Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gearing a supercharger for autocross

Old 10-31-2016, 10:25 AM
Jeremy Shute
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearing a supercharger for autocross

I have a C5Z. The only racing I do is autocross, mostly on low-speed lots. There were several races this year where I didn't get out of first gear.

I'm thinking of installing a supercharger, not with the intent of helping during autocross ... but at least not HURTING.

I'd stay in the neighborhood of the stock recommendation for, say, the A&A kit, ~550RWHP and ~450 ft. lbs. at the wheels:

I'd like to keep first gear USABLE.

I'm making a big assumption that GM knows what they're doing. A ZR-1 has about 525 ft. lbs. at the wheels:

GM geared the C6 ZR1 to go about 66mph in 1st.

My C5Z seems geared to do about 48 in 1st, with probably 350ft.lbs. at the wheels.

My other options seem to be the 3.15 and the 2.73, the latter of which seems to be right between how the C5Z is geared with stock power and how Chevrolet geared the ZR1.

So,
  1. Do folks think the 2.73 is too short or too tall?
  2. Does the 2.73 swap into the C5Z diff?
  3. Where does one acquire the 2.73?
Old 10-31-2016, 10:52 AM
zrtman1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The ZR1 has different trans ratios. RPM can rebuild your trans with these ratios. Or run the non-Z06 trans trans which has a first ratio in between the two.

The autos had the highways gears like your looking for I think. You could just swap the whole diff. I think it would be pretty doggy imo.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:47 AM
Jeremy Shute
Cruising

Originally Posted by zrtman1
The ZR1 has different trans ratios. RPM can rebuild your trans with these ratios. Or run the non-Z06 trans trans which has a first ratio in between the two.

The autos had the highways gears like your looking for I think. You could just swap the whole diff. I think it would be pretty doggy imo.
The first 3 gears look pretty good. 60/86/125 C5Z 2.73 vs. 66/93/124 ZR1.

The top 3 gears do look pretty doggy, though, you're right. 179/213/319 (!!!) C5Z 2.73 vs. 150/186/224 ZR1

Looks like the better swap would be the tranny, not the diff, yep.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:44 PM
bigmackloud
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

So during an autocross, are you running out of rpm now?

I guess my question is what are you trying to gain with the gearing change? Do you need more mph in 1st, or are you just trying to dull down the horsepower for traction sake?

I don't have much specific advice for forced induction with a Vette, but I would suggest careful planning to get something with a nice linear power curve. I had a centrifugal supercharger on my Mustang (615rwhp), and a turbo on my Miata (um, less hp), and neither would I call linear. That was part of my motivation to buy a Corvette. I love the linear N/A power. No surprises mid-corner.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:56 PM
dhowdy
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? My car had just under 500 ft. lb., base C5 trans ratios, 3.90 in the rear, put my total gearing just barely taller than a stock C5Z... it's manageable.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:26 PM
chpmnsws6
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

I run a c6z trans with 3.42's. I shift to 2nd as soon as possible and ride it out for most the track, sometimes shifting into 3rd and back. 1st is constant peddling and 2nd after 4500rpm is too.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:07 PM
Jeremy Shute
Cruising

I'm trying to have my fun on the street but not spin the car during autocross. The issue is traction. First is usable with throttle modulation in a straight line but I suspect more power would just make the car more difficult to drive quickly.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:19 AM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leave the gearing alone and just shift to 2nd.

-TJ
Old 11-01-2016, 08:03 AM
shane p
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 98 Posts

Have you thought about heads and cam instead of forced induction. We did heads and cam on my brothers z and he is making 480ish to the wheels I think, you don't heed a ton of power for autocross, to much can cause you problems and you add a lot of heat when you go forced induction.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:19 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

The problem with staying in first in an autocross is that the car slows down as soon as you lift and there is a huge amount of weight transfer due to engine braking that tends to upset the car.

Since you can only put down as much power as you generally have in second gear coming off of even slower and medium speed corners, trying to get a lot more power is generally a waste of time (literally).

Or, to put it another way, if you try to put down more power than you have in second gear you're likely going to just have a bunch of wheel spin or you're going to break the back end loose.

If the events you generally run are "point and squirt" type of events then what you are thinking about might help, but the idea in autocross is to maximize corner speed and corner exit speed because you aren't generally accelerating that much anyway.

Roger Johnson tells the story where when he was just learning the sport, at the last event of the season he got beat by like 2 seconds and he was determined that it was that his year of car was way down on power compared to the guy that beat him... Over the winter he did a bunch of engine mods and when he came back out at the first event of the year got beat by 4 seconds by the same guy....

At that point the light bulb came on and suddenly realized it wasn't power, it was the driver and grip that was the most important in autocross and the rest is history.

Since you haven't spent a bunch on a supercharger yet you could invest in handling and seat time and have more fun and spend less overall.

