Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Playing dirty - Rallycross action!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 06:44 PM
Madhatr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Playing dirty - Rallycross action!

Hello everyone,

Normally I hang out in the C3 section, but I thought I would share with you guys pics and video of my rallycross adventure from last sunday.

First alittle history, 77 Corvette, 4 speed L82 car. Although the original L82 motor is sitting under my work bench in the garage. What is currently in it is a 350 bored .040, World products heads, aluminum intake and a fairly mild cam. I installed Poly bushings, but other wise stock suspension, and I added the stock car steelies ans General Grabber A/T tires for playing in the dirt.

No for the good stuff!

First video with the camera mounted on my helmet

Camera mounted out the back

The rattling in videos is the jack stands mounted under the car

I will remember to take those out next time
Old 06-12-2016, 12:57 PM
Twiggs
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love it! Did you have any issues with ride height? How easily could you get the tail out to get you around a hairpin?
Old 06-12-2016, 05:26 PM
Madhatr
Pro

Originally Posted by Twiggs
I love it! Did you have any issues with ride height? How easily could you get the tail out to get you around a hairpin?
Ride height has not been an issue yet, with the stock Springs and tire size it has more ground clearance that the wife's Audi

In the dirt, a quick stab at the throttle will get her tail happy... it almost comes around too fast! The interesting thing about rallycross, is every event the course conditions change drastically.... they change even run to run. These are a couple pics from the Rallycross I ran in April... the soil there was very sandy and deep

Where last Sunday was very dry and hard packed... so much so, that we were leaving rubber on the starting line

And some of the cars were squawking tires on the last turn

Also bonus pic of a prepared Mini that showed up to run, because... thats is just plain

Old 06-12-2016, 05:49 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Old 06-12-2016, 08:28 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Thanks for sharing, heck I didn't even know this section was here and you just knew I would dig the hell out of this,

I always spew about being a poser in that I am building my 69 to look like if snuck off a track yet I will never do any of that cool track stuff, but I might,

I can see this "ralleycross" being a lot harder than on a paved track and in that a lot more fun,

after all these are cars mean to be driven and if a person doesn't drive their corvette they are selling it and them selves short.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:58 PM
Madhatr
Pro

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Thanks for sharing, heck I didn't even know this section was here and you just knew I would dig the hell out of this,

I always spew about being a poser in that I am building my 69 to look like if snuck off a track yet I will never do any of that cool track stuff, but I might,

I can see this "ralleycross" being a lot harder than on a paved track and in that a lot more fun,

after all these are cars mean to be driven and if a person doesn't drive their corvette they are selling it and them selves short.

No problem! I know you have said your car probably won't see track time, but I know you are not one that stands on tradition. So I thought you might indeed enjoy it.... and now if somebody gets on you about your kustom, you can deflect it to: You know this kat that slides his vette sidways in the dirt....

Seriously though, despite what some say...Rallycross is pretty neat. It is a different kind of challange, it is hard to be consistent on ever changing track conditions. Unless you are like me and just suck ALL the time The groups tend to be smaller, and there is more of a laid back attitude and a good bit of comroddery. Plus it is bringing new people into motorsports, this last event I think about a third of the entrants were first timers. You see everything from full prepped stage rally cars to people DDs, to Craigslist beaters. You go, have a good time, and try not break too much
Old 06-13-2016, 01:23 AM
Andy Tuttle
Melting Slicks

Received 392 Likes on 340 Posts

Great video! I especially liked the third run! The jacks were quite noisy - I was wondering what you broke! LOL! The reduction in weight will also help your time improve. Seriously Chris, that was really great. It would be hard to make suspension changes because you never know what kinda track condition you are going to find. Looks like it was a total blast on this one! Leaving rubber on the dirt! Don't get to do that very often! Guess it is good to drive to work tomorrow too! Thanks for the link man! Loved it!
Old 06-13-2016, 09:56 AM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 39 Posts

Great pics and video, Chris! Thanks for sharing this and I always enjoy seeing your videos on Youtube, bud. The rattle was driving me NUTS...thanks for explaining that LOL!

Later,

Lee
Old 06-14-2016, 01:20 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,176 Likes on 2,737 Posts

Waaaaaaaa haaaaa haaaaaa haaaaaaaaa haaaaaa!!!

Thanks Madhatr........I needed that! The back of that Vette sliding around in an open field had me smiling the whole time!

Old 06-14-2016, 09:25 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Old 06-14-2016, 10:32 AM
johnny c
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

now, that looks like fun!

Get notified of new replies

To Playing dirty - Rallycross action!

Quick Reply: Playing dirty - Rallycross action!