Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cool-A-Clava

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 05:07 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Buddha
Thank you guys for the reviews! Any issues with your helmet being tighter? Also, did you put this under the padding or just on top of the padding with double-sided tape? Got a pic of your helmet with it in there?
I just laided mine in my helmet. Empty is is like 4 sheets of paper so I don't feel it adding anything to my helmet. I taped the hoses as pictured to my helmet and that keeps the thing planted with my head going in and out. The thing kinda folds on itself so some parts are thicker on your head. I thought this would be a pinch point like your sock folded in your shoe but I can't feel it. It is so light you don't feel it. It is like the feel of those paper things you put over your shoes at the hospital. I don't think it will last too long but at 100 bucks I'm OK with it. We will see. The way I taped it surprisingly does not interfere with HANS.

For logistical reasons I can't try mine with water for a couple of weeks. My engine is out and my garage a mess.

It 's fittings did not match my FAST shirts which are pretty old so I just ordered the right fittings from mcmastercarr.com
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
Captain Buddha (07-24-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 11:01 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Just ordered mine yesterday - thank you all for your input!
Old 07-28-2016, 12:14 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Got it today, planning on testing it and the TA2 Camaro tomorrow.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:20 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

WOW! Best thing I've bought lately! If you're on the fence, stop....go buy it!!!

Some folks thought it might require a
larger helmet - it is so thin I actually put it under my balaclava. Helmet
fit just fine and everything was very comfortable.
The following users liked this post:
SunnydayDILYSI (07-28-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 09:33 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Just got mine. Can't wait to try it. Thanks for all the good info!
Old 07-30-2016, 10:43 AM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm so glad I found this thread. I've been on the fence and have considered buying a new helmet with a blower system or integrated coolshirt connections. Looks like I'll give this a shot first.

For those who've already tried this, do you find yourself wanting a blower system too or does this completely solve the head heat problem?
Old 07-30-2016, 10:51 AM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Grabbed_Crow_Mobe

For those who've already tried this, do you find yourself wanting a blower system too or does this completely solve the head heat problem?
It completely solves the heat head problem for me.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:01 AM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
I'm so glad I found this thread. I've been on the fence and have considered buying a new helmet with a blower system or integrated coolshirt connections. Looks like I'll give this a shot first.

I already have a blower system and I think the two compliment each other. One thing I think you should take into consideration with the blower system is fresh breathing air. Even on a 90 degree day, I'd rather be breathing fresh 90 degree air as opposed to 140 degree ambient temperature air which may or may not have carbon monoxide and raw gas fumes (while idling on grid). It also does a good job to help keep your face shield from getting fogged. (But this really applies more to my Stilo helmet which directs some air to the shield).
Old 07-30-2016, 07:35 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

I've got a forced air system as well. It helps keep the sweat out of my eyes and gets fresh air in. As mentioned, I think both are a good thing together.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:34 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

If you are looking for just a head-only cooling system, new offering:

https://www.teamdi.com/product/cools...d-cooling-kit/
Old 09-13-2016, 01:12 AM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

What size pumps are you using with both cool shirt and clava? I have a 500gph pump and when both shirt and clava are hooked up, it just barely puts enough pressure to move water through the system. And if I bend the clava just a little near the entry/exit points, it cuts off the flow entirely. I blew out all my lines to make sure there wasn't any obstructions. Maybe I just need a bigger pump?
Old 09-13-2016, 12:04 PM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
Just an update - used it all day in 95 degree heat. It's amazing. Worth it's weight in gold. I guess the only slight downside is that my head was freezing from time to time and I was actually tempted to turn it off during the race. But honestly at the end of the race waiting in impound I usually take my helmet off as fast as possible and guzzle some water. This time I just sat there cold and refreshed and didn't even bother taking my helmet off. Go out and buy one now.
Sounds tempting. In the DP I wear a vest that's also used by ARMY Apache Pilots. It works ok. Will this Cool A Clava work alone or must you use it w cool shirt ?

Usually Before race I pour ice cold water on my head, chest, back, left arm which helps for a bit also wear regular balaclava to keep sweat out of my eyes.

FL summer heat is brutal and the DP has closed Windows & now much for ventilation.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:12 PM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

Originally Posted by Mjolitor 68
Sounds tempting. In the DP I wear a vest that's also used by ARMY Apache Pilots. It works ok. Will this Cool A Clava work alone or must you use it w cool shirt ?

Usually Before race I pour ice cold water on my head, chest, back, left arm which helps for a bit also wear regular balaclava to keep sweat out of my eyes.

FL summer heat is brutal and the DP has closed Windows & now much for ventilation.
You can use it alone or connected to a cool shirt in series.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:52 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I tried mine this weekend but gave up after one session. When I was all belted in it kept crimping the host to the coolaclava which cut off flow to everything. The small hoses it has are just much easier to crimp than the cool shirt ones. I'll have to spend more time trying to work on the hose routing.
Old 06-26-2022, 11:33 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Back from the dead!

I think I want one now. Curious how many others have tried it successfully or otherwise as poorsha experienced.

Last edited by Supercharged111; 06-27-2022 at 10:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Cool-A-Clava