Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Conti DW on a dry track?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 07:18 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Default Conti DW on a dry track?

Good morning
I'm at Watkins Glen next weekend with PCA for three days. Looks like rain in the morning on Friday. I bought a set of conti DW's so I can run in the rain with more confidence and grip than my worn NT-05's.

Does anyone have any experience with DW's on a dry track? Do they work well as a street tire? Do they not hold up(overheat easily or chunk)?

My car is a c5z. My experience/skill level is intermediate by Pca/scca/chin standards. I have -1.8* camber up front with zero toe. Rear is -1.0* and 1/16 toe in.

My dilemma is certainly a first world problem. I have a set of mounted Hoosiers but my alignment isn't where they like to be so I wear the outside edges. I have some worn NT05's not mounted on wheels. I'd like to bring the Hoosiers and use them on a couple runs to measure them with a pyrometer to get a better idea what my alignment should be when I start shopping for camber kits (this will be winter time). The alternative would be to shelve the Hoosiers and mount the nittos for dry conditions next weekend.

I feel like it depends on how DW's do on a dry track?
Old 06-12-2016, 06:57 PM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

I'v been running the DWs for the last two years, and I think you maybe surprised, they may not be as grippy as your normal track tires, but I bet you'll have a good time. I run street pressures, have not had any chucking, and the wear over all is great... I coach for a group here in CA doing 5 lead follow sessions per event, we do over 30 events per year.

They also work well in the rain, but the last time I did experience just a little more push and slid (but hey they have just over 15k road miles and I don't know track miles.) If you do run in the rain, and have adjustable shocks, soften them a click or two.

Mark

Last edited by Moto One; 06-12-2016 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:28 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Mark,
Thank you for sharing your experience with these. I'm going to give them a go this weekend. I was concerned they may not be good on a dry surface. I just spent a grand on them as a wet track tire and for street miles. Didn't want to regret using them on a nice track day too

Dan
Old 07-04-2016, 06:50 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Posting up my post event experience with these tires. Was at Watkins Glen with PCA in June. Brought these tires brand new and a set of Hoosier A6's. I wanted to use the DW's since my alignment wasn't set up for the Hoosiers and the wear was concerning. I bought these for events in the rain. My nt-05's were poor in the rain, so I wanted a better and safer option.

After building some heat up, about a lap and a half or two laps, these became greasy and unpredictable. Generally they are like driving grandmas lesebre, squishy and disconnected.

Most folks will say an NT-05 is a good starter tire, but eventually they underperform. I would say on drive pavement, the DW's are not as good on the track as the Nitto's. I bought the DW's for wet conditions and thats what I'll save them for.

Thought I would post up the experience for the next person who has the same question.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:52 AM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

Thanks for the follow up. I ran a few events on NT05s and now run Conti DW on my 'street' wheels'. Going to give Hankook RS3 a go next time out for the track.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:41 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan H.
Posting up my post event experience with these tires. Was at Watkins Glen with PCA in June. Brought these tires brand new and a set of Hoosier A6's. I wanted to use the DW's since my alignment wasn't set up for the Hoosiers and the wear was concerning. I bought these for events in the rain. My nt-05's were poor in the rain, so I wanted a better and safer option.

After building some heat up, about a lap and a half or two laps, these became greasy and unpredictable. Generally they are like driving grandmas lesebre, squishy and disconnected.

Most folks will say an NT-05 is a good starter tire, but eventually they underperform. I would say on drive pavement, the DW's are not as good on the track as the Nitto's. I bought the DW's for wet conditions and thats what I'll save them for.

Thought I would post up the experience for the next person who has the same question.

I bought DW's for my street tires and took them off after 4 days, they felt like 4 beach *****.....mushy. I put on PSS and love them for the street.

The car had Conti Sport Contact 3 when I bought it, I like them much better than the DW.

In the Camaro I started on Maxxis MA-V1's, 275/40/17 square and they did really well on that heavy car when I was a novice, I burned up 2 sets of those.

Get notified of new replies

To Conti DW on a dry track?

Quick Reply: Conti DW on a dry track?