Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most fun road race course near Texas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 05:19 PM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
Default Most fun road race course near Texas?

I know of 7 road course in or near Texas. Am I missing any?

>> Motorsports Ranch Cresson
>> Motorsports Ranch Houston
>> Texas Motor Speedway
>> Circuit of the Americas
>> Texas World Speedway (done, or near being closed)
>> Eagle's Canyon Raceway
>> Hallett Motor Racing Circuit in Oklahoma

I've done HPDE at Cresson and Houston. Corvette Classic event at TMS (small track), big oval we weren't allowed to go all out. I've done parade laps at COTA, hope to do an event later this year there. Haven't been to the others.

Thus far, my favorite has to be MSR Houston. I really like the speed I could pick up on the straights, but the corners are really fun too. Was in good shape and the weather was super nice when I went this year. I'm really hoping to get lucky and get an event in at Texas World Speedway before it goes belly up. I'm not holding my breath though.

What is your favorite? Any others worth driving to that I didn't list? I'm not sure if I want to drive more than 6 hours though. Hallett is kind of pushing it, but I think that's the furthest from DFW that I know of and willing to go to soon enough.

Last edited by BigMonkey73; 06-01-2016 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:19 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Your missing Harris Hill in Austin.
The following users liked this post:
BigMonkey73 (06-02-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 08:24 PM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '15

Yep. That seems to be a member only track though and not open to HPDE events. At least that's what I saw on their Youtube vid. I need to research more. I could be wrong.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:36 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Default Tws

Originally Posted by BigMonkey73
I know of 7 road course in or near Texas. Am I missing any?

>> Motorsports Ranch Cresson
>> Motorsports Ranch Houston
>> Texas Motor Speedway
>> Circuit of the Americas
>> Texas World Speedway (done, or near being closed)
>> Eagle's Canyon Raceway
>> Hallett Motor Racing Circuit in Oklahoma

I've done HPDE at Cresson and Houston. Corvette Classic event at TMS (small track), big oval we weren't allowed to go all out. I've done parade laps at COTA, hope to do an event later this year there. Haven't been to the other

Thus far, my favorite has to be MSR Houston. I really like the speed I could pick up on the straights, but the corners are really fun too. Was in good shape and the weather was super nice when I went this year. I'm really hoping to get lucky and get an event in at Texas World Speedway before it goes belly up. I'm not holding my breath though.

What is your favorite? Any others worth driving to that I didn't list? I'm not sure if I want to drive more than 6 hours though. Hallett is kind of pushing it, but I think that's the furthest from DFW that I know of and willing to go to soon enough.

CHIN @ Texas World Speedway
When
Jun 25 – 26, 2016
Where
College Station, TX, USA (map)
more details» copy to my calendar»

CoTA is (arguably) the "BEST".....................but pricey
BigMonkey73 (06-02-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 11:32 AM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '15

I already have a track day scheduled on June 25, non-refundable

That would have been awesome to catch that though. According to one of the DE sources I have, TWS "might" still be open to a few more events. No guarantees of course, but definitely keeping an eye out.

And COTA, definitely pricey. At near $1K or more, that will be more like a one time thing for me to say I've done it.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:58 PM
Kphayes1
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I can only speak to Hallett, I've been a regular there the last 4 years. It's a relatively low speed technical track, 1.8 mile 10 turn course than can be run in either direction with a lot of elevation change. I race in their Comma series, they also have high speed touring (HPDE) once a month for a reasonably price, think it's $150 a day. They have NASA and SCCA events about once a year and various other street car events throughout the year.

I like the track because it has ample runoff pretty much everywhere and no hard barriers anywhere, just tire walls. Much less chance of damaging your car or getting hurt when you leave the prepared surface. They have a calandar on their website with all of their events, worth checking it out if you don't mind the drive.

Last edited by Kphayes1; 06-02-2016 at 01:01 PM.
BigMonkey73 (06-02-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 09:20 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

MSR Cresson is my home track and my favorite, especially in the 3.1 and 1.7CW configurations. It's a fun track with a lot of safe run off if you spin. Good group of regulars as well, always friendly and helpful.

