Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about C5/C6 SKF 'race' hubs

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 02:18 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 735 Likes on 545 Posts

Default Question about C5/C6 SKF 'race' hubs

Every other car I've seen using a double row ball bearing for wheel bearings has a bearing with a split inner race, and relies on the the stub axle/wheel hub/axle nut to keep it from coming apart.
SKF has same part number F and R... the rear has the axle going through it with the big nut on the end. It's not going anywhere, but the F has nothing but air. I gotta assume that these are built so they CAN'T come apart?
Probably just paranoid thinking... but these are run as-is in the front, no need to have something holding them together?
Thanks!
Old 09-10-2016, 02:57 PM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

It's not coming apart. I had a bad one that I tried to get apart just to see how it was put together. Nope, I gave up after about 30 minutes or so. I had a 12 ton press and a lathe at my disposal as well. I could have used the band saw but I'm sure I would have wasted a blade and I had lost interest by then.
The following users liked this post:
Nowanker (09-10-2016)
Old 09-10-2016, 06:15 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 735 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by phipp85
It's not coming apart. I had a bad one that I tried to get apart just to see how it was put together. Nope, I gave up after about 30 minutes or so. I had a 12 ton press and a lathe at my disposal as well. I could have used the band saw but I'm sure I would have wasted a blade and I had lost interest by then.

That's good to know. I have a pair on the car, and got to thinkin' about it.

Get notified of new replies

To Question about C5/C6 SKF 'race' hubs

Quick Reply: Question about C5/C6 SKF 'race' hubs