Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service ABS - Service Active Handling & Engine Drag Control Actve

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 10:13 PM
Deuce Man
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Service ABS - Service Active Handling & Engine Drag Control Actve

I've got a 2007 base w/ Z51 package that I track several times a year and drive on the street.

So a few weeks ago I started noticing that when driving on the street my dash started flashing "Engine Drag Control Active" when letting off the throttle and coasting with the clutch engaged. I did a little searching and every result came back with telling me that everyone who had this issue didn't have stock size tires on. I do have a separate set of track/rims and tires, but they are the correct ratio, and I had this issue with the stock street tires on...so I am saying this is not the cause. It also happens randomly, and I can't reproduce it regularly.

Then, when at Mid-Ohio last weekend on the track, the last session of the day I had warnings pop up on the dash that kept flashing "Service ABS" and 'Service Active Handling". After taking me out of Competitive Driving Mode, I came off track. I shut the car off, started it back up and all the warning were gone. I then drove the car the next day (Sunday) all day on the track, without any issues.

Then, I swapped pads and tires back to stock and was driving the car to work this morning and had the same "Engine Drag Control Active" a couple times, then I got the same "Service ABS" and "Service Active Handling" warnings pop up. Got to work, parked the car, came out for lunch and no issues driving it around town. Then on the way home, I got the "Engine Drag Control" warning once or twice, but no ABS or AH warnings.

Now, my speculation is that one of the wheel ABS sensors in the rear is acting up. Not sure if it is the sensor, or maybe I melted a wire that is shorting out...no idea what it might actually be. I speculate that its a rear sensor since the "Engine Drag Control Active" warning pops up, telling me that the computer doesn't see one of the rear wheels moving, thinking it is locked up, engaged the engine drag control as a result. Curious is anyone has had the same issue, and if so, what was the result. It's definitely intermittent at this point, and has happened at the track and on the street. I'm certain it has nothing to do with tire sizes, as it happened on both stock street tires and track tires.

Open to thoughts, suggestions, and help.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:03 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuce Man
I've got a 2007 base w/ Z51 package that I track several times a year and drive on the street.

So a few weeks ago I started noticing that when driving on the street my dash started flashing "Engine Drag Control Active" when letting off the throttle and coasting with the clutch engaged. I did a little searching and every result came back with telling me that everyone who had this issue didn't have stock size tires on. I do have a separate set of track/rims and tires, but they are the correct ratio, and I had this issue with the stock street tires on...so I am saying this is not the cause. It also happens randomly, and I can't reproduce it regularly.

Then, when at Mid-Ohio last weekend on the track, the last session of the day I had warnings pop up on the dash that kept flashing "Service ABS" and 'Service Active Handling". After taking me out of Competitive Driving Mode, I came off track. I shut the car off, started it back up and all the warning were gone. I then drove the car the next day (Sunday) all day on the track, without any issues.

Then, I swapped pads and tires back to stock and was driving the car to work this morning and had the same "Engine Drag Control Active" a couple times, then I got the same "Service ABS" and "Service Active Handling" warnings pop up. Got to work, parked the car, came out for lunch and no issues driving it around town. Then on the way home, I got the "Engine Drag Control" warning once or twice, but no ABS or AH warnings.

Now, my speculation is that one of the wheel ABS sensors in the rear is acting up. Not sure if it is the sensor, or maybe I melted a wire that is shorting out...no idea what it might actually be. I speculate that its a rear sensor since the "Engine Drag Control Active" warning pops up, telling me that the computer doesn't see one of the rear wheels moving, thinking it is locked up, engaged the engine drag control as a result. Curious is anyone has had the same issue, and if so, what was the result. It's definitely intermittent at this point, and has happened at the track and on the street. I'm certain it has nothing to do with tire sizes, as it happened on both stock street tires and track tires.

Open to thoughts, suggestions, and help.
A dealer with a Tech2 could tell you what sensors are misbehaving. Even intermittent faults are logged and can be retrieved by the Tech2. I had the dealer give me a printout once and it had info like this:
C0035 Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor Circ -- History -- The EBCM detects a rapid variation in the wheel speed. The wheel speed changes by 20 km/h (12 mph) or more in 0.01 second. The change must occur 3 times with no more than 0.2 seconds between occurrences.
If you have a friend with an Aim Solo DS you can log rpms of all four wheels -- that's how I diagnose my "Service Active Handing, Service ABS" messages these days.

