Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

corner balance advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 06:04 AM
Buzartiano
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default corner balance advice needed

2011 z06
coil overs t 1 bars
running R7 on 18 " CCW
Interior out with cage

Driver weight in car
Bars disconnected
Tires set to hot pressure
Scales level
Ride height and rake set

Am i shooting for equal numbers on both front wheel and
equal numbers on both rear wheels. Is that possible

Or equal left side and right side with 50% cross weight ( i am close to that now]

This is what I have now
Attached Images   
Old 06-08-2016, 07:03 AM
sccaGT1racer
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts

Go a half a turn tighter on the rf and lr and Go a half a turn looser lf and rr till you achieve desired weights . Do it this way to keep your ride height close to what you have. Get the cross 50/50.

You will need to add weight on the rs or move weight for the left side to get lighter.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:42 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

and try to get the 2 fronts closer
Old 06-08-2016, 07:01 PM
Buzartiano
Instructor

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
and try to get the 2 fronts closer
Thanks am i trying to 50 percent both diagnols and get fronts closer to each other in weigjt?
Old 06-09-2016, 09:41 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

If you're looking for "balance" then you only want to jack a few pounds (like 5 per wheel) and you'll be there, so for all intents and purposes, you're done, and that's about as close as you're going to get it.

But what is fastest on the track isn't necessarily perfect cross weights. Remember that that how the car uses tires (overheating of the LF could be an issue on most tracks where turning right is most common) and things like that are sometimes more important than getting perfect cross weights.

Perfect cross weights are good for autocross where you don't know what you're going to see on the next day and you want the car to turn equally in both directions. This means the car will work the same in both directions, which is important for that kind of event.

In the real world it is often more important not to overcook a more heavily loaded tire, and you may give up some balance to gain something overall. Just because the car is a bit tight in left hand corners (which there are fewer of and maybe not as important as the rights) but is really strong and hooked up coming out of the rights onto a straight is more important to lap times than a perfect balance.

It all depends on where you're running and how you want the car to work on that track and day.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:26 AM
Buzartiano
Instructor

Originally Posted by Solofast
If you're looking for "balance" then you only want to jack a few pounds (like 5 per wheel) and you'll be there, so for all intents and purposes, you're done, and that's about as close as you're going to get it.

But what is fastest on the track isn't necessarily perfect cross weights. Remember that that how the car uses tires (overheating of the LF could be an issue on most tracks where turning right is most common) and things like that are sometimes more important than getting perfect cross weights.

Perfect cross weights are good for autocross where you don't know what you're going to see on the next day and you want the car to turn equally in both directions. This means the car will work the same in both directions, which is important for that kind of event.

In the real world it is often more important not to overcook a more heavily loaded tire, and you may give up some balance to gain something overall. Just because the car is a bit tight in left hand corners (which there are fewer of and maybe not as important as the rights) but is really strong and hooked up coming out of the rights onto a straight is more important to lap times than a perfect balance.

It all depends on where you're running and how you want the car to work on that track and day.

Thanks

My primary track is Thompson speedway CT lots of right hand turns that are off camber so left front is skidding out ( push)

would i sent up the balance to put more on the right front on the scale to counter act that?

As you can see on the video I really waiting on the right handers to get to the gas.
Sorry about the back camera view being tilted

Thanks
Buz
Old 06-10-2016, 08:52 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

I tend to think of jacking corner weights as a "fine tuning" measure. That is, before I jack corner weights I look to get the basic setup of sway bars and shocks right before I do any corner weighting.

If you have push on corner exit going both ways, then you need a shock adjustment to sort that out, or if you have mid corner push you need to adjust your bars to get that taken care of first. The reason is that if you jack corner weights you're going to lose going in one direction and gain going in the other. If you don't have the shocks tuned correctly, then jacking some weight off of the LF will help you on corner exit going right, but when turning left it's going to really suck because not only are the shocks not tuned correctly, but now you've put more push into the RF tire and turning left is going to be miserable...

Remember, corner entry and exit are shock tuning items, mid corner and steady state are sway bar and corner weight tuning *****...
Old 06-10-2016, 11:40 AM
carefulnow
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Solofast

That's all true however changing your corner balancing implies changing your corner ride heights which in turn affects camber and toe, so unless you're willing to check/adjust your whole alignment for every track, it is better to hit something cross-balanced with corner weighting, then align for that.

(I do suppose the exception would be if you only EVER drive CCW or CW tracks...)
Old 06-10-2016, 01:25 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by carefulnow
That's all true however changing your corner balancing implies changing your corner ride heights which in turn affects camber and toe, so unless you're willing to check/adjust your whole alignment for every track, it is better to hit something cross-balanced with corner weighting, then align for that.

(I do suppose the exception would be if you only EVER drive CCW or CW tracks...)
While that is all true, the reality is that subtle corner weight changes don't really change the ride height and toe very much at all. At least once you've gotten the car close and dialed in. What amazed me was how much weight was jacked by just twisting the screws a quarter or a half a turn. IIRC it jacked about 50 pounds in less than a half a turn of one of the rear screws... Not much at all really. If you're just jacking a bit of weight don't get too wrapped around doing another alignment for small amounts of weight jacking.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:58 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

After setting ride height with corner weights close. Final corner weight then set toe, drive and recheck toe. Zero sway bars & don't worry about ride height anymore.

Ride heights will not be perfectly equal with good corner weights.

Using the calculated wheel spring rate, you can see and repeat spring adjustments depending on coilover adjustment thread pitch.

Last edited by blkbrd69; 06-10-2016 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:22 PM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Buzartiano
Thanks

My primary track is Thompson speedway CT lots of right hand turns that are off camber so left front is skidding out ( push)

would i sent up the balance to put more on the right front on the scale to counter act that? YES

Thanks
Buz
See answer above.

In addition you may try adding some camber to the left front. Also, invest in a good tire temp gauge, this will give you a better indication of which tires are getting used the most and exactly how much of each tire you are using.

Last edited by Rookieracer; 06-10-2016 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:23 PM
Buzartiano
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rookieracer
See answer above.

In addition you may try adding some camber to the left front. Also, invest in a good tire temp gauge, this will give you a better indication of which tires are getting used the most and exactly how much of each tire you are using.

Thank you to everyone for your replies

I have it set for a real good base line

Going to track.monday will get some tire temp data

Thanks

Buz
Old 06-16-2016, 09:43 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Here's some basics on corner weights

Richard Newton
The following users liked this post: