Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hawk 5.0 and Street Race Pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 12:38 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Hawk 5.0 and Street Race Pads

Wondering if anyone's run these? I have some Hawk Bucks to burn since the race car amazingly doesn't seem to want to kill last year's pads or rotors. I'm hoping these pads dust less than the Raybestos ST43, those were impossible to DD. Even the XP10s were hard on the rotors and were hella dusty. Even though I don't track my Z06 anymore I still love the feel of a decent tire and snappy brake pedal. Plus I keep a set of ST43s on hand and rotors just in case I get a bug up my *** to go run a rando track day. I figure this is the best place to ask.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:59 AM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

I ran the street/race pads on the street and track. They dust quite a bit and make some noise....but nothing unbearable for a street pad IMO. They performed OK when cold, at least here in FL. On the track, I wore them out really fast and grooved up the rotors. It's a compromise pad, so it's not going to do any one thing great. IF you're going to have a set of track pads/brakes, I would go for the more street friendly HPS 5.0s. I have ran HPS before, but not the new 5.0s. The 5.0s are supposed to have better initial bite vs HPS, which was the biggest gripe from what I can remember.

Last edited by aaronc7; 07-04-2016 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:23 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

It's odd because I thought the 5.0 was supposed to be the do it all pad. So was the HP+, but I'd heard better things about the 5.0. Then last night I went to Hawk's site and they have this street/track pad. . .
Old 07-04-2016, 11:52 AM
aaronc7
Drifting

From what I gather the HPS 5.0 is the eventual replacement for the HPS and Street/Race will eventually replace HP+
Old 07-04-2016, 01:00 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

The 5.0 pads were significantly worse than the C7 Z51 OEM pads on the track, so I saw no benefit to them at all.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:19 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Do it all pads are hype.

I'm a Hawk Dealer, and Raybestos, and Ferodo, and EBC, and a bunch of others. Hawk likes to say the HP+ is the all around pad. I hate them. And they are NOT track pads. HPS's in any form are not either.

Street/Race are simply DTC30's. And those are NOT road course use worthy either unless you like pads that melt and glop pad material on the rotor which makes the car feel like it's coming apart. Ran a set last year as a confirmation of a set a few years back. Pass.

The reason the Jay saw better life of out of his stock pads is simple. Brembo uses a Ferodo pad, typically HP1000. HPS is a downgrade from there. I use DS2500 which is a pad you can do some track work on, but is NOT a full blown race pad. But it's a killer everything else pad. Works cold, strong linear bite not all on and off like the HP+ and some others, super kind to rotors. I have them on C6Z right now after trying other things. And when I had my FRC, I ended up with them on there, after trying other things.

If you have Hawk bucks to burn, that's fine. But use them with an appropriate pad. Race stuff no less than HT10 for track. HPS 5.0 are a nice street / autox pad.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:46 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Yes, I started using the Ferodo DS2500 as a street and track pad and it works pretty well.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:58 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Sam when I go to the track, I'm wearing ST43 all around every time so it's not that I intend to use a do it all pad for the track. I'm just wanting something better than the HPS pad for the street. I really liked the feel of the XP10 on the street. Sure they weren't as good when cold, but they were no worse than any street pad. The dust was a bit much and they were real hard on the rotors. That may be the way it is with the street race pads too. I guess it makes sense that the 5.0 is the new HPS and street race is new HP+, if the replacement pads are better they probably want to convey that somehow.
The following users liked this post:
strano@stranoparts.com (07-06-2016)
Old 07-05-2016, 08:15 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

Something else to throw into the mix-- Stoptech street pads. I'm running their sport pad (formerly known as the street performance pad). I am happy with it a street pad on the more aggressive end of the spectrum. Dust is not bad, less than OEM z06 pads. They just introduced a new street pad as well. http://www.stoptech.com/products/stoptech-brake-pads
Old 07-06-2016, 02:25 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

I guess I forgot "also a Stoptech dealer". But in no way does a Stoptech compare to a DS2500. Kind of HPS like, HPS 5.0 have a bit more. FWIW, also tried a lot of others too including PowerStop Z26's.

