Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aero Question regarding spoiler and rear wing

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 11:56 AM
Radiologue
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Aero Question regarding spoiler and rear wing

Has anyone recorded and compared their lap times with both a rear spoiler and wing vs wing only vs spoiler only? I understand that running both a spoiler and wing are frowned upon. I just want to see the data myself.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:34 PM
Racer86
Safety Car

Received 376 Likes on 180 Posts

The need to get Clean Air to the leading edge of the wing is what you need. Anything that causes turbulence in that area will reduce downforce of the wing. To answer your question , it depends on the location of each and how they interact.
Dual element wings have a slot which can increase downforce but that is highly engineered.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:10 PM
Radiologue
Advanced

The leading edge of the wing would be in front of the trailing edge of the spoiler by close to 12" as a guesstimate, maybe a little more.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:44 PM
Racer86
Safety Car

Received 376 Likes on 180 Posts

If your wing is a good naca profile, it will produce way more downforce than a spoiler, and with less drag. We don't have any data on using both, as we have never done it. But, if you leading edge is a foot in front of the spoiler, and it is mounted higher that the spoiler, it might not hurt anything. Best thought is to tape short pieces of yarn to various areas around and near both wing and spoiler , drive the car and see if the yarn is laying flat or lifting in turbulence . That will show you what the air is doing. Use a camera or have a spotter near by as you drive by.
Or the other way, spend millions in a wind tunnel
Just saying.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:53 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Radiologue
Has anyone recorded and compared their lap times with both a rear spoiler and wing vs wing only vs spoiler only? I understand that running both a spoiler and wing are frowned upon. I just want to see the data myself.
At what track, on what kind of car, and how is car setup? Not to mention the #1 aspect, worth by far the most time, the driver.

For instance with a wing you will probably run slower at Daytona in a C6Z but faster at Sebring. A high HP car can pull more wing, where a momentum car can easily be slowed down by even a small wing or spoiler.

The book Competition Car Aerodynamics is a great starting point.
https://www.amazon.com/Competition-C...r+Aerodynamics

It does a good job of explaining the relationship at the rear of the car and how a small spoiler may complement a wing on a passenger car.
The following users liked this post:
Radiologue (06-21-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 11:01 PM
Radiologue
Advanced

Originally Posted by blkbrd69
At what track, on what kind of car, and how is car setup? Not to mention the #1 aspect, worth by far the most time, the driver.

For instance with a wing you will probably run slower at Daytona in a C6Z but faster at Sebring. A high HP car can pull more wing, where a momentum car can easily be slowed down by even a small wing or spoiler.

The book Competition Car Aerodynamics is a great starting point.
https://www.amazon.com/Competition-C...r+Aerodynamics

It does a good job of explaining the relationship at the rear of the car and how a small spoiler may complement a wing on a passenger car.
I know there are so many variables to consider. I have seen pics of individuals that have mounted wings on C6z's that already have spoilers in place and wondered what affects those individuals were experiencing. Just wondered if anyone had taken the effort to record their lap times with the various aero changes to document the effects, understanding that different tracks may have different effects given the types of corners, length of straights and a million other variables.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:58 AM
Dubstep Shep
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It's hard to compare lap times with amateur drivers at the wheel. They're not going to be anywhere near as consistent as a professional, so it's hard to track little changes.

The spoilers aren't worth a whole lot, especially not compared to a proper wing setup. Most people put the wings WAY too close to the car. You want it as far up and back as possible. Usually the rules are what limit the wing location.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:40 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

As you know we make a number of different aero products for the C5, C6, and C7 cars.

I would say generally on a 1.5 to 2 mile course aero is going to be worth 2-4 seconds off of your lap times. Talking with Louis this morning I don't know if either one of us have done an honest back to back on a customer's car without any other changes. I think when most have came in they have done aero along with suspension changes too.

Now that being said.....

Take the above picture from circa 1998 with a 5" lip spoiler on the TransAm series car....

vs

That same car a couple years later when the rules allowed the cars to run a wing, straight away speeds at say Long Beach increased 3-5 mph because you could run the same downforce but much more efficient in how they did it.

So that being said, yes you would want to remove any kind of "air brake" at the back of the car if you are going to run a wing.

Louis at GSpeed did some testing with a customer's C7 using our GT2 wing and their mounting kit at COTA. The car was 5 seconds quicker around the track with the wing vs the stock lip spoiler if I remember correctly. Louis can confirm that one.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:41 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Dubstep Shep
Most people put the wings WAY too close to the car. You want it as far up and back as possible. Usually the rules are what limit the wing location.