"Engine Drag Control" is usually accompanied by the computer adding throttle to prevent the rear wheels from losing traction. Engine drag wouldn't affect one rear wheel -- it would affect both -- so I am not sure a single wheel speed sensor failure could cause that.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:09 PM
rkdc5z06
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

take out your ABS module and send it to ABS fixer and they will take care for you. I've spent about $150 + shipping and when I got mine back, all the lights went away.
Now I got my TCS, ABS, AH back.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:01 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

The engine drag control warning comes on when the rear wheels aren't turning as fast as they should be in comparison to the front wheel speeds.

You won't get a code with this because it could be due to normal operation of the car. Since you have stock tire sizes on I doubt the issue is due to having too large of a tire on the rear or too small of a tire on the front. The Service ABS message could be due to a number of things but since it occurs about the same time you get the Drag Control Message when you shouldn't be getting that message I suspect you are correct in suspecting one of the hubs.

The first thing I would try and do is take the car to an Auto Parts Store that has a scanner that can scan for ABS codes. Need more than an OBDII scanner. Before you go to the store wait until you get the Service Message then go the store and without shutting off the car have them scan for codes. This may point out the hub that is having the problem.

After that or while waiting for the Service Message to reoccur you could check the hubs individually. Get the car in the air and see if there is any play in any of them. Then turn the hubs slowly while carefully listening for any grinding, growling or other noises. The only way I found one bad hub was by removing it from the car and slowly turning it in my hands. I could feel the roughness of the bearing. Any roughness or looseness in the bearing may permit enough variation in hub movement to to make the sensor send spurious speed signals to the EBCM. I can't say for sure but I suspect a loose hub will have more of a tendency to send higher frequency signals Vs lower frequency signals. That could indicate the first place to look is one of the front hubs since a higher frequency signal in the front would make the EBCM think the rear hubs aren't turning fast enough.

If you haven't changed hubs in a while it may be time to throw 4 SKF hubs on the car.

Good Luck. This one may involve some work before you get it resolved.

Bill
Old 09-08-2016, 11:05 PM
Deuce Man
Instructor

Originally Posted by rkdc5z06
take out your ABS module and send it to ABS fixer and they will take care for you. I've spent about $150 + shipping and when I got mine back, all the lights went away.
Now I got my TCS, ABS, AH back.
Can you explain the symptoms you were having. It doesn't seem like it's the ABS module to me, as it functions fine. I just have the intermittent issue and the tell tale sign is when "Engine Drag Control Active" starts popping up.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:08 PM
Deuce Man
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The engine drag control warning comes on when the rear wheels aren't turning as fast as they should be in comparison to the front wheel speeds.

You won't get a code with this because it could be due to normal operation of the car. Since you have stock tire sizes on I doubt the issue is due to having too large of a tire on the rear or too small of a tire on the front. The Service ABS message could be due to a number of things but since it occurs about the same time you get the Drag Control Message when you shouldn't be getting that message I suspect you are correct in suspecting one of the hubs.

The first thing I would try and do is take the car to an Auto Parts Store that has a scanner that can scan for ABS codes. Need more than an OBDII scanner. Before you go to the store wait until you get the Service Message then go the store and without shutting off the car have them scan for codes. This may point out the hub that is having the problem.

After that or while waiting for the Service Message to reoccur you could check the hubs individually. Get the car in the air and see if there is any play in any of them. Then turn the hubs slowly while carefully listening for any grinding, growling or other noises. The only way I found one bad hub was by removing it from the car and slowly turning it in my hands. I could feel the roughness of the bearing. Any roughness or looseness in the bearing may permit enough variation in hub movement to to make the sensor send spurious speed signals to the EBCM. I can't say for sure but I suspect a loose hub will have more of a tendency to send higher frequency signals Vs lower frequency signals. That could indicate the first place to look is one of the front hubs since a higher frequency signal in the front would make the EBCM think the rear hubs aren't turning fast enough.

If you haven't changed hubs in a while it may be time to throw 4 SKF hubs on the car.

Good Luck. This one may involve some work before you get it resolved.

Bill
Bill, thanks for the feedback! So, with tracking the car, I have wondered how long the stock hubs would last. Your logic seems to make sense. If possible, I will try to take it somewhere next time when the lights come on to try and get good feedback on what is happening. Any suggestions on the best place to buy the SKF hubs?

Still interested if anyone else has ever had identical or similar symptoms.

Get notified of new replies

To Service ABS - Service Active Handling & Engine Drag Control Actve

Quick Reply: Service ABS - Service Active Handling & Engine Drag Control Actve