In short if you are in need of pads, let me know! I've got pretty good pricing and I have personally run a LOT of pads.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:27 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Sam when I go to the track, I'm wearing ST43 all around every time so it's not that I intend to use a do it all pad for the track. I'm just wanting something better than the HPS pad for the street. I really liked the feel of the XP10 on the street. Sure they weren't as good when cold, but they were no worse than any street pad. The dust was a bit much and they were real hard on the rotors. That may be the way it is with the street race pads too. I guess it makes sense that the 5.0 is the new HPS and street race is new HP+, if the replacement pads are better they probably want to convey that somehow.
Ok great. ST43 on the track and you want a better than HPS on the street. Sounds like that's right up the DS2500's alley.

The 5.0 is NOT the new HPS as in a replacement (though it should be it's not available for all cars). The Street/Race is NOT the new HP+. These are new additions, not replacements.
814-849-3450

More options than any other single company out there. More parts than any other single company I know: Brakes to Safety, Wheels to Exhaust. Suspension to Air Filters: Girodisc, Hawk, Raybestos, Essex Racing/AP, Ferodo, Wilwood, Penske, Koni, Borg Motorsport, Ridetech, Viking, After Dark Speed, Hotchkis, Bilstein, KW, Forgestar, BC Forged, Forgeline, MRR Wheels and on, and on, and on it goes.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:15 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Wondering if anyone's run these? I have some Hawk Bucks to burn since the race car amazingly doesn't seem to want to kill last year's pads or rotors. I'm hoping these pads dust less than the Raybestos ST43, those were impossible to DD. Even the XP10s were hard on the rotors and were hella dusty. Even though I don't track my Z06 anymore I still love the feel of a decent tire and snappy brake pedal. Plus I keep a set of ST43s on hand and rotors just in case I get a bug up my *** to go run a rando track day. I figure this is the best place to ask.
I have read what everyone has posted. If you decide not to use your Hawk bucks you should really consider the Carbotech XP8 pads. Not as dusty as the 10 a lot easier on rotors but still can perform dual duty as a track pad if needed.

Carbotech™ XP8™

A high torque brake compound with a wide operating temperature range of 200°F-1250°F+ (93°C to 676°C+). Carbotech™ XP8™ is the first of our racing compounds. Good initial bite at race temperatures, high coefficient of friction, excellent modulation and release characteristics. Extremely high fade resistance and very rotor friendly. Perfect for track day use with any tire and can still be driven safely to and from the track. Carbotech™ does NOT recommended XP8™ as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise. Carbotech™ XP8™ is a great compound on the front & rear of most open wheel and sports racers.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 07-06-2016, 05:30 PM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

The initial bite on my HP+ are way too much. I am running Bear 6S 6 Piston calipers on all four corners on my C$ Corvette. The calipers require the Hawk HB122 pads. Last weekend, I was talking to a Hawk Distributor about my initial bite situation and I asked him if I would be better with the HPS pads and he recommend that I try the Stoptech 309 pads. The initial bite and release are good and are still effective in the high temp range.

I just might try them.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:39 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

I have the Hawk HPS and 5.0 pads on my Miata but its a DD/Auto-x car. They work really good there.

I'll second or third the DS2500's. Those are very at home on my Corvette even at track days. Love those pads.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:39 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Nokones
The initial bite on my HP+ are way too much. I am running Bear 6S 6 Piston calipers on all four corners on my C$ Corvette. The calipers require the Hawk HB122 pads. Last weekend, I was talking to a Hawk Distributor about my initial bite situation and I asked him if I would be better with the HPS pads and he recommend that I try the Stoptech 309 pads. The initial bite and release are good and are still effective in the high temp range.

I just might try them.
First off, Ken I wanted to meet you in person when you showed up @ DC, but I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off. I hope you had a good time.

RE: the pads. HPS would be much more suitable for your wants, and I feel a better stopping pad than the StopTechs, but could help with either if Mike can't. Now I know a lot of folks with Baers and such like grabby pads because it seems the "Pro-Touring" thing to do is not run power brakes and so that bite is needed.

