Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IMSA continental tire series question

Old 07-20-2016, 10:04 AM
wkidvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Default IMSA continental tire series question

Does anyone know why the recent entry list within the GS class of the Continental Tire Series is very low?

The most recent event held at the Canadian Tire Motorsport Park only 4 GS class cars were entered.

We attended races last year with 12 or more cars particapting. Why the sudden change?
Old 07-20-2016, 10:59 AM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,969 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Because GS teams are fed up with IMSA.

Actually, that is only partly true. Costs and the Cayman GT4 had something to do with it as well. The class is definitely in a transition period, and CTMP was a little of an anomaly. 4 Camaros ran last year, and all are gone (Stevenson went to IMSA Weathertech in Audis, and Mantella was fed up with IMSA's BoP and went to World Challenge). The very successful Rum Bum team suspended operations a couple of months back, with no reasoning why (I'm guessing costs). Nissan pulled out after last year to focus their racing $$ on the GT-R in World Challenge. For CTMP, The Aston Martin sat you (not sure why) and a couple of the Porsches sat out due to unfavorable BoP. So, lots of teams dropping out for the season, and a few sitting out CTMP.

I know they have had delivery issues of getting Cayman GT4s to European teams, not sure if that has impacted US teams or not.

So, there will be 8 cars for Lime Rock, a big step up from CMTP, but the class is really strugglingd and needs some help. IMSA needs to figure out costs and the right spec. I imagine they will go full GT4 next year, not sure if that will help or not.
The following users liked this post:
wkidvette (07-20-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 12:06 PM
wkidvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by z28lt1
Because GS teams are fed up with IMSA.

Actually, that is only partly true. Costs and the Cayman GT4 had something to do with it as well. The class is definitely in a transition period, and CTMP was a little of an anomaly. 4 Camaros ran last year, and all are gone (Stevenson went to IMSA Weathertech in Audis, and Mantella was fed up with IMSA's BoP and went to World Challenge). The very successful Rum Bum team suspended operations a couple of months back, with no reasoning why (I'm guessing costs). Nissan pulled out after last year to focus their racing $$ on the GT-R in World Challenge. For CTMP, The Aston Martin sat you (not sure why) and a couple of the Porsches sat out due to unfavorable BoP. So, lots of teams dropping out for the season, and a few sitting out CTMP.

I know they have had delivery issues of getting Cayman GT4s to European teams, not sure if that has impacted US teams or not.

So, there will be 8 cars for Lime Rock, a big step up from CMTP, but the class is really strugglingd and needs some help. IMSA needs to figure out costs and the right spec. I imagine they will go full GT4 next year, not sure if that will help or not.
Its disappointing to take the time and money to attend these events, when the entry list is 8 or fewer cars the quality of the event is diminished. Thanks for the information.

Get notified of new replies

To IMSA continental tire series question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IMSA continental tire series question