Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Video with HPtuners data - anybody doing it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 09:23 AM
zrtman1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Video with HPtuners data - anybody doing it?

Just wondering if anybody on here is data logging with HPtuners and then adding video from a gopro or cell phone. Looks like Race Render will do it. Or any other suggestions?

I already have:
Samsung S6
Gopro 3 Black
HPtuners data logging.
Harrys Lap timer

From what I have read on here I should use an external GPS.

Any thoughts or comments. It is just HPDE.. not racing.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:45 AM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

I have tried a whole bunch of different combos. I use Racerender in all cases for combining/syncing everything up.

If you want EASY, use TrackAddict app and use external GPS (I use XGPS 160) and OBD Bluetooth dongle (I use OBDLink MX). Since TrackAddict is made by hptuners as well...everything works in Racerender seamlessly (there's even a transfer option in the app to send to racerender). One data file, 1 video file...easy to sync up and use at the track, the app will do it all automatically.

If you go with HPtuners logging, you will have to sync up 2 different data files (one with gps/lap/g force data and one with obd data). Not impossible but it adds a layer of complexity and in my experience you'll have do a bit of guessing and checking until everything is lined up perfect. In this case, harrys should work fine... trackaddict will be a bit more seamless but not a huge difference or advantage one way or another.

Biggest advantage of using hptuners to log is that you have way more parameters available to log and the rate is much better. ON efilive I can do 24 channels at 10 hz.... Bluetooth is about 3 channels at 6 hz (on a C5Z...C6/C7 is probably better for Bluetooth). Bluetooth generally only has basic info such as RPM, speed, throttle. HPtunes you can get more and better data-- accel pedal position, knock, oil pressure, trans temp, tons more options.

I've primarily used TrackAddict / Bluetooth up until this point. It was easy and sufficient for video overlay stuff. But now that I had a piston crack and engine go boom on the track, I'm a bit more paranoid and want to watch the engine more closely. So I am going to start using my EFIlive flash scan to log and use app for lap timer.... Probably Harry's as I think it's a little better lap timer.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by aaronc7; 11-08-2016 at 10:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
zrtman1 (11-08-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 11:58 AM
zrtman1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by aaronc7
I have tried a whole bunch of different combos. I use Racerender in all cases for combining/syncing everything up.

If you want EASY, use TrackAddict app and use external GPS (I use XGPS 160) and OBD Bluetooth dongle (I use OBDLink MX). Since TrackAddict is made by hptuners as well...everything works in Racerender seamlessly (there's even a transfer option in the app to send to racerender). One data file, 1 video file...easy to sync up and use at the track, the app will do it all automatically.

If you go with HPtuners logging, you will have to sync up 2 different data files (one with gps/lap/g force data and one with obd data). Not impossible but it adds a layer of complexity and in my experience you'll have do a bit of guessing and checking until everything is lined up perfect. In this case, harrys should work fine... trackaddict will be a bit more seamless but not a huge difference or advantage one way or another.

Biggest advantage of using hptuners to log is that you have way more parameters available to log and the rate is much better. ON efilive I can do 24 channels at 10 hz.... Bluetooth is about 3 channels at 6 hz (on a C5Z...C6/C7 is probably better for Bluetooth). Bluetooth generally only has basic info such as RPM, speed, throttle. HPtunes you can get more and better data-- accel pedal position, knock, oil pressure, trans temp, tons more options.

I've primarily used TrackAddict / Bluetooth up until this point. It was easy and sufficient for video overlay stuff. But now that I had a piston crack and engine go boom on the track, I'm a bit more paranoid and want to watch the engine more closely. So I am going to start using my EFIlive flash scan to log and use app for lap timer.... Probably Harry's as I think it's a little better lap timer.

Hope this helps.
I have external sensors set up with HPtuners (wide band, fuel pressure, etc) so that is why I am trying to use it. Thanks for the info!
Old 11-08-2016, 02:39 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

Yep my thought process is the same...I like data. I have wideband wired into my EGR pin.

Sounds like you're on the right path.... the biggest annoyance will be setting everything up in RaceRender for the first time. All of the templates only account for a single data file. The best way I have found to get started is by doing this:

-Start app, select a template... it will ask for at least 1 video file and 1 data file-- Use the GPS/lap timer data file here

-It will then ask you to select what gauges/inputs you have and want to use.... check all that you want (rpm/tach for example, go ahead and select it even though it's going to be telling you that your data file does not contain rpm data).

-Once in the main program import the hptuners data file. That gauge template thing is going to pop up again....hit CANCEL this time.

-Now you can go and click on each gauge and set it up to the appropriate input file, data column, etc. You will have to start from scratch to create certain gauges of course.

Once you have the layout complete, gauges customized how you like etc... you should be able to save the template. Should save you a lot of time and hassle in the future as long as you keep using the same basic logging setup/parameters logged.

Last edited by aaronc7; 11-08-2016 at 02:45 PM.
zrtman1 (11-09-2016)
Old 11-09-2016, 11:33 AM
zrtman1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Yep my thought process is the same...I like data. I have wideband wired into my EGR pin.

Sounds like you're on the right path.... the biggest annoyance will be setting everything up in RaceRender for the first time. All of the templates only account for a single data file. The best way I have found to get started is by doing this:

-Start app, select a template... it will ask for at least 1 video file and 1 data file-- Use the GPS/lap timer data file here

-It will then ask you to select what gauges/inputs you have and want to use.... check all that you want (rpm/tach for example, go ahead and select it even though it's going to be telling you that your data file does not contain rpm data).

-Once in the main program import the hptuners data file. That gauge template thing is going to pop up again....hit CANCEL this time.

-Now you can go and click on each gauge and set it up to the appropriate input file, data column, etc. You will have to start from scratch to create certain gauges of course.

Once you have the layout complete, gauges customized how you like etc... you should be able to save the template. Should save you a lot of time and hassle in the future as long as you keep using the same basic logging setup/parameters logged.
Thank you!
Old 11-09-2016, 02:11 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Currently I use only trackaddicts, but been thinking to add the external gps and obd tied into my iphone. Where/how do you mount the XGPS160?

With the OBDlink, can I still use gps for speed and obd for other parameters? I change between diff dia tire sets, so would rather not change the tune each time.

I'm assuming the simple channels can be overlayed on the iphone without using racerender?
Old 11-09-2016, 02:37 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

I mount mine inside the car on the dash, at the base of the windshield. I've had no reception issues.

I think TrackAddict on IOS supports rendering video w/ basic obd info. On the android version it does not. Harry's supports it on both.

If you don't log OBD/wheel speed, it will default to gps speed. Which is pretty good but even with a 10hz unit it lags a bit vs wheel speed when you first get on the brakes etc....not a huge deal IMO.
Joshboody (11-09-2016)
Old 11-09-2016, 03:36 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I mount mine inside the car on the dash, at the base of the windshield. I've had no reception issues.
Great, thanks!

So you just use the non-slip pad on the dash.
Old 11-09-2016, 04:37 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

Velcro or double sided/molding tape
Old 11-10-2016, 08:50 AM
Dubstep Shep
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hope this helps.
Innnnnnteresting. I didn't know HP tuners also made trackaddict... Glad I saw this before I bought Harry's lap timer.

Get notified of new replies

To Video with HPtuners data - anybody doing it?

Quick Reply: Video with HPtuners data - anybody doing it?