COTA is an awesome track, but pricey. It has the best surface and one of the longest straits around. Also has a lot of run off at the end of straits, but a pretty consistent wall / barrier on the interior of the track. Oversteer + spin = expensive day.

Eagles Canyon is a bit lacking. Very poor surface and a repetitive layout (strait, double apex turn, strait, double apex turn...)

TWS is a great Corvette / high HP car track but looks like its about gone...

I understand TMS has very few, if any, full speed road coarse events.
The following 2 users liked this post by SunnydayDILYSI:
BigMonkey73 (06-03-2016), Captain Buddha (06-03-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 09:44 PM
ZZebes
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I absolutely love TWS but COTA is a phenomenal track
BigMonkey73 (06-03-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 12:48 PM
03Dreamin
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

COTA is the best in my book. $1K+ for the weekend is a lot but worth it if you can afford it. Grabbing as much speed as you dare down the back straight is a blast.

MSR Houston is a fun track also.

Going to miss TWS
BigMonkey73 (06-03-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 03:10 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by SunnydayDILYSI
Eagles Canyon is a bit lacking. Very poor surface and a repetitive layout (strait, double apex turn, strait, double apex turn...)
Announcement forthcoming at the next ECR open track day (Saturday, June 18)...fingers crossed...

Regarding ECR surface, to me it's no rougher than the front straight at TWS at 155+...just saying.

Last edited by Captain Buddha; 06-03-2016 at 03:10 PM.
BigMonkey73 (06-03-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 03:11 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

There is also Driveway Austin. Have never ran there, they have their own program...per a phone convo I had with them they will let you run on open days if you have a comp license, as of a year ago anyway.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:10 PM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Heard that MSR Houston has new ownership and big plans. Can anyone confirm ?
Old 06-05-2016, 04:39 PM
_BlueZ06_
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Texas Tracks

I have only been in Texas a while so far, but TWS was my favorite. COTA was a fun track, but would only be a 1 time a year track. I'd rather go to different tracks more often instead.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:37 PM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 213 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C7 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

"the drivers edge" confirmed 1 event in October and another that is only "possible" in December. It should be on their calendar in a few days.

TWS is a ton of fun and it's a classic for sure but I ran at MSR-Houston for the first time last weekend and while it is a "slower" track I found it more technical and challenging than TWS.

TWS on the other hand is my "home track" as it's closest to me.

MSR Houston is retooling to be a Resort similar to Spring Mountain with planned upgrades all the way around. Time will tell if those plans go forward.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:10 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

NASA TX booked TWS for Oct 15-16 and at this point, I may miss my own local event to hit that instead.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:04 AM
Dubstep Shep
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
NASA TX booked TWS for Oct 15-16 and at this point, I may miss my own local event to hit that instead.
I'll be headed to that one for sure.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:18 AM
BaylorCorvette
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

I'll be at TWS at end of June with Chin in a '16 Red C7. Grab me if you're there.

Originally Posted by _BlueZ06_
I have only been in Texas a while so far, but TWS was my favorite. COTA was a fun track, but would only be a 1 time a year track. I'd rather go to different tracks more often instead.
Agreed. I tell people all the time that if TWS had as much money poured into it as COTA then I'd much prefer TWS. The layout of the track is much better IMO. COTA is basically an F1 track. I enjoyed it when I was there but it's basically go WOT and then slam on the brakes for a hairpin turn..

Get notified of new replies

To Most fun road race course near Texas?

Old 06-15-2016, 09:22 AM
Dubstep Shep
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BaylorCorvette
I'll be at TWS at end of June with Chin in a '16 Red C7. Grab me if you're there.

Agreed. I tell people all the time that if TWS had as much money poured into it as COTA then I'd much prefer TWS. The layout of the track is much better IMO. COTA is basically an F1 track. I enjoyed it when I was there but it's basically go WOT and then slam on the brakes for a hairpin turn..
I didn't make the cut off for the June Chin event, but since I only live an hour away I'm halfway tempted to come spectate.

And I agree, TWS is a much smoother course with wide, sweeping turns rather than the straightaways sharp turns of COTA.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:07 PM
theseal
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

most national instructors would tell you TWS is top 3 in the country.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:52 PM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

TWS or CotA.

Quick Reply: Most fun road race course near Texas?