If you are bound and determined to go with some kind of forced induction you don't want a centrifugal supercharger, you want a positive displacement blower that will get you more power in the mid range as opposed to just high end power.

As I noted above, running in first takes a lot more finesse on the throttle not to upset the car. This is why Matthew Braun always just gets the car in second and drives it and never bothers to downshift, even in slow corners. As he always says, the gain in acceleration isn't worth the upset of the car when running in the lower gear.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:09 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Two thoughts here.

First, I always try to get into 2nd as quickly as possible.

Secondly, I've never seen any benefit to a supercharger, or turbocharger, at an autocross. I've seen a lot of frustration and a lot of overheating issues though.

Back when I was running an Austin Healey Sprite I used to comment that I had never been beaten by a 930 Porsche Turbo. I think my Sprite had about 35 horsepower and it was always faster than any Porsche, especially the 930s.

When I ran nationally I had less horsepower than anyone in my class. Of course everyone in my class accused me of having a very expensive high horsepower engine. Actually, I encouraged that thought.

I always wanted to be protested for engine modifications. Just don't look under my car.

The All-time Greatest Solo 2 Corvette - Ever

Richard Newton
Roger Johnson's Solo2 Corvette
Old 11-04-2016, 02:19 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by tjZ06
Leave the gearing alone and just shift to 2nd.

-TJ
Originally Posted by Solofast
The problem with staying in first in an autocross is that the car slows down as soon as you lift and there is a huge amount of weight transfer due to engine braking that tends to upset the car.

Since you can only put down as much power as you generally have in second gear coming off of even slower and medium speed corners, trying to get a lot more power is generally a waste of time (literally).

Or, to put it another way, if you try to put down more power than you have in second gear you're likely going to just have a bunch of wheel spin or you're going to break the back end loose.

If the events you generally run are "point and squirt" type of events then what you are thinking about might help, but the idea in autocross is to maximize corner speed and corner exit speed because you aren't generally accelerating that much anyway.

Roger Johnson tells the story where when he was just learning the sport, at the last event of the season he got beat by like 2 seconds and he was determined that it was that his year of car was way down on power compared to the guy that beat him... Over the winter he did a bunch of engine mods and when he came back out at the first event of the year got beat by 4 seconds by the same guy....

At that point the light bulb came on and suddenly realized it wasn't power, it was the driver and grip that was the most important in autocross and the rest is history.

Since you haven't spent a bunch on a supercharger yet you could invest in handling and seat time and have more fun and spend less overall.

If you are bound and determined to go with some kind of forced induction you don't want a centrifugal supercharger, you want a positive displacement blower that will get you more power in the mid range as opposed to just high end power.

As I noted above, running in first takes a lot more finesse on the throttle not to upset the car. This is why Matthew Braun always just gets the car in second and drives it and never bothers to downshift, even in slow corners. As he always says, the gain in acceleration isn't worth the upset of the car when running in the lower gear.
I agree with both of these. I ran my C5Z in autocrosses for 6 years and took my fair share of FTDs.

Bill
Old 11-06-2016, 05:45 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Listen to these guys in #10/11/12. You will be shooting yourself in both feet (for autox) with a supercharger. But, I know, guys do what they're gonna do, so all the best.

Last edited by froggy47; 11-06-2016 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:23 PM
Josh67
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What about a healthy shot of Nitrous for messing around? You can take the bottle out anytime you want. It won't add any weight to the front for autocross.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:37 PM
Jeremy Shute
Cruising

Originally Posted by froggy47
Listen to these guys in #10/11/12. You will be shooting yourself in both feet (for autox) with a supercharger. But, I know, guys do what they're gonna do, so all the best.

​​​​​​I agree with everything said here. The experience I got this year suggested more power would be unusable ... without taller gearing, that is.

Also this corroborates: http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets15.html

If I can't figure out a way to not hurt drivability and traction ... I just won't do it. Right now it seems like the easiest answer is "if you want a faster Corvette, buy one that's geared to be usable at autocross." At C5Z + $5500 + install + tune + clutch ... without even considering gearing ... the C6Z starts looking like a real deal.

Jeremy
Old 11-06-2016, 09:21 PM
chpmnsws6
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

The C6Z is a much better car overall. I often think about buying one, but this base model is too much fun. Just shift and be done with it
Old 11-07-2016, 01:00 PM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

its not uncommon that guys take off the sc to be able to autocross the car.

Last edited by romandian; 11-07-2016 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:36 PM
zrtman1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You should ride in a supercharged C5. The power is somewhat on/off - it would be hard to control at lower speeds unless you really underspun the centri (low boost). Roots/maggie style make power from idle up but they overheat from what I have seen.

2.73 complete diffs are cheap.. try one if that is what you want. Not a hard swap just somewhat time consuming.

Get notified of new replies

To Gearing a supercharger for autocross

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gearing a supercharger for autocross