop rule, they are very safety conscious. Feel free to contact me directly

Get notified of new replies

To HPDE Tech Question

Quick Reply: HPDE Tech Question