There are Ferodo's for your calipers as I recall too. But HPS 5.0's are good "let's try something else" starting point.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:29 PM
Bigwebb
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
Yes, I started using the Ferodo DS2500 as a street and track pad and it works pretty well.

how is the nosie on these? Running hawk hp plus now and I've got to give them up. Just too noisy
Old 05-26-2017, 10:04 PM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
First off, Ken I wanted to meet you in person when you showed up @ DC, but I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off. I hope you had a good time.

RE: the pads. HPS would be much more suitable for your wants, and I feel a better stopping pad than the StopTechs, but could help with either if Mike can't. Now I know a lot of folks with Baers and such like grabby pads because it seems the "Pro-Touring" thing to do is not run power brakes and so that bite is needed.

There are Ferodo's for your calipers as I recall too. But HPS 5.0's are good "let's try something else" starting point.
Hi Sam. Sorry for the late response, it's only been a year and we did chat at the Crows Landing tour a month ago. I just saw your response to this matter today.

You mentioned Mike, are you referring to Maier, my son-in-law? No, it was Craig Nagler that recommended the Stop Techs to me. Mike Maier has been trying to get me to put Wilwoods on my car and use the Wilwood pads. I'm staying with my Baers

Maybe I should try the Ferodos. I think I saw you signed up for the two events in Lincoln for the Memorial weekend so I'll wait a few days ad give you call.

Oh, by the way, my Hawk HP Pluses do not make any noise and besides running them on my autocross car with the Baers, I have them on my Ruby and my C5 ZO6 and they do not make any noise.

Last edited by Nokones; 05-26-2017 at 10:20 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Hawk 5.0 and Street Race Pads

Old 05-27-2017, 10:22 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bigwebb
how is the nosie on these? Running hawk hp plus now and I've got to give them up. Just too noisy
They are as quiet as the OEM pads on the street. They even worked fine in the cold over the winter, so you don't give up anything with them on the street.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:59 PM
C6C3Vettes
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Need help on brake pads....please!

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
They are as quiet as the OEM pads on the street. They even worked fine in the cold over the winter, so you don't give up anything with them on the street.
I have a 2013 GS M6 and a newbie at road courses.

I run HPDE events and also street the car. I'm on my second set of OEM drilled rotors and using Hawk Performance Street / Track HB658R.570 pad-lets. As the session goes on these brakes squeal like the pads need to be changed, but there is plenty pad left. The hotter they get the louder they are. They brake dust on these pads are awful as well.

I was just at a HPDE and received a lot of free advice but now more confused than ever. I'm ready to spend some $$ to correct it, but unsure what direction to go or what I need.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:01 AM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Originally Posted by C6C3Vettes
I have a 2013 GS M6 and a newbie at road courses.

I run HPDE events and also street the car. I'm on my second set of OEM drilled rotors and using Hawk Performance Street / Track HB658R.570 pad-lets. As the session goes on these brakes squeal like the pads need to be changed, but there is plenty pad left. The hotter they get the louder they are. They brake dust on these pads are awful as well.

I was just at a HPDE and received a lot of free advice but now more confused than ever. I'm ready to spend some $$ to correct it, but unsure what direction to go or what I need.

Thanks in advance.
That's odd. Those Hawk Street/Track pads really are track pads, so I would expect them to squeal a lot when cold and when driving on the street. Forgetting the noise, when they are hot, do they actually stop the car?

As far as brake dust goes, with any high performance pad you are going to get brake dust (unless you switch the whole brakes setup to Carbon Ceramic).

The one obvious upgrade I did was the rotors. They OEM ones just don't take anywhere near the beating that the better aftermarket ones do (at least the ones that came on my C7). I don't think that will help your noise problem though.

Last edited by Jay_Davis; 05-29-2017 at 11:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
C6C3Vettes (05-29-2017)

Quick Reply: Hawk 5.0 and Street Race Pads