It is going to depend on the rules yes, but it can depend on the wing too....some of them are designed to use the air coming around and over the top of the car, not just totally out in the open.

But yes you are correct mounting it up or further back increases the lever action of the downforce.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:47 PM
Dubstep Shep
Pro

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
It is going to depend on the rules yes, but it can depend on the wing too....some of them are designed to use the air coming around and over the top of the car, not just totally out in the open.

But yes you are correct mounting it up or further back increases the lever action of the downforce.
Exactly. The 3D wings you see on the C6R and those kinds of cars are designed to pull the air coming off the roof of the car more efficiently. These types of wings do not work as well when pushed further up and out back into the free flowing air. The only reason these cars run the wings that close is because of the rules.

Ideally, you would run a 2D wing out and away from the car. The rules don't always permit that though.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:51 PM
Radiologue
Advanced

As you know we make a number of different aero products for the C5, C6, and C7 cars.

I would say generally on a 1.5 to 2 mile course aero is going to be worth 2-4 seconds off of your lap times. Talking with Louis this morning I don't know if either one of us have done an honest back to back on a customer's car without any other changes. I think when most have came in they have done aero along with suspension changes too.

Now that being said.....

Take the above picture from circa 1998 with a 5" lip spoiler on the TransAm series car....

vs

That same car a couple years later when the rules allowed the cars to run a wing, straight away speeds at say Long Beach increased 3-5 mph because you could run the same downforce but much more efficient in how they did it.

So that being said, yes you would want to remove any kind of "air brake" at the back of the car if you are going to run a wing.

Louis at GSpeed did some testing with a customer's C7 using our GT2 wing and their mounting kit at COTA. The car was 5 seconds quicker around the track with the wing vs the stock lip spoiler if I remember correctly. Louis can confirm that one.

Anthony,

Info very helpful...
Do you guys have prefab mounts to the frame like you did on that C7 for a C6Z?
Old 06-23-2016, 01:26 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Anthony,

Info very helpful...
Do you guys have prefab mounts to the frame like you did on that C7 for a C6Z?
All of our GT2 wings have a frame mount kit for C5 and C6 cars. The only part you have to cut through is the back bumper, the trunk remains completely weather tight and sealed.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:54 PM
Dubstep Shep
Pro

Any advantage to going out the back of the bumper rather than the top for the mount?
Old 06-23-2016, 01:57 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Any advantage to going out the back of the bumper rather than the top for the mount?
The C5 and C6 have a bit more room behind the rear fascia than the C7 so rather than cutting through the deck lid and having to fight water leaks inside the car they went out then up with the mounts.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:03 PM
Dubstep Shep
Pro

The C5 and C6 have a bit more room behind the rear fascia than the C7 so rather than cutting through the deck lid and having to fight water leaks inside the car they went out then up with the mounts.
So there's no real advantage to doing that on a C6 other than pushing the wing further back?

I was just thinking from a simplicity standpoint, whether it be the modifications to the bumper cover or the ease of removing the entire wing assembly for transport (like on an open trailer)
Old 06-23-2016, 02:24 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

So there's no real advantage to doing that on a C6 other than pushing the wing further back?

I was just thinking from a simplicity standpoint, whether it be the modifications to the bumper cover or the ease of removing the entire wing assembly for transport (like on an open trailer)
You are going to have a different arm coming out, the curve of the bumper is different and so is the distance from the frame to the fascia cover itself. you would have to run some tests to see how thick it would need to be and how much support would need to be added to it because it would push off the frame much further than that of the C7.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:14 PM
Radiologue
Advanced

You are going to have a different arm coming out, the curve of the bumper is different and so is the distance from the frame to the fascia cover itself. you would have to run some tests to see how thick it would need to be and how much support would need to be added to it because it would push off the frame much further than that of the C7.
I like the C7 set up. Nonetheless, I will be looking to upgrade my C6Z aero setup (ZR1 carbon fiber splitter, spoiler and side skirts currently) to include a more aggressive splitter and wing combo. Feel free to PM me as I have started ordering from you monthly as it is...
Old 06-27-2016, 01:00 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

I like the C7 set up. Nonetheless, I will be looking to upgrade my C6Z aero setup (ZR1 carbon fiber splitter, spoiler and side skirts currently) to include a more aggressive splitter and wing combo. Feel free to PM me as I have started ordering from you monthly as it is...
Sent!
Old 06-28-2016, 12:50 AM
Kamran
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Now that being said.....

Any chance you have pictures of C7 mounting brackets/arms to chassis? Without the rear fascia cover, exposing the connection. Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Aero Question regarding spoiler and rear wing

Quick Reply: Aero Question regarding spoiler and rear wing