Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Callaway Competition makes it two in a row with win at ADAC GT Masters - Lausitzring

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 08:19 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Default Callaway Competition makes it two in a row with win at ADAC GT Masters - Lausitzring

CALLAWAY COMPETITION MAKES IT TWO IN A ROW
WITH WIN AT ADAC GT MASTERS - LAUSITZRING

Corvette C7 GT3-R Dominates with P1 and P2 Finish

Leingarten, Germany - June 6, 2016 - Callaway Competition celebrated a sensational double-victory at the ADAC GT Masters' second race of the season, at the Lausitzring in Germany. This weekend's win proved to be the second of the season for the Leingarten, Germany-based team's new Corvette C7 GT3-R, following the winning performance last month at the Sachsenring.

Callaway Competition's Corvette C7 GT3-R had already established itself during the first Lausitzring race, held on Saturday. The #69 AutoArena Corvette of Patrick Assenheimer (GER) and Dominik Schwager (GER) finished on the podium in third, and the sister #77 Roller/Valvoline Corvette of Jules Gounon (F) and Daniel Keilwitz (GER) finished fourth.

The second race began with more than 70,000 cheering fans. Schwager started the #69 Corvette from Pole Position and then defended his position after an early restart. Soon it was none other than his teammate Keilwitz right behind and the two Corvettes put on a great nose-to-tail battle.

Assenheimer/Schwager kept the lead until the driver change but, as the battle progressed, Gounon, piloting the #77 Corvette C7 GT3-R, was able to capture P1 from their sister car.

At the finish line, Gounon/Keilwitz raced to victory, with the Assenheimer/Schwager Corvette closely behind in second place. Plus, Gounon won the Junior Class as did his team-mate, Patrick Assenheimer, the day before.

In addition, the #31 Whelen Motorsports Corvette, with Loris Hezemans (NDL) and Boris Said (USA) behind the wheel, had an impressive success. After on-going power steering problems and without qualifiying runs, the Dutch and American duo stormed to a great tenth place in the second race, despite not having much on-track experience at the Lausitzring.

Callaway Competition is currently running in second place in team ranking, with its drivers ranking and also in second and third position in the Junior Class.

“The victory at the Sachsenring was surprising for us, but we knew prior to this weekend that we should be competitive at the Lausitzring, because the track suits our car”, say Giovanni Ciccone and Ernst Wöhr, Team Principals of Callaway Competition. “But we would have never thought that it would be that great. We proved to be fast in qualifying and the double-victory on Sunday is the icing on the cake. It is a great achievement by everyone in the team and shows our dedication and continuing hard work we put into this project.”

The next ADAC GT Masters race takes place July 22-24 at the Red Bull Ring in Austria.

Driver Quotes:
Jules Gounon - #77 Roller/Valvoline Corvette C7 GT3-R:
"It is going really well at the moment. As a Rookie, I am not looking at the championship standings, but focus more on each race. I feel more and more comfortable with the new Corvette. Thank you to the team for doing a great job. The race was a lot of fun and it is great to see the competitiveness within the field.”

Daniel Keilwitz - #77 Roller/Valvoline Corvette C7 GT3-R:
"Of course, we are happy with the victory. I had a good start and I just lined-up and drove behind. In the pit-stop window, I stayed out a little longer and pushed really hard, which I think was the key to success in the end.”

Patrick Assenheimer - #69 AutoArena Corvette C7 GT3-R:
"It was simply a perfect weekend. Two races, two podiums. Of course, it would have been nice to take victory on Sunday. Dominik (Schwager) handed the car over to me from the lead, but then there was an issue with the Lamborghini: It seemed that he did not stop for the minimum of 65 seconds and drove very slowly in the fast line. I was stuck behind him and lost valid time, allowing our sister car to overtake us on track. It was a bit of a shame.”

Dominik Schwager - #69 AutoArena Corvette C7 GT3-R:
"If someone had told me a week ago, that we would end up on the podium twice, I would have believed it. The Lausitzring is the right track for our Corvette. I was able to defend the lead coming from Pole Position. We suffered bad luck during the pit stop with the Lamborghini blocking us. In the end it cost us two positions, but I am still happy with the result.”

Loris Hezemans - #31 Whelen Corvette C7 GT3-R:
"It was my first time at the Lausitzring and of course it was frustrating to have lost so much time in the practice sessions. But we managed a great finish with P10 on Sunday and I was able to set my lap-time within seven-tenth of the best lap.”

Boris Said - #31 Whelen Corvette C7 GT3-R:
"We had no time during practice and we did not get a timed lap during qualifying either. Our weekend actually started with the end of the second race. At this stage, we had completed enough laps to get a certain routine to start into normal race. Loris and I had never raced here before and it is therefore really great to finish in tenth place after the frustrating beginning.”

Click Here for More Pictures

ADAC GT Masters - 2016 Calendar
April 15-17 Oschersleben Germany
April 29-May 1 Sachsenring Germany
June 3-5 Lausitzring Germany
July 22-24 Red Bull Ring Austria
August 5-7 Nürburgring Germany
August 19-21 Zandvoort Netherlands
September 30-October 2 Hockenheim Germany

Contact
Reeves Callaway
Callaway Cars Inc.
2441 Pullman Street
Santa Ana California 92705
erc@callawaycars.com

For More Information
Call us toll-free: 866 927 9400

About Callaway Cars Inc.
Headquartered in Old Lyme, Connecticut, Callaway Cars Incorporated is a global leader in automotive engineering and manufacturing, specializing in high performance applications. Technological sophistication, artistry in design, and expert craftsmanship are hallmarks of the company's products and services. Founded in 1976 by E. Reeves Callaway III, the corporation includes Callaway Cars, which designs and manufactures high performance vehicles and products, Callaway Carbon, which produces premium quality composite parts for aerospace, defense, and medical industries, Callaway Engineering, which delivers a full range of contract engineering and manufacturing services for original equipment manufacturers, and Callaway Competition, which develops, campaigns and supports Corvette-based racecars for national and international series.

About Whelen Engineering
Whelen Engineering designs and manufactures high-quality audio and visual warning equipment for Police, Fire, Emergency Services, and Public Works markets worldwide. We produce a wide range of European certified products that conform to the European EMC Directive, R65, and AES Specification 5. With over 60 years of experience, Whelen is a leading provider of innovative sirens, lightheads, lightbars, white illumination lighting, beacons, and controllers.

Callaway Cars Incorporated, 2441 Pullman Street, Santa Ana, CA 92705

Old 06-07-2016, 11:00 AM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Old 06-07-2016, 11:26 AM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts

are these televised in the US?
Old 06-07-2016, 11:45 AM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS
are these televised in the US?
Unfortunately, no. But they are linked via webcast, live.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:03 PM
arturox2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Congratulations!!
Old 06-08-2016, 12:49 AM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

What's the reasoning behind the bent down angle on the wing?

Get notified of new replies

To Callaway Competition makes it two in a row with win at ADAC GT Masters - Lausitzring

Quick Reply: Callaway Competition makes it two in a row with win at ADAC GT Masters - Lausitzring