Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone tracking their C7 with supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 12:10 AM
2Laidback
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Anyone tracking their C7 with supercharger?

Wanted to see if anyone was tracking their C7 (Non Z06) with a supercharger on it.
Any issues? I have one on my M7 Z51 but disconnected it and just ran NA for the past weekend at Sebring. Did great but just wondering about adding a little (or a lot) more umph!
Concerns? Possible concerns?
Thanks!
Old 06-07-2016, 06:23 AM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Laidback
Wanted to see if anyone was tracking their C7 (Non Z06) with a supercharger on it.
Any issues? I have one on my M7 Z51 but disconnected it and just ran NA for the past weekend at Sebring. Did great but just wondering about adding a little (or a lot) more umph!
Concerns? Possible concerns?
Thanks!
Corvette can't make their own Z06 work well on track, don't think I'd risk with whatever kit you've put on there. I assure you the car doesn't need another 200hp to be fun on track.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:37 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Should you do it, no.

Can it be done, yes but not cheaply.

That being said I would not take a normal C7 with a centri style blower out on the race track without a lot of prep and oil control. I would not run the car wild on boost, but at the same time you are going to have cooling issues with it as well. So plan on upgrading the radiator, adding oil coolers....and a few other things.

A roots style if you had to do it, would probably be slightly easier as the intercooler doesn't block as much of the radiator opening.

Personally I would spend the money on suspension ,tires, and aero.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:46 PM
2Laidback
Instructor

Well, after this last weekend something already has to be done for oil temps. I could run 4 or 5 laps first thing in the morning (before getting warmed up by previous sessions) before getting too hot and that was it. I just started looking for solutions when I got back Monday. I also drive the car on the street so not a total race car, pretty much a date night/gettaway car. I have wheels and NT01's for track only. Not really sure where else to go next on track performance without messing with street-ability stuff. I'm not opposed to coolers but don't want to stress engine too much. Fun little balancing game!
Old 06-08-2016, 12:45 AM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
Corvette can't make their own Z06 work well on track, don't think I'd risk with whatever kit you've put on there. I assure you the car doesn't need another 200hp to be fun on track.
You stole my thoughts
Old 06-08-2016, 01:05 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Should you do it, no.

Can it be done, yes but not cheaply.

That being said I would not take a normal C7 with a centri style blower out on the race track without a lot of prep and oil control. I would not run the car wild on boost, but at the same time you are going to have cooling issues with it as well. So plan on upgrading the radiator, adding oil coolers....and a few other things.

A roots style if you had to do it, would probably be slightly easier as the intercooler doesn't block as much of the radiator opening.

Personally I would spend the money on suspension ,tires, and aero.
none of the 3 big c7 centrifugal kits block the radiator... Maybe 10%.

6 20 minute sessions so far, no problems, no overheating, no loss of power noticed.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 06-08-2016 at 01:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BrianCunningham (06-11-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 12:36 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
none of the 3 big c7 centrifugal kits block the radiator... Maybe 10%.

6 20 minute sessions so far, no problems, no overheating, no loss of power noticed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS21hvO_Ok4
Procharger did at the start.

Later on down the road they did a flat intercooler. My one beef with that is that it could cause front end lift by how they ran the air around it.

either way we ran our 2014 with a Procharger on it, and ran into cooling issues. The car did not shut down like the C7Z did but it was a bit on the warm side (240-250 water temps).
Old 06-08-2016, 10:53 PM
2Laidback
Instructor

Water temps weren't anywhere near problem, it was oil temps. Got up to 300 or a tad more and I just decided to run a cooler lap to chill it out a bit. I'm seeing a lot of info of the oil cooler being next to exhaust so really curious what a bit of wrap on the exhaust by the cooler would do to help. I can't really test it when I'm not on the track so hard to know before next track day in October.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:42 AM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Jon,
I know you don't want to hear it, but if you want to continue to track the car, dump the supercharger and put the funds into cooling/suspension and brakes! (and splash in some safety first so your lady doesn't kill you)
Old 06-11-2016, 12:12 AM
2Laidback
Instructor

I guess I knew the answer for the overall safety of the car (and me too, somewhat). I had a blast with it NA this weekend so I will just focus on getting better at driving. I'll keep the unit on for playing on the street (not racing, cuz if I start getting tickets, that is when the wife will get on me!).
I felt like the magnetic ride shocks did a pretty good job. I'm not sure what I would really gain in doing coil overs or whatever else would be the next step up. But that's why I am on here-cuz I don't know.

I am stepping up brake pads for next outing From XP-12 to XP-24) and going to look into oil line/header wrapping near the oil cooler. If I can get 10 degrees cooler I think I should be fine for the full 25-30 minute sessions. Running NT01s now and like the feel of them.

I really should have let you take the car out after ol' yeller got too hot so you could check out what you thought might be improved (other than me) on the car.

I do have harness bar and all that stuff with 6 point harnesses for safety items. Not sure what else would work in a street-able car.

Originally Posted by UrbanKnight
Jon,
I know you don't want to hear it, but if you want to continue to track the car, dump the supercharger and put the funds into cooling/suspension and brakes! (and splash in some safety first so your lady doesn't kill you)

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone tracking their C7 with supercharger?

Quick Reply: Anyone tracking their C7 with supercharger?