Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmets and a C7

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 11:32 AM
AKKutz
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Helmets and a C7

Looking for some input. I have a C7 and I like to sit forward. I have the seat set where my knees are a few inches away from dash, the seat bottom is tilted all the way up and the seat back is as forward as I can get it. When I take it to the dealer for the oil service they cuss me.

I am not a small person, 6'3", 230lbs. Most my height is in my upper body, inseam 32".

In this position, I can sit in my car with one of my Arai Corse X helmets on, with slight rubbing on roof liner. I just bought and am returning a RaceQuip open face SA2015. There is no way I can sit in my car with this lid on!! I need a SA2015 car type helmet, I have plenty of M2015 but can't run them.

Anyone have any personal experience in this department and can chime in?

Thanks,
Tony
Old 07-19-2016, 12:49 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

I'm only 6'2" 220 lbs 32" inseam, but I don't sit anything like you do!

My seat is basically all the way back. I like the C7 MUCH better than the C6 - the extendable steering column moves back much farther and I can get a much better "bent arm" position in the C7 whereas my arms were almost straight C6.

Also, I've only run one track event with my C7 so far, but was VERY comfortable. I have 2 tops - the body color top with a headliner, and the transparent top which does not have a headliner.

At the track event I ran I drove with the transparent top on the car, and without a headliner there's probably an inch-and-a-half extra clearance for your helmet.

Bottom line - I'm a little shorter than you, but have no problem wearing my helmet with the transparent roof. I haven't even tried it with the solid roof with the headliner.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:01 PM
AKKutz
Burning Brakes

I had the two tops, but sold the transparent.... Only after doing so, did it dawn on me that I might have wanted to keep that for track events....

But what I am really looking for is what helmet do you use?
Old 07-20-2016, 12:13 PM
AKKutz
Burning Brakes

Anybody wear a helmet in a C7 corvette?
Old 07-20-2016, 10:45 PM
Silver -V-
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am 6'1, and have driven several students C7 cars with no real headroom issue. I am running a Black Armor 2015 helmet. It is light and comfortable. blackarmorhelmets.com
Old 07-21-2016, 07:09 AM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm ~6'1", with a C7 (painted rood) and use an open face helmet (pyrotech?) and have no issues. I am sitting lower though using Kirkey race seats on hardbar rail/mounts.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:03 PM
AKKutz
Burning Brakes

Going to bring this back up. Does anyone know if full face has less crown than 3/4 helmet? No way I can sit in the car with a 3/4. I can with my M rated full face, but this will not pass tech.

Get notified of new replies

To Helmets and a C7

Quick Reply: Helmets and a C7