Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why to boycott FOX sports & networks

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 01:58 PM
steve J06
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default why to boycott FOX sports & networks

...LeMans 2016 coverage.

Just in case somebody from the network in on this board. Please either show the race or don't. Stop lying about the times and channels it is offered on for viewing. I watched 21 hours last night and set the DVR for the last bit while taking care of some business, then missed the last two hours and conclusion due to more of their inconsiderate crap!!!
Old 06-19-2016, 03:25 PM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

whoever was in charge of programing should get the hand stuck in a car door .
Old 06-19-2016, 05:38 PM
magls2
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope to folks at the main networks (yes main) NBC. CBS, or ABC needs to cover this event. Just get fox out of the picture all together
Old 06-19-2016, 08:35 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by steve J06
...LeMans 2016 coverage.

Just in case somebody from the network in on this board. Please either show the race or don't. Stop lying about the times and channels it is offered on for viewing. I watched 21 hours last night and set the DVR for the last bit while taking care of some business, then missed the last two hours and conclusion due to more of their inconsiderate crap!!!
Ever since speed sold out (us)
Old 06-20-2016, 12:27 AM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I give Fox alot of credit for the number of hours they did cover. The other left wing networks would have given us a 1 hour recap.

But whoever decided go show golf instead of the finish, or just screwed up the guide should be hammered.

Missed the last 2 hours after many hours of viewing and am ticked.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:47 AM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

FOX you F@#K UP...

Mark.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:17 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by blkbrd69
I give Fox alot of credit for the number of hours they did cover. The other left wing networks would have given us a 1 hour recap.

But whoever decided go show golf instead of the finish, or just screwed up the guide should be hammered.

Missed the last 2 hours after many hours of viewing and am ticked.

I guess I'm lucky enough to have FS1 and FS2 so the switch to golf just had me switch channels - was I happy with all the flip flopping - no - but I was happy that someone showed as much of the race as they did. It's not perfect but at least it's something.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:23 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

It was their typical terrible coverage, but it was better than last year's terrible coverage.

What really ticked me off is that the online feed crapped out when they returned to FS2 late at night, and all i got was commercials. The feed without commercials was awesome while it worked.

I'm hoping someday we can have actual car guys deciding the network coverage, so I don't have to flip channels all damn day for NASCRAP practice or some junk. Pick a channel, leave it alone, talk about all 4 classes of cars.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:43 PM
insertclevername
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I dropped cable over 3 years ago, and don't miss the expense at all.

Internet to watch what I want, pay something like $11 USD to stream 24h LM from the FIA website. Only pay for what you want for internet streaming. I don't pay for a bunch of crap channels I'll never watch in a package put together to frustrate you from the cable man.

OTA HD antenna to watch local channels.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:21 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Great.

So i don't have the last two hours? Awesome.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:32 PM
johnny c
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

I did something nuts and bought the $9 WEC app.

it had a little TV with a wifi logo in the upper right hand corner, i pressed it and my Iphone connected with my chromecast, turned the TV on and i watched all 24 hour uninterrupted. i was staggered because i thought it would just show live timing.

i'm never going back to fox, way too annoying.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:53 PM
2Laidback
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most of my coverage was on FS2 ONLY in Standard Def. I could get audio on the HD channel but nothing else. It was a bummer. 65" of stretched out SD TV. yea
Old 06-21-2016, 12:06 AM
jking32
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Say what you like, but I tried to watch it all and had to watch some on Foxsportsgo.com That actually worked out to be not too bad, as unlike other years and web broadcasts the analyst stayed on the Go the entire time that coverage was not on TV, which was only a couple hours total for me and then I just ran it to my big screen on apple TV.

I can't say I liked them moving the coverage and while I love Golf and Racing, I think they probably have contractual obligations that probably determine who gets moved. Racing people are not going to like being preempted for Golf, but I guarantee there were more people watching the US Open than the Le mans 24 hour race.

Maybe my memory is faulty, but I don't remember any previous years where I saw as much of the race. Even when Speed was on, they always cut away for Nascar programing. Maybe before Speed was bought by Fox... And I think there is little doubt that CBS, NBC and ABC would not have aired more than 50% of the race. They certainly would not have cut their Saturday evening prime time shows for the race.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:47 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I don't recall any network showing all 24 in some form, but back in the day when Speed was SpeedVision, they didn't have the streaming. I had to get a pirate feed somewhere for the night hours in LeMans back then.

A big complaint I had last year was them cutting away for Nascar PRACTICE (PRACTICE!) during daytime hours right in the middle of the damn race.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:56 AM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

FoxSportsGo had the entire race, plus in-car cams for both Corvettes and one of the Fords. If you have cable, you can watch FoxSportsGo on any device that can receive an internet signal by logging into your cable account.

I give Fox props for covering this race at all. It is an awkward TV race because of its length. ESPN had basically ruined sports and dictates to everyone, so I do not want to boycott Fox sports.

My main gripe with the race was the fact that the Corvettes were not competitive....

Last edited by quick04Z06; 06-21-2016 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:08 PM
Subfixer
POSSE ZR-1 Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts

So, I'm and old guy and was also screwed by Fox's switch to golf while recording....

Question.... how do you record streaming content?
Old 06-21-2016, 08:27 PM
Radiologue
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At this point I would rather they go full Internet streaming rather than even bothering with cable providers. Jumping around on various TV channels, applications or websites...just stream continuously at one location like the IMSA site.

Get notified of new replies

To why to boycott FOX sports & networks

Old 06-21-2016, 09:03 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Radiologue
At this point I would rather they go full Internet streaming rather than even bothering with cable providers. Jumping around on various TV channels, applications or websites...just stream continuously at one location like the IMSA site.
They do. You can stream at FoxSportsGo for free if you can authenticate a Fox Sports 1 subscription, or you can pay the $12 or whatever it was for the WEC stream.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:20 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 774 Likes on 468 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

I like Fox Sports, so now boycott here. Now E$ecPN, that's another story. Hate them.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:42 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,312 Posts

It's amazing how spoiled we've all become. I still remember looking forward to watching 20 minutes of the Indy 500 on Wide World of Sports, a month after it happened.

I use to get upset when the networks preempted racing, but after years of having the local Philadelphia ABC network, always preempting racing for something else, I've gotten use to it. We never use to get to see the Detroit Grand Prix, because ABC6 always replaced it with something else. They've often preempted Indy Car races too, when ABC Sports was broadcasting them.

When Fox went to golf, I pulled the 24 Hour up on my iPad using Fox Sports Go, made some coffee, and switched over to NBC Sports to watch the European GP.

Racing will always be a fringe sport to the networks. A friend of mine use to build the semi trailers, that sporting events are broadcast from. He would often go when new units were delivered, to assist the crews in getting familiar with the rigs, and to trouble shoot any teething problems the new trailers might have. He was told a number of times by network sports people, they didn't understand the attraction to racing. The feeling was, if you couldn't bet on racing, why would someone sit and watch cars drive in a circle, for 3 or 4 hours. This was 20 years ago, but I don't think the network's attitudes has changed much.

Last edited by gbvette62; 06-22-2016 at 08:44 AM.

Quick Reply: why to boycott FOX sports & networks